anyone hear from the UCSF/SFSU dental post bac program yet?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

slashnroses19

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
just curious if anyone heard from them yet. i was told last month they'd let people know after april 14th.

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
They only let me know my application was complete. Haven't heard anything since.

About the Ads

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm told they will send out email invites "very soon." Are you guys applying for the new applicants or re-applicants program?

gum83

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I didn't hear anything either. The only letters I got from them were to confirm my financial aid amounts. If someone gets an invite for an interview, let us know!

slashnroses19

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
just got this email ( monday 4.21 )

Dear Applicant,

We anticipate completing the review process of applications by early next week. Please feel free to check back with us then, if you have not heard anything from us.

Sincerely,

Alicia

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I just called this morning. I'm told Dr. Rothman is out of the office as of yesterday and today and that we might hear about interviews by the end of this week or early next week. Waiting sucks!

slashnroses19

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
got the email invite this morning! i asked for the may 5th interview. there are 6 dates that are over a 2 week span. my interview is the first!:thumbup:

samdds

I have faith in myself
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Is this program only for students with disadvantage background? How competitive is it to get into the program?

HoangDDS

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
San Jose
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Congrats on your interview invite slashnroses. Please let us know how it goes and what we can watch out for. I just got off the phone with them regarding my personal status, and they said they only sent out invites to the re-applicant program so far. I applied to the adjunct program, which they said they're still in the process of reviewing those apps. And emails will be sent out to the adjunct program applicants end of next week or beginning of May. Nonetheless, good luck on your interview roses!

To Samdds: There are 2 programs. One is only for disadvantage re-applicants (financially disadvantaged) and the other is open to first time applicants and re-applicants. I think they're only accepting 10 students to each program. You can google SFSU pre-dental post bac, and get more info.

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Congrats slashnroses! Good luck in your interview. Let us know how it goes and what we adjunct applicants can (hopefully) expect.

Thanks for the info Hoang, it's good to know they're still processing the adjunct applications.

Good luck to all.

Enjoy,

Brian

About the Ads

Ober3

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
wow only 10 applicants? It must be very competitive! It says you must have a GPA of 2.5 or above. What sort of GPAs do you guys have? I'm thinking of applying for the program Fall of 2009, how competitive is it? Thanks.

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
wow only 10 applicants? It must be very competitive! It says you must have a GPA of 2.5 or above. What sort of GPAs do you guys have? I'm thinking of applying for the program Fall of 2009, how competitive is it? Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that last year's program had 60 applicants for the 10 spots.

The adjunct program also gives priority to those who had dental school interviews, but got waitlisted/denied.

This puts me at second priority from the get go, so I have no idea what my chances really are. :(

My grades go something like this: 3.4 with a B.S. and M.S. in ME from Berkeley, but my BCP is like 2.6 (leftover grades from my first, failed attempt in college), and low DAT TS17/AA19 (took it prior to any bio/ochem courses - will be retaking this summer AFTER taking bio/ochem :oops:). Who knows what my chances are, but my ducks are in a row this year, I would love to get into this program just help ensure the 2009 cycle is my last.

Good luck,

Brian

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I got a call last night about the interview. I have not received the email yet so I'm trying to get in contact with someone. slashnroses19 what were the other dates available?

slashnroses19

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I got a call last night about the interview. I have not received the email yet so I'm trying to get in contact with someone. slashnroses19 what were the other dates available?

The available interview days are:
Monday, May 5th,
Tuesday, May 6th,
Wednesday, May 7th,

Tuesday, May 13th, 2008,
Wednesday, May 14th, 2008,
Thursday, May 15th, 2008,

I requested the may 5th one by email but haven't received a response as to if it is confirmed. I hope they let me know on monday so i can book my flight. its next weekend pretty much!

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
well I got the interview email and I'm waiting for them to schedule me in. There are 12 spots for the reapplicant program but does anyone know many they're going to interview?

DCeater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I applied as a non-disadvantaged new applicant and didn't get an interview. Does anyone know if they are still sending out interviews next week?

gum83

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I applied as a 1st time applicant and still haven't heard anything! I emailed them last week, and they said that, "we are just beginning to review applications for the program. Interview invites will be sent out over the next couple of weeks." I'm assuming they're done reviewing and sent out invites to re-applicants, and they're working on 1st time applicants now? I don't know what the heck is going on.

Do you guys know if they're going to send out rejection letters/email? Or do I just ASSUME that I didn't get in, and apply next year? :oops:

About the Ads

DCeater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm guessing that if we don't hear anything from them next week, it'll be safe to assume that we have to wait to apply next year. Is anyone considering taking Open University at SFSU if they don't get in?

alex dds

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm guessing that if we don't hear anything from them next week, it'll be safe to assume that we have to wait to apply next year. Is anyone considering taking Open University at SFSU if they don't get in?

