anyone heard from Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsahand

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
i submitted my app middle of july.
i just talked to a friend who get an iview today from that school, and he said that he received a letter from Col. before saying that they have his app.

well, i never got this letter..so im worried aadsas f'd up...
did all you guys who applied there get a letter saying your app is complete?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from them. I submitted mid July too. I'm worried they havent' received my application yet. I guess I have to wait until Wednesday to call them.

me too...i called them and they told me that i was under review and they would get back to me in two weeks...this was a week and a half ago....i never recieved anything from the saying that my file is complete...i guess we just have to wait!?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys call every school to ask if your files are complete? i haven't done that!

ya the schools that i didnt get letters from...

I interviewed there last friday. We were the first group to be interviewed this year and they interview about 10 people every friday, so they'll probably get to you soon.

oldboy said:
I interviewed there last friday. We were the first group to be interviewed this year and they interview about 10 people every friday, so they'll probably get to you soon.

oldboy, how did your interview go? Did you apply really early? :luck:

Tracy47 said:
oldboy, how did your interview go? Did you apply really early? :luck:

Interview went great, definitely my first choice school. I submitted on June 14 and my apps went out on July 21.

ok wats up with all you guys interviewing, where are all the girls. we have a bad enough ratio as it is please dont make it worse, haha.

sdos2009 said:
ok wats up with all you guys interviewing, where are all the girls. we have a bad enough ratio as it is please dont make it worse, haha.
yeah I've been hearing this a lot lately that Columbia prefers male applicants over women? is that true? can someone confirm this? has any female applicants been granted interviews from Columbia yet??????

Bonkers29 said:
yeah I've been hearing this a lot lately that Columbia prefers male applicants over women? is that true? can someone confirm this? has any female applicants been granted interviews from Columbia yet??????

Yup, I have an invite for next week. :D

ok so the first batch was like 9 guys and 1 grl. then last week it was like once again like 8-9 guys and 2 girls, but someone said there was one more tht i didnt see i guess. i dont think the school discriminates against a particular sex but i wish they did and i am sure you know which one i am talking about, haha

Bonkers29 said:

I just received my letter last friday... so that now makes 2 girls ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has received in interview invite please post your grades/dat scores? I'm a late applicant (applying mid-Oct) and would feel better knowing how many of the best students have been fed through the system already.

EyeAmCommi said:
Can anyone who has received in interview invite please post your grades/dat scores? I'm a late applicant (applying mid-Oct) and would feel better knowing how many of the best students have been fed through the system already.

I can't believe you don't know about the heart breaking, eye poping news TWO YEARS AGO!!!

greenday said:
I can't believe you don't know about the heart breaking, eye poping news TWO YEARS AGO!!!

Haha sorry, I must be dense. What do you mean?

i just want to make sure all you young bloods know that you can stay at bard hall dormitory(3min to school) the night b4 the interv. just call the housing dpt at the numb from the website, one hop and you're at your interv. can't beat that.

crappy sex ratio......nah, don't worry abt that fellows. again, it's all abt quality and not quantity. did you see that little asian girl from last fri? i messed up my 6,7,8 just from one glimpse of that ass.

EyeAmCommi said:

hikaru is getting fat. morning musume are taking over.

Bonkers29 said:
it can't be true. girls flirt w/ prof to get help in the lab. prof like girls flirting w/ them...there's no way these prof who are in the adcom will discrim. still, i can't explain the sex ratio.

Halitosis said:
i just want to make sure all you young bloods know that you can stay at bard hall dormitory(3min to school) the night b4 the interv. just call the housing dpt at the numb from the website, one hop and you're at your interv. can't beat that.

crappy sex ratio......nah, don't worry abt that fellows. again, it's all abt quality and not quantity. did you see that little asian girl from last fri? i messed up my 6,7,8 just from one glimpse of that ass.

Halitosis, that's some piece of good information. You solved my problem. Thanks.

Anybody interviewing at Columbia this Friday i.e. Sept. 30th?

for overall applications there are also more guys applying than girls...but not that skewed of a ratio. but everything evens out more eventually (or at least now quite as skewed of a ratio). even when i interviewed last year, there were only 3 girls in my group (i had thought it was weird then, but thought "huh, maybe it's just my interview group").

so i guess it must mean if you're a girl and you've been invited for an interview...you're golden, they already want you in. someone should've told me this last year, would've helped with the nerves (especially after, when i had to wait 2 months to know if i got in or not).

I received a letter from columbia stating that my file is complete.

You have a funny avatar. it cracks me up :laugh:

I just received a letter telling me to schedule my interview. I'm calling tomorrow morning to do so =Þ

EyeAmCommi said:

Ha I'm just playing.
I was referring to the lovely Utada Hikaru.

greenday said:
Ha I'm just playing.
I was referring to the lovely Utada Hikaru.

got the interview letter today. scheduled for oct. 28th. halloween will be a good omen. yesh!

pbure said:
got the interview letter today. scheduled for oct. 28th. halloween will be a good omen. yesh!

