anyone heard from mayo, duke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilroth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent in check to Mayo a long time ago. That is it here....

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, i don't think anyone has anything from duke as of yet. I haven't received anything from them.

-Ice

Yeah, nothing from Duke, yet, but they begin their "application process" today, according to their website, so it should be sometime soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, havent heard from Duke either. Im expecting they will start sending out secondary app accounts passwords within the next 2 weeks though.

I hear Duke's secondary is very long. Hopefully it is not too bad. I only have three more schools to do (not counting vandy's which I have some time to do and have the autobiog done.) Anyone at VAndy on sept 19, morning?

"Anyone heard from mayo?"

No, but I've already gotten interviews with mustard and ketchup.

*Baddum Ching*

Mayo I sent in check like the first day or two and nothing back, but the admissions lady told me they get about 300 checks back in the first week in general years, so those 200 go into review at the same time and generally take 4-6 weeks (although I expect something in the next 2 weeks from them). I think we sent the Mayo check out approximately 2 weeks ago, maybe a little sooner, so don't start to worry yet.

Duke:
I've seen a lot of posts by people who say the Duke site said somewhere they will be starting the second week of August with secondaries, but I haven't seen this personally on the site, so no clue on that one

-Cantal

Haha sooner. My girlfriend wants me to go to "mayonnaise". That's what she calls it anyway.

Originally posted by soonerpillow
"Anyone heard from mayo?"

No, but I've already gotten interviews with mustard and ketchup.

*Baddum Ching*

*holds hands to head and groans*

Got rejected from Mayo on Tues:( ... Damn! and It was the #1 ranked condiment I applied to.

Originally posted by kilroth
I hear Duke's secondary is very long. Hopefully it is not too bad. I only have three more schools to do (not counting vandy's which I have some time to do and have the autobiog done.) Anyone at VAndy on sept 19, morning?
From what I've heard, it's very long and intense, but don't let that discourage you. If you really want to go to that school, you'll do fine. Good luck to you guys...hope you hear something soon.

Wow, really? Do tell more...how do they notify?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kilroth

hehe, i managed to dig up the questions from the duke secondary last year, but they've probably changed them and you have to write a 45 page thesis on the meaning of life or something like that. and yes, this was the actual secondary.......

Short Answers (1000 character limit)

Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title.

Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

Essays (5000 character limit)

Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge?

The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

enjoy!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:wow: :scared: :(

Holy crap! I think I'm going to cry...

but thanks for the heads up, DW. Now it's time to really contemplate...do I really want to go to Duke???

WOWWY WOW WOW, that Duke secondary is grotesquely difficult. The warning is appreciated DW.

Maybe if I start working on it right now, I'll be able to finish by December 15th, just maybe. :(

SHOCKED.gif

scared.gif

No words. Only FEAR....

ha. that's funny, that's really really funny. and i thought chicago was bad, or even USF's 32,000 character autobiographical book. but this, this has gone too far. we just want to be doctors, is that too much to ask?

Ha! That's the most ridiculous secondary ever. I'm turned off from Duke if that is the case this year. My MCAt is only average there anyway so my chances are slim. I suppose I will consider it if everything else is done. Only two other schools left to do but they are snail mail or something. Finch and Loyola. I have nothing to do right now except fine-touch vandy's! Give me some work or I will get bored! haha

I suppose it's time to prepare for Mayo's freaky phone interview. Haven't heard from them yet but I hear they ask weird questions and don't converse with you. Just ask one question after the other such as "have you thought about your own mortality?" etc etc

oh well, one of my top choices...

PS. Does anyone know how many applicants applied to Duke, how many finished app, how many interviewed, accepted?

Are we forwarned about phone interviews for Mayo? Otherwise, time to start screening calls.

Yes, I'm almost positive we will set up a time with them. They aren't going to waste time tracking people down.

Originally posted by brown04
ha. that's funny, that's really really funny. and i thought chicago was bad, or even USF's 32,000 character autobiographical book. but this, this has gone too far. we just want to be doctors, is that too much to ask?

WORD.

I just talked to mayo. My file was completed on July 30th and they told me it would be another month approximately.