Anyone hear from WashU?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med8674

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know WashU had their adcom meeting a few weeks ago, and am curious to see if any acceptances have been sent out. Please inform me!

Members don't see this ad.

med8674 said:
I know WashU had their adcom meeting a few weeks ago, and am curious to see if any acceptances have been sent out. Please inform me!

They met on the 17 and acceptances were apparently sent out via certified mail. So most people got them on saturday or monday. I don't know of anyone who's gotten rejected. So if you haven't heard anything, you're in the running for next month's meeting. Pray you'll be resurrected. Good luck!

ahumdinger said:
They met on the 17 and acceptances were apparently sent out via certified mail. So most people got them on saturday or monday. I don't know of anyone who's gotten rejected. So if you haven't heard anything, you're in the running for next month's meeting. Pray you'll be resurrected. Good luck!

Any idea how many acceptances they sent out? I only heard of one on SDN, and I know of one friend (non-SDN) who got an MD PhD acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
unicorn06 said:
Any idea how many acceptances they sent out? I only heard of one on SDN, and I know of one friend (non-SDN) who got an MD PhD acceptance.

they accepted 23.83

But really, I think WashU take a lot of people off the waitlist (i believe the stat are that ~300 are offered acceptances at some point for a class of 120) so fret not. The class is a long way from being filled. Also let's hope that there aren't a lot of MSTP like this year (30+) leaving fewer MD slots.

So... do you know when the next adcom meeting is? I like to schedule my freak-outs. :)

so i was the random person on my interview day who had two interviews...let me be obsessive and ask any theories on how they pick that person - likely random, huh? also, both of my interviewers have to be present for them to make a decision...maybe they weren't and that's why i haven't gotten in yet? ahaha so kidding...i just cross my fingers that i don't get rejected! i LOVED it there! :scared:

somewhere2010 said:
so i was the random person on my interview day who had two interviews...let me be obsessive and ask any theories on how they pick that person - likely random, huh? also, both of my interviewers have to be present for them to make a decision...maybe they weren't and that's why i haven't gotten in yet? ahaha so kidding...i just cross my fingers that i don't get rejected! i LOVED it there! :scared:

Interesting, I was that random person too, who had two interviews. I heard from one person that when that happens because one of your interviewers is training. I heard this from another interviewee, don't know how true it is.

somewhere2010 said:

If you get in, you would chose there over all your other schools? No contest huh?

princessd3 said:
If you get in, you would chose there over all your other schools? No contest huh?

yeah it would definitely be tempting! it's such an amazing place, and only two hours from home! but i super loved pritzker and michigan...i had more fun at those interviews than at wash u, but that may just be a function of the day's structure or the people in my interview group. guess we'll see if wash u wants me and go from there! :oops:

princessd3 said:
Interesting, I was that random person too, who had two interviews. I heard from one person that when that happens because one of your interviewers is training. I heard this from another interviewee, don't know how true it is.

On my interview day, the orientation speaker was the assistant dean for admissions; she said that those who have two interviews are chosen randomly. It is to ensure that interviewers-in-training give interview reports that are consistent with those of experienced interviewers.

For those who had two interviews: did you by any chance interview with Dr. Ross? I was talking to a 2nd year medical student and she said that she had two interviews. At the time she said that she thought it was because she was African American since Dr. Ross is the Dean of Diversity, and maybe he interviews all the URMs. And at my interview day, one of the other applicants who was African American was interviewed twice, once by Dean Ross. He was wondering about the reason too, and I said that some people think it's for training purposes, but afterwards, he told me his other interviewer was also a seasoned committee member, so that threw our "training" theory out the window. But now that someone mentioned being told that by one of the Assistant Deans puts it back into the realm of possibility. I don't know why they would lie about that. So it could be that both situations are true. I was interviewed by Dr. Ross (but I'm not a URM) and he is in the South subcomittee (and the regional determination is by undergraduate school, I think). So for those of you who got interviewed by Dr. Ross plus someone else, if you are from a new england school or a otherwise obvious northern school, then it is probably true that Dr. Ross interviews all of the URMs regardless of location. (I stipulate the "obviously northern because my boyfriend was inviewed by a South committee person and he went to UI-urbana champaign)

Does this reasoning make sense?

ahumdinger said:
For those who had two interviews: did you by any chance interview with Dr. Ross? I was talking to a 2nd year medical student and she said that she had two interviews. At the time she said that she thought it was because she was African American since Dr. Ross is the Dean of Diversity, and maybe he interviews all the URMs. And at my interview day, one of the other applicants who was African American was interviewed twice, once by Dean Ross. He was wondering about the reason too, and I said that some people think it's for training purposes, but afterwards, he told me his other interviewer was also a seasoned committee member, so that threw our "training" theory out the window. But now that someone mentioned being told that by one of the Assistant Deans puts it back into the realm of possibility. I don't know why they would lie about that. So it could be that both situations are true. I was interviewed by Dr. Ross (but I'm not a URM) and he is in the South subcomittee (and the regional determination is by undergraduate school, I think). So for those of you who got interviewed by Dr. Ross plus someone else, if you are from a new england school or a otherwise obvious northern school, then it is probably true that Dr. Ross interviews all of the URMs regardless of location. (I stipulate the "obviously northern because my boyfriend was inviewed by a South committee person and he went to UI-urbana champaign)

i'm african-american and didn't interview with dr. ross (just met with him for fun, arranged that myself), so he doesn't necessarily interview all URMs. then again, i was the first interview day, so maybe they changed things thereafter? also, i was told by one of the admissions officers that one person each day has two interviews as a way for them to double-check their interrater consistency, which could encompass the training of new interviewers as well.

I interviewed with Dr. Ross. He was nice. Incidentally, I'm white and from a school in Baltimore. What region do they consider that?

DarkFark said:
I interviewed with Dr. Ross. He was nice. Incidentally, I'm white and from a school in Baltimore. What region do they consider that?

well there goes my theory. They must do some really weird division of the country's schools.

ahumdinger said:

Well, I interviewed with Dr. Ross. I AM CERTAINLY NOT A URM. White male. I do go to school in Atlanta, however. The fact that he was the Dean of Diversity did make me a little nervous going in, but he ended up being a really nice guy (or maybe he just acted that way). I enjoyed talking with him.

bigdogg said:
Well, I interviewed with Dr. Ross. I AM CERTAINLY NOT A URM. White male. I do go to school in Atlanta, however. The fact that he was the Dean of Diversity did make me a little nervous going in, but he ended up being a really nice guy (or maybe he just acted that way). I enjoyed talking with him.

I was suggesting that perhaps Dr. Ross interviews the URMs in addition to the regular interview that those students would have. I too interviewed with Dr. Ross and I'm an over-represented minority. But someone on this thread did point out that he/she is an URM and did not interview with Dr. Ross. But I agree with you, he is pretty awesome. I like to call him the White Coat Dean, because he's the one who gives all the students their white coats at the ceremony during orientation.