Quantcast

Anyone heard from SIU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurdoc11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I have been informed that the ad com met Tuesday and letters were sent out. Allthough I was told they only offer a few acceptances this time, but more acceptances (25) will be offered after the January meeting. However everyone who was reviewed Tuesday should get a letter of somekind. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten their "letter" yet?

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted there over Thanksgiving, interviewed in mid-October. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

*fatmike*

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed in Mid November and have not heard anything....YET! i will check my mail box today for some kind of letter though.

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed on Tuesday, so I imagine that I won't be included in this batch. Does anyone know when in January they'll be meeting again? Also, what did you all think of the school? My impression was overwhelmingly positive, and SIU is now my #1 choice. Anyone else?

HamOn

futurdoc11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No letter today. It's probably because of the stinkin' christmas mail clogging our mail system. Anyway, I don't know when in January, I was only told "in January". I liked SIU alot also, so I hope I do get a letter soon. It is also very reasonable in price, which is a plus.

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys get two letters if you get in. The first letter says that you have been "Accepted When Seat Available." I'm guessing you'll get that this month. The second letter is your acceptance letter, and should come to you in January if you got in. Hope this helps.

futurdoc11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I got my letter today. It reads "accepted when seat available". Thats a good sign (I think). Anyway, does anyone know if this will definately lead to an acceptance? Because I know that the seats are not filled yet. I really need to know soon. (I have a non-refundable deposit at another school due in early January, that I don't want to pay if I get in to SIU). Any info would be very helpful. Anyone else get the letter today??

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the letter says "This letter does not guarantee you a place in the class, but the probability is high," which literally means what it says. You should get in from my understanding. That letter was quite confusing.

shake well

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmmm....i think im getting mixed signals from SIU....right after I handed in my amcas they sent me a letter saying that something like I wasn't as qualified as other applicants so they would only refer to my appplication (kinda like a hold ot see if anything better comes in first) later kinda thing....and then today i got a letter saying that i need to fill out the supp and i'd get an interview....and you guys are saying that they are interviewing for 'available' seats?

I'm not sure what to make of this....

*fatmike*

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was put on their "Ranked Waitlist". I think i go t the letter on monday.

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey FatMike, sorry you got waitlisted. What do you think went wrong? Good luck!

HamOn Bro

*fatmike*

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One thing that comes to mind is that i am not from southeurn or central IL....i am from oak park which is virtually chicago. I have also heard that they first try to fill the seats with residents from central and southern IL first, then pull people like me off the waitlist later. who knows though....i am not too worried, i still have UIC to hear from!

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting again? I interviewed in mid-December and I guess I'm getting a little ansy. Anyone else waiting on SIU out there?

HamOn

futurdoc11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am waiting on SIU also. They are meeting January 21st. I am ansy also, but I have been working on planning my wedding (March 1) :D So I've been staying busy! Anyway, it's just a waiting game now.

odelay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
crikes. they meet january 21st? so if i just had my interview, i won't find out until late january?

okay, an odd question:

how many letters of recommendation do they require? i thought i remember reading 4 - but i only sent in 3, i believe. but i still was sent a supplemental application, completed it, got a letter saying "all supplemental materials are completed," and then was asked to provide an interview time. well, i did the interview and i'm done with the tours and stuff, and i noticed that the deadline date for "application completion" is February 1st. HOWEVER - do you think i need to send in that extra letter if it is indeed 4 letters? i mean, i just don't remember what the requirement was. i left all my stuff at school for vacation. there's nothing online, either. would they really drive into me for that extra letter of recommendation? i remember thinking it'd be a pain to find another reference (because every other school on the planet only requires 3). any ideas? or am i screwed, as usual? haha, i am probably the only person in America with a silly predicament like this.

futurdoc11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I would say that the best thing to do is just call them. The secretary is very nice. I have the number if you need it. I interviewed right before Thanksgiving, and I also have to wait until the end of January. So be glad that you hear something in January, b/c after January 21, the next time they give out acceptances isn't until March. Good LUck!!

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Futuredoc,

If you interviewed in November, I would've thought you would've been considered on the December 17th board meeting. What gives there?