anyone hear from Ireland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me that grading system at UCD, Trinity, etc. I have checked the web sites, but can't find this info.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, pretty sure I'm goin. Filed app before Dec 15, but last letter of rec didn't get there till mid January.

jm, hmm I'm not exactly sure on this, but the first two years anyway are pass-fail. It could be the first 3 years. So for US students entering a five year program since we enter into 2nd year, our first year at least would be pass/fail. Caveat though...it's rather difficult to pass, you do really have to study to pass the course. If you fail, you're given one more chance to pass by taking supplemental exams in the summer. Then the rest of the years are graded. Okay, this is kind of hard to explain...the grades don't start from 100 and down, they start from 0 up. They denote grades like this. I, II.1, II.2, III. A I is a "first," which is the best. a II.1 is a "two-one), which is 2nd. The grading scale works so that according to US grades, a first is an A, a II.1 is an A-. II.2's are like the whole range of B's. A III is the range of C's and Ds. Everything else is failing (to different degrees). A II.2 is okay, a III is bad, a II.1 is good, a I is excellent. Numerically I don't have the grading sheet exactly, but something like this goes. 70+ is a I, 60-69 is a II.1, 50-59 is a II.2, 40-49 is a III, and eveyrthing else failing. But before you go off thinking they've got an easier scale than us, it's quite hard to get a II.1 or a I, you have to work for it. It's broken down this way because although there's a 10 point scale, within those 10 point scales are different percentage categories.

Hope that doesn't confuse you too much.

When I went abroad, of the 12 classes I took (that is considered a LOT. I almost had 11 exams in june, but got out of 3 of them), I got one first, 8 II.1's, and 3 II.2's. So pretty much I got 9 A's and 3 B's. But in medicine, PT, the health sciences...i know a ton of people who had to take supplemental exams :wink: , so I can't use my previous arts/social science experience to gauge the difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, i wonder when I'll hear then, although I didn't apply to UCD. I sent my stuff in through Atlantic Bridge, so that was Nov. 15. Assuming they took a month to send everything over there, that'd be Dec. 15th. But Mr. Keenan never got my fall transcript that I'd sent in January, so I had to resend in March. I don't know if that would hinder anything, but I doubt it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jimjones:
•around 3.3oa, 3.4sc, 30MCAT. I think I have a well rounded ap also.•••••Jimjones, just out of interest -- what were your EC?

I'm a few years away from applying to medical school but would like to figure out what exactly Ireland medschools are looking for in an international candidate.

Dude, if I get into Trinity and hear sometime in the next couple weeks, I'm tempted to give up studying for the MCAT and withdraw, and accept there without considering anywhere else. sheesh. Damn MCAT.

leorl,
Thanks for the info. on grading. I studied abroad in London for a semester, so I am kind of familiar w/ that type of scale. Although the grades appear easier to get over there, that is by no means the case.

Hi all... I just got off the phone with Atlantic bridge... i had called them because I hadn't heard anything yet.

Some disappointing news... apparantly I have not been selected in the "first round" of offers for UCD. I am now on a type of "waitlist" and if anyone rejects UCD then they will consider my application again.

They said I should hear for RCSI by May and about the 2nd offer if there is one, also by May. Trinity I should hear from in about 2 weeks.

I guess I should figure out what I will do next year if I don't get in. Im not sure anymore what these schools are looking for... I am finishing a B.Sc. in Math & Stats, with approximately an 83% average (not too bad), my scores on the mcat weren't bad (V=9, B=10, P=8, WS=Q) except maybe the physics section... i have had LOTS of research experience and a few extracurriculars.
this so frustrating... a friend of mine got in last year after essentially failing 1st year of university and not even writing the mcat.

what do you guys think of my chances for trinity, rcsi, or for a 2nd offer at ucd?
any suggestions on a masters program in US or Canada thats only 1 year (something to do before i apply again?