Did you e-mail them to set up the interview or did you call them? When I called I got a voicemail message telling me to e-mail them...

Sephisabin said:
Did you e-mail them to set up the interview or did you call them? When I called I got a voicemail message telling me to e-mail them...

i called. maybe you called after the office closed for the day

Me 2.
Sent an email just now to make the schedule.

Sephisabin said:
I just received a letter telling me to schedule my interview. I'm calling tomorrow morning to do so =Þ

pbure said:
i called. maybe you called after the office closed for the day

Thanks pbure. I guess I'm calling again early tomorrow morning to try again. Was Oct. 28th the earliest date that they had?

Sephisabin said:
Thanks pbure. I guess I'm calling again early tomorrow morning to try again. Was Oct. 28th the earliest date that they had?

yes the guy there said it was the earliest. might still be available tomorrow though..call in the morning. if so ill see u there!

as for the pat thing..is a 19 high enough? or even an 18 pat score? im nervous about that now.

pbure said:
yes the guy there said it was the earliest. might still be available tomorrow though..call in the morning. if so ill see u there!

as for the pat thing..is a 19 high enough? or even an 18 pat score? im nervous about that now.

That would rock... I'll let you know what happens!

PAT: I'm not sure what PAT thing you're referring to, so maybe I'm answering a question that's not intended for me... BUT... I'm sure that's a great PAT score. That's the kind of score that most of the people on this forum have. Besides, you got an interview at columbia and they tend to have a higher PAT standard than the other schools--you must be doing something right! Don't sweat it!

pbure said:

i called this morning and they actually had both oct 14 and oct 21 available. tho oct 28 is what they initially offered me. i chose oct 21.

pbure said:

you'll be fine. i got a 17 and i'm drilling fake teeth and waxing them up all purty.

then again, i made a complaint on my test when i took it (before they give you your scores, the computer asked you to type in issues): because the fire alarm went off during the PAT section and i lost about 5 minutes (which i never got back). not sure if that complaint ever showed up with my score report tho (i doubt it).

That's reassurance. Though, I got 1 a point lower, with a PAT of 16. But I'm glad Columbia isn't about numbers. Thanks! :luck:

I scheduled my interview for November 4th. The person I talked to said it was the earliest time that they had avaiable. I guess pbure and netsn06 get to tell me what to expect ;)

I sent the email yesterday and they replied just now and the available dates are Nov. 11 land later. :(
Suppose they will discuss our interview performance the next friday, then, Nov. 18 or 25 interviews should be still earlier than Dec. 1. Hopefully that will be the same.

Sephisabin said:
I scheduled my interview for November 4th. The person I talked to said it was the earliest time that they had avaiable. I guess pbure and netsn06 get to tell me what to expect ;)

vandy_yankee said:
you'll be fine. i got a 17 and i'm drilling fake teeth and waxing them up all purty.

Quick question: The website doesn't say anything about pre-clinical lab work... i.e. learning on dummies etc... They make it sound like dental students are thrown in with medical students for 2 years and then expected to learn clinical skills during the last two years. Please tell me that isn't the case. What's the curriculum really like?

Oh yea, one more question. If we can stay in Bard halls the night before interviews, why didn't they tell us??

pbure said:

I'll be there with ya on the 28th :D

Any recommendations on which hotel shall i stay at while interviewing at columbia?

other than a taxi, whats the best way to get from midtown to the dental school? im not familiar with the subway system at all, but if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!!

im staying by laguardia, then taking a taxi to and from the dental school. anyone know how much the taxi fare is for that?

I just booked a room in Hotel Montroyal. It's 100 bucks for one night :eek:

nrlee said:
im staying by laguardia, then taking a taxi to and from the dental school. anyone know how much the taxi fare is for that?

ya..will come to about 35$.

Oh boy... including airfare, hotel and transportation... yeah... I sure hope NYU doesn't give me an interview for the week after!

Anyone ever get through to check on their status over the phone? I keep getting vmail. Thanks

La Miraflorina said:
Quick question: The website doesn't say anything about pre-clinical lab work... i.e. learning on dummies etc... They make it sound like dental students are thrown in with medical students for 2 years and then expected to learn clinical skills during the last two years. Please tell me that isn't the case. What's the curriculum really like?

Oh yea, one more question. If we can stay in Bard halls the night before interviews, why didn't they tell us??

well thts wat it is really, cause your clinical skills u have to work on on your own time. we only spend a few hours a week in a dental lab, but many people go in on thier own. personally i spend friday and saturday nights next to the stove doing waxups cause they dont give us a torch.

sdos2009 said:
well thts wat it is really, cause your clinical skills u have to work on on your own time. we only spend a few hours a week in a dental lab, but many people go in on thier own. personally i spend friday and saturday nights next to the stove doing waxups cause they dont give us a torch.

thats cause they dont trust geniuses like you with a torch ;)