Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anyone hear of a new Medical School in Toronto

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by rata tat tat, Apr 11, 2002.

1. rata tat tat

rata tat tat Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey y'all,
    Has anyone heard of this. One of my friends in TO mentioned it but I dunno...I think he's wrong or it is some kind of quack school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. solie

solie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've heard talk about a new med school starting up, but it's way up in Northern Ontario--no where near Toronto. I think the idea is to take mainly people living in the area, in order to increase the number of doctors up there, which is at near-crisis levels right now.
    I doubt a new school would open here in the city. The government doesn't even want to fund a few additional spots in the schools we've got right now, let alone open a new school altogether.

4. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    New school will be in Thunder Bay, I think, and will only be geared towards Northern Ontarians like the previous poster said. McMaster, in Hamilton, has started taking about 10 international students a year, but have a very high standards for admissions.

5. xbliss187x

xbliss187x Member
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rsk77:
    <strong>New school will be in Thunder Bay, I think, and will only be geared towards Northern Ontarians like the previous poster said. McMaster, in Hamilton, has started taking about 10 international students a year, but have a very high standards for admissions.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi! Do you have any info on McGill and US applicants? I've searched their website and the canadian boards but there's not much info out there (outside of contacting the school). Thanks for any info!

6. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i don't know how many US or foreign students McGill take. you'll have to contact them, but minimum's are 3.5 and 30's on MCAT. Canada's not a viable second option for Americans, cause if they have the scores to get in, they'd easily get into an American school. McMaster is strange, all they want is a 70% average and no MCAT, but don't waste your app. fee unless you're great, cause it's one of the hardest schools to get into. (Close to Buffalo though!)

7. xbliss187x

xbliss187x Member
    10+ Year Member

thank you for the information, rsk77. you've definitely given me something to think about.

8. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I disagree. McGill and MUN in Newfoundland are great options not only for Americans but for other internationals as well.

I did not know that MacMaster has started taking 10 internationals per year. Ontario de-regulated its tuitions starting a couple years ago, so the provincial government should be more hands-off in terms of how many Canadians or in-province residents each med school needs to take. But the people on Ian Wong's Canadian board insist that Ontario med schools have almost nil spot for internationals.

9. governorgeneral

governorgeneral Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

according to http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/english/faq.htm , "Approximately, 22 places are available for U.S and International students" (compared to from what i've heard something like 2-5 spots for non-quebec canadians).

in other americans-at-mcgill news, fyi: "Q: What percentage of US students from the McGill medical program match to their first choice discipline in the US? A: 87%"