Ah, sorry to hear Regis. Did you ask Atlantic Bridge what exactly they're looking for? It's hard to tell, I know if we were actual Irish people it'd be based upon Leaving Cert points, so that essentially if you didn't get into UCD, you probably wouldn't get into Trinity just because I think they require higher leaving cert. points. I don't know about RCSI. However, since we're international students don't take that to heart at all, I really don't have any clue what they're looking for, especially as your scores aren't all that bad and you've got ECs. Good luck with the rest of them.

As far as what to do should you not get in...consider applying to Aussie schools, or are you dead set on going to Ireland? Aussie would be a huge committment, it being so far away. Masters programs, I don't know of 1 year ones...but how about finding work somehow in a clinical field? not only would you bolster your experience, but you'd earn money as well.

Regis, it may also be quite possible that they are looking for more science majors from international students. After looking at their sites, they seem kind of geared towards people with health science degrees. I am not sure how open they are like the US, where you can be any major. So if you do go for your MS, it should be in a health science, although I again, I don't know of one that's only 1 year.

Regis,
That's too bad about UCD :( But you never know about the other schools! The application process can be so random. If you don't get in have you thought about taking a year off and working rather than doing a 1 year master's program? If you are just graduating from undergrad now, I would definitely take some time off. My time off has done wonders for me! I see things in a whole new perspective now. Perhaps you could get a job doing research and take a science course to show your commitment to medicine? Just a suggestion... I really don't think a master's degree program is the best way to go in all cases. Of course, I don't know your situation. Maybe it would be good in your case, but I think working is more valuable for some people.

My stats are NOT this high, so this IS VERY discouraging. Now I'm terrified! My GPA is low also, so the situation is NOT GOOD for Trinity. Anybody know what else they look at, Trinity that is, besides GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouraging words people...
I was considering a masters because then it may increase my chances of being accepted in Ontario, Canada (where I live!!)...
I was actually looking into the Masters in Applied Physiology or the Masters in Medical Imaging Sciences at the Finch University of Health Sciences/Chicago Med School.
Apparantly, these are feeder programs for their meds program.

Fortunately, the financial aspects of studying abroad are not a limitation for me. I can pretty much afford to go anywhere, so I am hoping I can find something academic to do for the next year... either in the US or Canada.

Sorry... just wanted to add some other thoughts:

leorl, i didn't ask atlantic bridge exactly what they were looking for. Perhaps, I will call again in a few days to discuss this further - I just wanted to hang up when they told me.

As far as my degree being a "non-health sciences" degree, I am kind of bewildered that this would pose a significant problem. The trend in North America is shifting away from selecting health-science majors to selecting other majors (perhaps, partly due to the fact that academic medicine is slowly becoming much more prevalent than clinical medicine). I had thought that the Irish schools, would look at any international student that had COMPLETED a degree highly, irrespective of the major (within reason, of course). Additionaly, I had taken an ample number of health science electives, which I thought would likely help to offset any bias towards the major.

Finally, I believed that the independent research I did, in health sciences would also help. I worked for the past 5 years, the last 3 of which were done doing independent research at the largest privately funded research institute in Canada. I had the chance to work with very well known scientists. I have been published and have a paper that has just been submitted to an international peer-reviewed journal. I even presented my research at an International conference last year. I had the feeling that this would at least factor into the fact that my major was not a "tradtional" science major... but, perhaps, I was wrong.

Anyway, I am sorry if I am sounding presumptuous or like a prima donna here. But, I am just so frustrated by this whole process... I had thought i had submitted a perfect application, with stellar recommendations... and it turns out that its not enough!

hey, regis, here's some advice: 1. screw atlantic bridge 2. go to the trinity website and print this form <a href="http://www.tcd.ie/ISA/dc/dcform.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.tcd.ie/ISA/dc/dcform.pdf</a>
Complete the app, all necessary info, ref letters, etc and express post it immediately. Write a kick ass cover letter, and include your MCAT score even though they're unecessary.
3.After two weeks, follow-up with the admissions office.
That, my friend, is being proactive- forget the waitlist.

Hey Regis,

What university did you go to? A lot of Med Schools like to look at where you came from, and yes it does matter. I mean, if you were in Algoma or Nipissing, and you were getting an overall GPA of 3.3, that would be not very impressive, especially, if it was not a science major.

