Anyone heard about the 100% online M.S. in Medical Sciences at U. South Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graduate2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be graduating with degrees in Microbiology (Arizona State University) and Community Health Education (Northern Arizona University) in the spring of 2009 and fall 2009 respectively. My overall GPA between the two schools is 3.68; however, my science GPA is a paltry 3.16, so I feel that I need to attend a post bac program. I realize that my MCAT score will say a lot about which post bac I attend (I plan to sit for the May 2009 exam) but thus far, I have looked at the University of Cincinnati, Georgetown, UNT Health Science Center, and Boston University. All of these programs are good but they are expensive, so I may need to think "outside of the box" as far as finishing a post bac program. I recently discovered a 100% online program at the University of South Florida (M.S. Medical Sciences) and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the program. If so, what are the medical school admissions types saying about the program? Is this a viable way to gain entrance to medical school? The advantage of this program is that it would allow me to work (I'm a paramedic and just recently finished an LPN certificate) to pay for some of my cost of living expenses without having to take a lot of loans.

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at it and it looks like a great option for many (bump!)

The online program is certainly practical but just be aware of the limitations (I was considering doing it last year). USF Medical School does not look highly on it because it is online but other schools (those you do not realize the program is online) have no reason to look down on it. An online program is not considered as good (or representative of your ability) as a lecture-based course. Your transcript does not say "online course" so a school would have to look up the specific course to know it was online. Cost-wise for an in-state student, USF is a great deal. If you are out-of-state then really look at your options. If this program is your only/best option then I would certainly give it a try. You might want to talk to pre-medical advisors or admissions representatives at medical schools you are thinking of applying to and ask what their opinion of the program is :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If and when you get interviews they will be very interested in talking to you about your SMP. No matter how great this program is there is a certain stigma associated with online courses. I would say "buyer beware." You will have to tell your interviewer that your classes were online at some point and that may make for an awkward conversation depending on their views!

I appreciate all the words of advice. I've given it a lot of thought and have decided against applying to the USF program.

Again, some secondaries will ask you to state all your online courses. If they find out you've lied it could cost you.

Also, like DrJD pointed out you might also be asked about it in interviews.

Yea, and let me put it this way... Any school that interviews you because they see you are in an SMP WILL talk about it and want to know what its like, how the other students are, how the med students treat you, etc. (Some of the questions I've been asked.) I just don't know how they would respond if you said it was an online thing, but I am guessing not well.

That being said, one school I interviewed at never brought up my masters because it was a "blind" interview... Now I brought it up because it is a strength, but you may be able to get away with it at schools that have these blind interviews if you are really clever.

OR, perhaps there are schools that respect the online SMP, perhaps you could contact USF and see where their students tend to matriculate to medical school and then contact their admissions offices?

I actually called a few schools last week and one today and the consensus opinion is that if given a choice, doing a traditional ground based SMP or post bac is the way to go. As most of you have said, some adcoms may have some serious questions about an online SMP and I can't imagine that I'd stack up well to students from some of the more well known SMP's. Nope, I'm gonna do this the hard way and apply to a "real" SMP.