I thought about it, but didn't the deadline pass?

DCeater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
my understanding is that there are no enrollment deadlines for Open U. I don't know much more than that.

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm scheduled to come for the interview this coming Tuesday along with at least 8 other students. I'm not sure if its just reapplicants or a mix pool. It seems like the program is quite competitive considering that out of the 6 interview dates there are already about 10 students. yikes

Dental407

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi AUM, I was wondering if you knew if there are 8 students each interview date or just specifically for Tuesday? Do you know how many reapplicants and how many first time applicants they plan to interview? You mentioned that there are at least 10 students, but is that for the reapplicant program?

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I just received an email (11:47pm on a Sunday night!?!) inviting me for an interview for the adjunct program!!

All of the interview times I was offered are for Saturday, May 10.

Of course Murphy's Law dictates that the interview times are at the same time as my end of semester bio field trip...1 1/2 hours drive away...hopefully I can work it out with my prof.

Anyway, I am excited and am going to have trouble sleeping tonight.

Wish me luck.

Brian

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Congrats Brian. I didn't know Saturday was an interview date option. Did they send any information regarding the interview process to you?
Dental407: I'm not sure about how the interview process is but when I called to schedule I was told that there will be 8 other students that day. Maybe it's just a busy date. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see.

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Congrats Brian. I didn't know Saturday was an interview date option. Did they send any information regarding the interview process to you?

Thanks.

The email said the interview will be 30-60 minutes, preceded/followed by a tour of SFSU campus, and a meeting with the program director as well as participants of the current program. That's all I know for now.

I replied to the email immediately :D and am waiting for directions and my interview time.

Brian

About the Ads

DDSteve

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Thanks.

The email said the interview will be 30-60 minutes, preceded/followed by a tour of SFSU campus, and a meeting with the program director as well as participants of the current program. That's all I know for now.

I replied to the email immediately :D and am waiting for directions and my interview time.

Brian

Congrats Brian. This is Steve from UoP Sim btw.

vtt0411

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Me too just heard from them...I applied to the adjuct prog and my interview is this Sat. Does anybody have any idea what kind of questions they will be asking?

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Congrats Brian. This is Steve from UoP Sim btw.

Thanks Steve. That was a fun weekend. I am looking forward to the interview.

Congrats vtt!!

I don't know what to expect, but I am preparing as if it were a dental school interview: why dentistry? Community outreach (since they stress that on the app), explain any academic/life hiccups, etc.

I just found the attached link. I haven't read it all, but it looks to have pretty comprehensive interviewing information.

http://www.medicalhelpnet.com/content/view/43/61/

Good luck. I hope to see you there.

Brian

vtt0411

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Thanks,
You are a doll. I am so excited and nervous I cannot sleep!!!!

AUM

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
from what I heard guys..for the adjunct program ALL the interviews for the 10 spots will be held on Saturday..there will be around 30 other interviewees. Good luck guys!

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
from what I heard guys..for the adjunct program ALL the interviews for the 10 spots will be held on Saturday..there will be around 30 other interviewees. Good luck guys!

30 interviewees?!? Wow. May I ask about your source? ;)

Are they doing group interviews? I ask, because there were only seven 1-hour time slots available in the email I received.

Thanks for any information.

Brian

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I dont understand...This saturday all 10 spots for adjunct but 30 additional interviews for 30 spots?

I think AUM meant that there will be ~30 interviewees for the 10 adjunct spots, with all ~30 interviews on Saturday...

DCeater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I feel like I was rejected by dental school already, haha. Congratulations guys, I'm sure you'll love SF!

SexyDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
i just found this thread! i was so happy to hear from them sunday night . For the adjunct, the options were on Saturday only. Let me know how you guy's interview goes and how are you guys prepping?

davisouljah

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
An admissions member for the program said yesterday that there will be 20 students interviewed for the adjunct program and that they will probably open up another day to complete all the interviews.

elratoncito

This is my year!
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I applied to the adjunct program and got an interview on saturday, too. Yey, exciting! Has anyone received additional information about where to meet and where to go and at what time they are scheduled?

good luck and see some of you there!

SexyDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
got a call and email confirming time and location. ack. update me guys!

elratoncito

This is my year!
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
just got into the city... my motel room smells like vegas (cigarettes), everyone pray i dont smell like this roon for my interview tomorrow.

DDSteve

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Great meeting you guys. You will hear back from the program probably within a week.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.