Hello everyone

As I said earlier, I was accepted to UCD and declined it because I did not feel I was ready to make a $300 000 commitment with them giving me only 1 week to make a decision!!! On the other hand, I just wanted to encourage everyone to stay positive throughout this process, applying to medschool is a crapshoot.... that being said, I wish you all the best of luck. I myself am also waiting to hear from Trinity and RCSI..... damn I hate to wait!!!

Regis, hang in there. About the science degree thing, don't take what I had to say exactly at heart because I don't know what weight they give to science vs non-science major, especially since most of us have to fulfill our "premed courses" here first anyway. I was just giving maybe a suggestion of what they might have been looking for. As far as major, we have to realize that other med school systems are very different from ours, so the qualities that our med schools look for really may be quite different from what they're looking for. I am not sure they would be so lenient and promoting of accepting any major, because they are very traditional. And for the natives, their leaving cert subjects have to be in the sciences...they can't take say...a psychology leaving cert and expect to place into medicine. So, while what makes sense to us may be what we expect, we have to remember that their reasoning may be very different.

hey xray, i used to hear that crap ten years ago that med schools look at where you did your undergrad. it's just a myth. i believed it and picked the worst school for undergrad (uoft), if i had a chance to do it again, i'd jump at nippising. can't speak for US schools, though.

CSand1,
Though I will gain admission to my state school(i talked to the dean), its just too late-I have already fallen in love with going to school in Ireland. So, I am definitely going to RCSI in the fall. I have looked at all the options and it just seems to be the most logical choice-great rep, no big probs getting residency, international experience in an exceptional city filled with exceptional people. I am very excited.
No, I didnt apply to any other Irish schools.
They gave me approximately 3-4 weeks notice before my interview.
Good luck with the process. I sincerely hope that you here good news soon. Its a wild ride, isn't it?(one that I personally never want to experience ever again).

Hey Rsk77

Hahahaha, I well I'm not sure if I would immediately jump at a chance to go to Nipissing, but you know, I couldn't agree more, U of T must be the worst place ever to go to do undergrad. I mean they are just brutal. I swear, it must be one of the hardest institutions on this planet.
Oh well, too late, I'm already in my final year,
and umm yeah...well I won't be getting into Med school there obviously, since I'm in this forum hahaha...good luck guys and girls.

I keep hearing:
1) Almost everyone accepted to Irish Schools through Atlantic Bridge come from "Big Name" (i.e. Harvard, Hopkins, etc.) undergrad.
and,
2) Only science majors are considered for the 5 yr. program.

Can anyone from a school that does not have an international reputation who has been accepted please post.
Also, if only hard science majors are accepted into the 5 yr. program, can non-science majors apply for the 6 yr. program through A.B :confused: :confused: .

jm, no worries. If you look at the list of recent Irish attendees that AB sent us awhile back, you'll see that although there are a *few* Harvard/Cornell etc, there are also "unknowns" like Delaware Valley College (???), Oral Roberts University (???).

leorl,
Thanks for posting back so quickly. How did you get this list? I have not applied yet, I am planning to apply for 2003. I am really hoping things work out as far as attending in Ireland. Do you definitely plan on going? I still have to take my MCATs in August, so that is going to be the big deciding factor for me. You are on SDN alot, and many of your posts are usually informative and/or confidence builders. Thanks.

Jm, It will be sent with your AB application. They send you a packet with the application, and included is a list of where recent acceptees have graduated from in the US. There are some great US and Canadian schools on that list, as well as your more run-of-the-mill ones. As far as I know, I am the only one from my college to apply to Ireland, or actually...even think of attending med school abroad.

Definitely going there? No. Although I am quite tempted because I already have friends there who I miss dearly. It would be great to go back to Trinity. However, I really would like to go to Australia and am concentrating more on Australia because I haven't been there before, and their atmosphere is seems so perfect for me. It really depends...if my sister gets accepted for grad school at Univ. of British Columbia, then I will consider going to Ireland (if accepted) because it's closer. However, if she gets rejected and decides to go to Univ. of Melbourne, then Australia it is! :) My grades are decent and I've got great ECs...but to get into Melbourne, I think I need at least a 30 on my MCAT. Ghegheghe!

