Anyone hear back from Maryland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
didnt interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I am guessing they didn't interivew you b/c they think YOU WILL NOT go to their school...some dental schools pick people that are MOST likely going to attend their school and NOT the most qualified people.. and since you are not from the east coast they didn't inteview you.... i think? only explanation...
I wish schools will interview people with the highest stats instead of their "chances" of actually attending the school in the future...

I no way, shape or form

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, I think schools roll the dice when they interview applicants. But then again they might have data to back it up. Such as in the past applicants with X gpa and X DAT score were interviewed and accepted, but only a few matriculated here. So when trying to pick between 2500 applicants to interview, likely over 1000 have pretty decent GPA and DAT's, so they have to narrow down that list to at least 300-400 interview spots (just a guess) for a class of 130.

Honestly though, since this is my second time applying, I've given up on trying to figure out what AdCom's do in those secret meetings.

this will be my second time applying too. I am also afriad to apply to TOO MANY schools, I mean I don't want my state school to be like, "well this person is applying to alot of schools, so they properly like some of these schools better then US, so lets not interivew her" or something like that...or "she apply to 15 schools, chances are she has some acceptance already, lets NOT accept her b/c she has a few acceptances already..." if any of the above happen to me then my chances of getting in will be lower again!
So I am debating on applying to 5-10 schools b/c I won't want any dental school to think I am applying to TOO MANY and that I am not going to attend their school b/c I am applying to so many!!

I agree, I think schools roll the dice when they interview applicants. But then again they might have data to back it up. Such as in the past applicants with X gpa and X DAT score were interviewed and accepted, but only a few matriculated here. So when trying to pick between 2500 applicants to interview, likely over 1000 have pretty decent GPA and DAT's, so they have to narrow down that list to at least 300-400 interview spots (just a guess) for a class of 130.

Honestly though, since this is my second time applying, I've given up on trying to figure out what AdCom's do in those secret meetings.

schools can only interview so many people so its in their best interest to look at how to recruit the students they want and adjust their invitations accordingly. If you are REALLY interested in a school but don't hear from them you should talk to them and express your intents.... just my 2 cents

Luckily I was accepted this time at UMD (my 2nd try). It is rather stressful that schools are trying to play psychologists and decide if an applicant will come to their school if accepted. What about applicants that have ties to that state, such as someone from California who's wife is moving to Virginia for work, etc. How is the school going to know about those ties when they "roll the dice and play psychologist". Even though they may have great grades and DAT, they might not get interviewed b/c historically people from out of state with great GPA/DAT did not matriculate at their school. Stuff like that nearly gave me an ulcer thinking about it when I applied the 2nd time!

I think 5-10 schools is fine. 1st application for me was 10 schools, most didn't send me anything or even let me know if my file was complete etc., a pretty big waste of $$$.

2nd application was 6 schools, now some schools were still unresponsive, but at least I didn't waste as much $$$, and finally got in.

This is me. http://www.predents.com/?page=user&user_id=2028
I am thinking about applying to
UNC (state school), Temple, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Louisville, UF, Nova, UCSF, UoP, and USC this may.
(I might take some out) but what do u think of this list? are any of these schools you know that don't respond well to out of state students?? (did you apply to any of these with no response at all??) Let me know so I will know which ones to take out... no point in wasting $$ when they won't even look at my application...

Luckily I was accepted this time at UMD (my 2nd try). It is rather stressful that schools are trying to play psychologists and decide if an applicant will come to their school if accepted. What about applicants that have ties to that state, such as someone from California who's wife is moving to Virginia for work, etc. How is the school going to know about those ties when they "roll the dice and play psychologist". Even though they may have great grades and DAT, they might not get interviewed b/c historically people from out of state with great GPA/DAT did not matriculate at their school. Stuff like that nearly gave me an ulcer thinking about it when I applied the 2nd time!

I think 5-10 schools is fine. 1st application for me was 10 schools, most didn't send me anything or even let me know if my file was complete etc., a pretty big waste of $$$.

2nd application was 6 schools, now some schools were still unresponsive, but at least I didn't waste as much $$$, and finally got in.

Got a letter from UMD today. Pretty much the class is full and now I am on the waitlist...

This is me. http://www.predents.com/?page=user&user_id=2028
I am thinking about applying to
UNC (state school), Temple, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Louisville, UF, Nova, UCSF, UoP, and USC this may.
(I might take some out) but what do u think of this list? are any of these schools you know that don't respond well to out of state students?? (did you apply to any of these with no response at all??) Let me know so I will know which ones to take out... no point in wasting $$ when they won't even look at my application...

You have great stats, and IMO that is a good list of schools. Your state school, several private schools that don't care where you're from (Temple, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Nova) and a few other state schools.

