Anyone heard from Boston Univ or Tufts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone had interviewed/been accepted at Boston U or Tufts? If so, how was the interview, etc? How long after turning in the secondary did they call u for an interview? Was the interview by email or phone? Are u an instate resident?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi altaskier. Like you, I was also wondering about BU. I turned in my secondary like two months ago and had not heard from them. I was about to call them and ask when, lo and behold, an interview inviation appeared in my mailbox (my snail mail mailbox, that is). I have not yet gone to the interview and I am a California resident. Try giving them a call maybe, just to make sure your application has been received. Good luck!

My app has been complete at Boston since 9/10 except for my August MCAT scores. They just e-mailed me to send them a copy. Nada from Tufts although my app's been complete there since 10/11 -- I assume that they're just getting, or just realizing they don't have, the August scores as well. Sucks being an August MCATer, but I guess I knew it would.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got secondaries in fairly early to both schools (late aug/early sept) and got interviews within a month or so - later for tufts. tufts interviews only on tuesdays, so they are planning to interview through april and maybe may. if you get an interview there, i think it's a 50% return on acceptances. (bc they have zero financial aid and most people don't love the idea of 250K debt). my bu interview was 10/29 and about three weeks later i got a notice that i was 'still under consideration' - they send out their first round of acceptances around feb. 15. the schools seem pretty similar to me, although i think i dig bu a little more. they are both in downtown boston, have pretty poor financial setups and have great clinical situations. they are also sensitive about not being harvard and ask everyone whether they applied. which i didn't. hope that helps. ;)

tufts sent me an invite on oct.12th and my app. was complete 10/10/01, so they moved along pretty quickly with the very first invites. they give you a list of about 20 tuesdays from nov - april, with only one day in dec. they are pretty flexible about scheduling and about 40 people each session are interviewed. the day is really long, so be prepared to sit around and wait a lot. i can't compare it to bu, but many clinical profs. affiliated with both or other schools in the area say they would recommend tufts over bu. it's hard to choose since they are both two of the most expensive schools. Good luck, and send me a private message if you need more info!

Just called BU this morning to check on the status of my application. First the lady said she didn't have my file, which freaked me out because they've already taken $100 out of my bank account. Then, after further investigation, I was told that I am missing my letters (which was odd too since they were sent two months ago). But the lady was definitely on PMS, or just upset that she has to work the day before Thanksgiving and hung up on me rudely. Why couldn't they let me know that my letters are missing after all this time? It's not like it's easy to get in touch with BU's admission office, since they don't even let people email them. argh.

Alice,

Zero financial aid at Tufts? MSAR on Tufts states:

"Up to 75% of students participate in the federal government's student loan programs at some time during their four years of study. Additionally, limited scholarship and loan assistance is available directly from Tufts for students who qualify on the basis of need. Approximately 33% of the students receive financial aid directly from Tufts at some time during their four years of study."

Do you mind explaining what you mean by zero financial aid?

What is up with Tufts? Not a word from them although it's been 6 weeks since my app was complete. They should definitely have my August MCAT sccores by now! Although Boston did e-mail me earlier this month that they didn't have the scores yet. I thought the schools were supposed to get the scores around the same time we did! :(

Sorry not to respond earlier --- I haven't flipped through MSAR lately so I'm not sure what it says about Tufts' financial aid situation.

Both schools are honest about being pricey - and BU has the highest (or one of the highest) tuitions in med school (36 or 38K). Maybe it was just that Tufts was very honest about this, but they said that average Tufts debt is somewhere near 200K. They have a whole big financial aid presentation in their marathon interview day. The national average is around 98K, and most private schools very happily report numbers near there. Anyway, I just had a better feeling about BU. My bank account and I both hope I don't wind up making that decision, though.

Look at interviewfeedback.com for thoughts on both schools.

I'm a M'05 at Tufts and can tell you that admittedly, Tufts is not great at giving its students financial aid directly from the school. That aside, I personally am glad that I am at Tufts and not BU. When I called BU to see if they could interview me around the same time I was flying to interview at Tufts (I'm from Baltimore) they were totally rude and hung up on me even though I was polite. I have met other students who also found Tufts to be a more service-oriented, friendly school than BU, although everyone has their own opinion. I don't know what the grading system at BU is, but Tufts is relatively non-competitive and has Honors/Pass/Fail. If you are waiting to hear from Tufts post-interview, it should take about 6 weeks; they are very prompt. Many, many people came off the waitlist this past year, just FYI. Good luck!

Katie... I agree! I got an interview from Tufts and tried to call BU to see if they had reviewed my application, and they were totally rude!

just some extra info for you that hopefully'll be helpful.

tufts (S-9/6, C-10/29, I-11/27)
bu (S-8/15, C-?, I-10/23)

S- secondary mailed
C- contacted for interview
I- date of interview

on 11/8 i received a note from bu saying that i had been added to a list for further consideration, *but not guaranteed admission.*

to second a post that already exists, according to the dean at the tufts interview, tufts will accept up to 55% of the ppl they interview (including waitlists).

luck!

hello,

I had an interview at Tufts on the 27th as well.. We were in the same room together.. That's so awesome!

Hey SMW, don't worry if you don't hear from Tufts for a while; my application was complete there in August of 2000 when I applied and I didn't get the interview notice until early December. I actually heard quite late from a # of schools even though my application was complete fairly early; I didn't get interviewed by SLU until April and my application was complete there in July 2000! Anyway, if you do get an interview at Tufts post on here and let me know; there is a really nice guy in my class from Anchorage if you want to talk to someone who came all the way from AK. Let me know when you are interviewing (if you do) and I'll recruit him to come find you at the interview session (a lot of students come up to eat with and talk to the interviewees; I have not been yet because of my public health classes on Tuesday afternoons). good luck everyone!
Originally posted by SMW:
•What is up with Tufts? Not a word from them although it's been 6 weeks since my app was complete. They should definitely have my August MCAT sccores by now! Although Boston did e-mail me earlier this month that they didn't have the scores yet. I thought the schools were supposed to get the scores around the same time we did! :( •••

Thanks, katie, that would be great, if I do get an invite. :)