About the science thing...you should email the admissions of each university you're planning on applying to and ask if they're specifically looking for science majors, and if so, whether they'll consider a non-hard-science major for the 6 year program (although they should).

TCD already has an acceptance list out? Maybe I should make a call.

CSand1, don't sweat it quite yet. You never know what's going to happen. But yeah, Irish and Aussie schools have the same standard as ours, so I'm not sure if you've got lower scores or anything, whether applying international will get you into med school, you know? But you've still got that interview, so YAY! Be your charming self and knock the socks off them :)

I called AB and asked about my status. I've been made an offer by Trinity (as in, accepted) and he's hoping to get the acceptance letters by the end of this week so that we get them by early next week.

As for my stats, I haven't taken MCAT yet but Trinity doesn't require them. I applied with a 3.75 GPA (although after fall semester that dropped to a 3.67), and some great, "unique" ECs. However, my application was probably helped because I went to Trinity for my junior year abroad during undergrad.

Good luck, you should hear really soon.

CS, congrats on the DO school! And best of luck for the RCSI interview as well :) . I don't know about Trinity yet. I'm still holding out for the Aussie schools, cuz as much as I love Trinity, I haven't been to australia yet and the weather, everything, i've heard is fantastic. It is actually my Irish friends who told me Australia is perfectly suited for me, so I'm holding out :wink: .

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jm1021:
•I keep hearing:
1) Almost everyone accepted to Irish Schools through Atlantic Bridge come from "Big Name" (i.e. Harvard, Hopkins, etc.) undergrad.
and,
2) Only science majors are considered for the 5 yr. program.

Can anyone from a school that does not have an international reputation who has been accepted please post.
Also, if only hard science majors are accepted into the 5 yr. program, can non-science majors apply for the 6 yr. program through A.B :confused: :confused: .•••••Quicky:
1)It is untrue that only folks from big name schools get it to irish school.
2)Generally, you do NOT have to have a science degree to get into the 5 year program, but you must have completed the normal science pre-reqs.
3)Generally, if you have no science background, or have not completed the science pre-reqs, you can get into the 6 year programs.

Best of Luck.

Telluride,
I saw that you have "Ireland" listed as your location on your profile. Are you studying med. there right now? If so, how is it? Love it, not everything you expected, etc.? I'm just trying to get an overall idea of what it might be like to be a med student over there.

I have a relative who is in the first year at RCSI. When she was applying she was asked where she did undergrad and was blantantly told they look for students from Ivy League and other big name schools. She graduated from Cornell. Some of her classmates are from NYU, Dartmouth, UCLA, etc.

I just really had to make this the 100th post :) . Is there any international thread that has made 100 posts? YAYAYAY FOR THE IRISH STUDENTS/APPLICANTS!

RCSI looks for ivies hmm? and I thought Trinity was posh. ah well, maybe those of us applying to RCSI will be among the first non-ivies :) . Unfortunately maybe after my MCAT scores come in, i should just withdraw :) .

Hello everyone&#8230;just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful information and great posts! The positive attitude is a breath of fresh air on a forum like this. The information on Ireland has also been helpful as I have just been accepted at Trinity College in Dublin and had to make a decision in a relatively short time (I accepted =)). I had been wait listed at some US schools and still have an interview next week, but I am 98% sure that I will be starting at Trinity in October. I had to make a decision and I can't wait on unsure things! I just wanted to provide some info for students who had made posts. First, in terms of living environment, you can't beat Australia. I studied abroad there and had the time of my life! The continent is amazing and the people are great! As for medical school, I spoke with students while I was there at the University of Queensland&#8230;they definitely had their fare amount of studying to keep them busy&#8230; we would see them out with us on the weekend though. I know someone had posted that they are considering school in Melbourne&#8230; beware because Melbourne has a cold season as well! It's not always sunshine, but definitely bring your sun screen!!! If you have questions about OZ, post them and I can try to provide whatever info I can. As for school in Ireland the reputation is amazing. Oh and I thought others might want to hear about US perspectives on Irish training. Currently I am working at Boston Medical doing research and the doctors here rant and rave about the training the Irish Physicians receive. From the first year residents and attending physicians to the chief of the department, I have received consistent feed back&#8230;"you can't go wrong with studying in Ireland". Some doctors have even told me that I will receive better clinical training at Trinity&#8230;they weren't saying this to be nice either, these guys and gals are thankfully brutally honest. I was hesitant to study outside of the US and skeptical until I spoke with students in the program/doctors at Boston Medical. I am posting some e-mail a fourth year student at Trinity sent me regarding some questions I had. To those going to Ireland, hopefully I will run into you in Dublin&#8230;be that at the pub or in the library. =).