Got a letter from UMD today. Pretty much the class is full and now I am on the waitlist...

sorry to hear grinder.... mine is probably on its way (i live in florida).

did they send you an email also?

jb!:)

Well I have not heard anything lately. I hope to get an offer in the mail come beginning of April.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there a little over a week ago and I got a letter as well. Basically it said the class is filled at this moment, however, the dyamics this time of year are variable and if I'd like to remain under consideration to respond before a certain date. I'd like to remain under consideration, so I'll probably respond. Good luck to everyone who's waiting for good news from Maryland.

sorry to hear grinder.... mine is probably on its way (i live in florida).

did they send you an email also?

No email, just a letter in the mail dated March 26th. Where in Florida do you live? I went to school in Daytona Beach.

You guys hang in there. I gave back my spot at Maryland and hopefully one of you will get a shot at it. If it has been more than a month and a half since your interview, call them. It's good to know ANY kind of information. I LOVED the school but because of personal circumstances can not go there. I wish you the best of luck!

thanks dentist-to-be...

i got my letter today.... waitlisted... now the wait begins.

good luck everyone,

The mail man must have been taking his time this week. I just got the waitlist letter. It seems fairly positive!

Good luck everyone!

i'm assuming everyone that interviewed that has not been offered a spot in the class got this letter? (i.e. no interviewees have been rejected)

i talked to dr. meehan and she said that she fully expects to make additional offers....basically that there are always several people that decide to go elsewhere after the april 1st deposit deadline.

best of luck everybody :luck: let's try to keep this thread going as people receive offers post-april 1st...

did anyone receive confirmation from MD after you asked to be waitlisted? i wonder how long this list is...looks like at least 10 people in this thread alone.

did anyone receive confirmation from MD after you asked to be waitlisted? i wonder how long this list is...looks like at least 10 people in this thread alone.

in the e-mail i sent i asked for confirmation.. haven't got a reply yet.

it seems like everyone that interviewed was waitlisted (sucks, i know).....the only people i know that were rejected didn't interview.

The waiting game has JUST started, g'luck to everyone! Lets keep each other updated on whats going on, so if you guys/girls hear anything, let us know, thanks...

I got a flat out rejection on Thursday, basically saying "there is no chance for you this cycle." I interviewed in February.

When I was applying to UMD the first time, I was interviewed and waitlisted. I didn't get a rejection until June/Julyish. Thus I believe that they keep everyone on the waitlist (and therefore under consideration for any open spots) until they are 100% positive their class is full. There will likely still be spots available, I would just keep on top of things letting them know you are interested.

My second deposit deadline is April 1st, so I'm sure that other people who were accepted my round didn't send in deposits and there will be a few seats opening up. Not to mention that AADSAS will be letting the schools know who was accepted where and deposits etc. in a few weeks. So nothing is 100% final yet.

add me to the waitlist. I got my letter last Thursday as well. The letter seems positive so it gave me hope. I wonder how many people have gotten in off the waitlist in the past.
Wish all us waitlisters luck for this cycle. :)

I don't know if the letter seemed positive but lets just hope that few more seats will open up this week!

I have no clue when they're gonna make more offers... lets just hope that its soon so that I can make plans for next cycle or even a masters program

Hey guys
Regarding the question about when the next round of offers might be made, when I inteviewed there a couple of weeks ago Dr. Meehan told our group there would likely be more offers given out in early April after the April 1st deposit deadline for those already planning to attend. She said there would likely be more spots which open up after the deadline and once they have a more accurate idea of the number of seats they have available they will start sending out more offers. She told our group early April would be when the next rounds go out, so I would guess within the next week or so, but it could be a little longer as someone else has suggested. I am sure we'll hear soon enough. Good luck to everyone waiting.

I hope they don't have me wait til June/July-ish...

i just got waitlisted today. their waitlist letter sounded really nice. in the meantime, i'm not sure whether to get ready to reapply, or keep waiting on the 3 waitlists that i'm on.... ??

i talked to maryland today and they said they will make offers on a rolling basis immediately as spots become available.

best of luck everyone:luck: ,

i just got waitlisted today. their waitlist letter sounded really nice. in the meantime, i'm not sure whether to get ready to reapply, or keep waiting on the 3 waitlists that i'm on.... ??

Their rejection letter was really nice too.

hey jb! any news from umd?

I didn't interview there but I received a rejection letter 2 weeks back, which I find funny because I pulled my application from there back in November when they told me that even though I was put into English 201, I would have to go back and take English 101 (prereq for 201) as a formality.

nothing yet man. i talked to them last week and they expect some movement in the waitlist soon. i feel good news coming...:thumbup:

Good luck jb! I'm pulling for you!

hey Jack, based on tonights episode of 24 I totally think we need you on our team..... two words, Holy Crap!

if you want to go to school in baltimore than you don't know anything about baltimore :laugh:

Still waiting, anyone heard anything?