E-mail: "Hi Paul. We have a 100% pass rate on Step I and II. Some have scored in the 99th percentile! So no problems there. As for residency, your imagination is the only thing that limits you. I have a number of friends from here who graduated already and are in great residencies (Brown, Dartmouth, etc) in everything from neurosurgery to internal medicine. Everyone gets either their first or second choice for residency, with many interviews each. Happy to answer any other questions."

hope this helps.

P,
Thanks for that post. Even though I still have to apply for the 2003 class, your info. and enthusiasm gets me psyched about the possibility of studying in Ireland. Hopefully I will see you in about 1.5 yrs.

JM

P,
also, would you mind posting or PMing me your stats. If your not into the revealing stats thing, that's cool too.

I am stress free when it comes to stats....no worries: 3.59 cum (I know...just couldn't get the 3.6..damn!) (Bio) from a NESCAC school with roughly a 3.5 in science. MCATs were nothing to write home about&#8230;they were good enough to get some interviews in the states, but they are not important for Trinity, so no need to post them and create unnecessary stress. Had a variety of EC's&#8230;think that helped. If you want specifics on EC's..etc&#8230;let me know.
-p

leorl,
You were accepted to Trinity w/o MCATs, right? Here is a hypothetical (the MCAT part) for you or anyone else. I graduated in 2001 w/ a psych degree, and have been finishing up my med pre-reqs since. I have about a 3.75 overall and 3.6 science from a relatively small college. Some pretty good ECs. I am taking MCATs in August. Lets say I score in the 27-28 area on the test, do you think it would be a better idea to apply to Trinity and just don't send them my scores, or would a score like that be alright for Ireland. Kind of a dumb question, but I am trying to figure out possibilities if I don't kick some ass on MCATs.

YAYYAYA! P! congrats!! I got accepted into trinity as well, my situation is kind of reverse. I am holding out for Australia, and I studied abroad at Trinity. The reputation is enormous, when my pediatrician (yes, i still see my life-long old pediatrician) heard I was studying there for a year, he got all excited. Trinity has made connections with several medical organizations in the US. I'm sure RCSI has too, but Trinity is the only one for now that I've heard of.

You'll love Trinity. The people are MAD fun! And the med student classes grow very close to each other, lots of great friendships. And from AUS, you know what it's like. They have great times but study hard as well! There's just time to do extracurriculars, AND party, AND prioritize schoolwork...especially at a place like Trinity. there's just so much university culture there, it's great!

Jm,

you'll be fine with a 3.75 GPA...that was my GPA, the one Trinity saw initially before I sent in my fall semester grades. I do not know how they would handle extraneous info like MCAT scores, my inclination is to believe they wouldn't really look at them. They'd probably look primarily at your ECs, GPA, and especially your personal essay. I don't think it would hurt you, so if you are planning on applying to more than one IRish school, you'll have to send them in anyway

Hello Everyone:
I just got my acceptance to Trinity today.
I'm relieved... but a little indecisive... maybe someone here can help out.
Here's the predicament:
I have to pay the $3000 USD deposit by April 30. I have also applied to 2 one year masters' programs (at Finch in Chicago) but I won't know on my acceptance/rejection for another month maybe. The Irish program is 5 years long, now if I forget about Ireland and go to this masters' program (if I get in), I might be better off in the longrun as I then do not shut out a lot of the top or highly coveted residency positions (ophtho, cardiac surgery, neurosurg, etc.). Granted, these positions are hard enough as it is as a domestic grad, but they are even harder as an FMG. Im not overy worried about visa status as I am a Canadian citizen with a US green card (permanent resident). Does anyone know anything about admit stats for people coming out of the 1yr masters' programs or anyone konw of admist stats for people who re-apply to the irish schools after one year (even if they got in the first time).
Any advice would be much appreciated.

congratulations regis!!!! that's great :) i'd choose trinity over the 1 year master's, but i'm more interested in general practice. trinity is a GREAT school.

Thanks for the congrats leorl, we are definitely in the same boat with opposite countries. I got accepted at the University of Sydney and was waiting on Dublin. I don't think you will lose with either. To answer your question Regis, I think you might be better going with the sure thing, but that's just me. I had a friend who did a masters program that really sold her on the fact that she would get into medical school after that and it didn't pan out. As for residency positions back in the US the Atlantic Bridge (AB) sent a list of people and where/what they matched in. I will put them in for you. I had no idea about residency programs until I asked some of the physicians here at Boston Medical, but they were all impressed with how the US/Canadian students matched in the US after studying at Irish schools. Hope this list helps: All of their graduates matched this year and these are the programs they matched in. Most of the students had their first or second choice (this is what I was told by the AB)

INTERNAL MEDICINE: John Hopkins, University of Washington, Seattle, Dartmouth, VA hospital Los Angeles, Boston University, Mercy Hospital Pittsburgh, Albert Einstein New York, Duke University Medical Center, University of Miami, Cleveland Clinic, University of MA, Mayo Clinic, Loyola, Univ of Washington (Spokane), Northwestern (Chicago)

PEDIATRICS: LA Children's Hospital, University of Pennsylvania, University of Utah Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Tomas Jefferson, Dartmouth, Staten Island Medical Center, Valhalla Medical Center (2)

SURGERY: E. Carolina Medical Center, Bay State Medical Center, (Otolaryngology) University of South Florida, Huron Hospital Cleveland, Lankenau Hospital Philadelphia, Univ of Vermont, (General Surgery) University of Florida, (General Surgery: Mayo Clinic), General Surgery (University of Kentucky)

OPTHALMOLOGY: Yale

NEUROSURGERY: Brown

OB/GYN: (4) Boston University, Lakenan Hosp (Philadelphia),

EMERGENCY MEDICINE: (2) Washington University (St Louis), Denver General Hospital,

FAMILY PRACTICE: Mayo Clinic, Stonybrook Univ Hospital, University of Washington

RADIOLOGY: Yale, Johns Hopkins

PSYCHIATRY: Boston University

Hey Leorl,
How are you planning on holding out for Melbourne? You won't know if you've gotten in there till the fall. Won't you have to let Trinity know pretty soon? Decisions, decisions...
ps. i just came back from Melbourne, amazing city.

leorl,
im in ontario, canada...
thats kinda odd that i got the letter before you, since it usually takes longer for mail to come to canada from the us.
anyway, im sure its on its way...

right now, im leaning towards rejecting the offer.
i phoned AB and they told me that I would be interviewed by RCSI in June.

rsk, that IS the problem. I might have to decline Trinity, which really sucks. But I still have my RCSI application to process....but i'm not sure how likely that will be as I dunno how good my MCAT score will be and I am not from an ivy league school. CRAP. So either that or I pray to god I get into Melbourne. I dunno. I might try to have a talk with the Trinity admins, but I doubt it'll work. Damn it.

Ontario is closer to CA than Ohio is :)

Ok, so I got my acceptance. Yesterday. It was dated having been sent the 11th, but crappy Cleveland mail apparently delayed it 9 days. Well hmm. There's no way to defer payment. I guess I'll have to decline. Now let's hope to god my MCAT scores are good enough for RCSI and that I get an interview and pass :) . I should find out from RCSI and the Aussie schools roughly about the same time.

this year's tuition will be around 20,000 euros. a 3.65 might be fine. But are you not obligated to tell them that you have attended med school before, as you have to list all places of education? So would they not be wondering why you got ejected from a US med school in the first place?