Anyone heard: NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR or OGS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingKills

Rockstar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone's heard the outcome yet for their scholarship applications.

It's after the 14th and I still don't have an online update from OGS.

Yes, I'm inpatient :p

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from NSERC by mail about two weeks ago. It was good news. :)

Not sure about CIHR or SSHRC, sorry. My OGS status has not been updated online yet either.

I haven't heard anything yet (from ogs or sshrc). Turns out I'll be going to the states for school, so my 'winnings' will be up for grabs anyways. but I'd still like to know if I'd've won!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything yet (from ogs or sshrc). Turns out I'll be going to the states for school, so my 'winnings' will be up for grabs anyways. but I'd still like to know if I'd've won!

Re: SSHRC: I think that you can hold a PGS in the States, just not a CGS; and if you win a CGS and want to study in the US you can downgrade to a PGS. That's how it works for NSERC, anyway-- You may want to double-check just in case.

G'luck! :)

Not sure about CIHR or SSHRC, sorry. My OGS status has not been updated online yet either.

Yay!!! Congrats! I'm thinking the wait was worth it for you - choice of schools and scholarship :D

i was actually reading up on this today...

for clinical psychology positions, I heard NSERC doesn't usually accept them, so apply for SSHRC. is this correct?

How hard is it to get one? My marks are good but not that great. Over 80 for sure, but not 85+ when i average them.

is there any benefit of choosing CIHR over SSHRC?

Congrats, that's great news!!!

i was actually reading up on this today...

for clinical psychology positions, I heard NSERC doesn't usually accept them, so apply for SSHRC. is this correct?

How hard is it to get one? My marks are good but not that great. Over 80 for sure, but not 85+ when i average them.

is there any benefit of choosing CIHR over SSHRC?

From my understanding (and when I applied) psychology is kind of a gray area, so for your application to any of the tri-councils (although I'm not sure about NSERC) you need to write a statement justifying why your research fits within their mandate, so its good to look up their policies on their websites and see where your research fits best. I'm in a clinical program and I do know people who hold NSERCs.

As far as grades, they look at your last two years of work. I'm still waiting to hear, so I'm not sure how hard they are to get:scared:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think CIHR tends to fund more gender-related research and health stuff. I applied to SSHRC and I know I tried really hard to make my research intentions sound as social-sciency as I could! If you are in a lab, or know professors who've applied for their own grants, they usually have a good idea of which council would be your best bet.

re: how hard it is to get one: it's not only about marks, but also your proposal. I think good marks are only to get you past a certain cutoff. After that, it's probably more about your refs, research history, and proposal.

From my understanding (and when I applied) psychology is kind of a gray area, so for your application to any of the tri-councils (although I'm not sure about NSERC) you need to write a statement justifying why your research fits within their mandate, so its good to look up their policies on their websites and see where your research fits best. I'm in a clinical program and I do know people who hold NSERCs.

As far as grades, they look at your last two years of work. I'm still waiting to hear, so I'm not sure how hard they are to get:scared:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think CIHR tends to fund more gender-related research and health stuff. I applied to SSHRC and I know I tried really hard to make my research intentions sound as social-sciency as I could! If you are in a lab, or know professors who've applied for their own grants, they usually have a good idea of which council would be your best bet.

well I have heard clinical people can still get NSERCs, but it has to be on the biological/hard science side. but thanks for the tips, will definitely ask my supervisors to help me out on this one.

re: how hard it is to get one: it's not only about marks, but also your proposal. I think good marks are only to get you past a certain cutoff. After that, it's probably more about your refs, research history, and proposal.

yeah i guessed so - all of these are important.

Can I ask for the proposal: how detailed does it have to be? And do you have to stick with the proposal exactly as is? e.g. what if your PI for grad school has other plans for you or has different work going on.

I wanted to sort of start the application now, and make sure everything is taken care of b/c my school requires the app by early Oct.

Thanks for the answers. I applied for grad placements this year and never even knew about external funding and how important it is.

Re: SSHRC: I think that you can hold a PGS in the States, just not a CGS; and if you win a CGS and want to study in the US you can downgrade to a PGS. That's how it works for NSERC, anyway-- You may want to double-check just in case.

G'luck! :)

That's good to know. Thank you for that.

FYI--OGS has posted the results of the competition on their web site.

Anyone heard from SSHRC yet?

Last edited:
i'm really thinking of applying to CIHR now... i'm just thinking that most people go for NSERC/SSHRC - the competition here might be more fierce. i think i could really stand out at my university and other students if i went for the CIHR...

has anyone here applied to CIHR before? i think the money's the same, something like $15K, just wondering if it would be more competitive or not. i guess i can ask my psych department too.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be more competitive for CIHR. At my university, the university is allowed to forward quite a lot of applications to SSHRC (maybe in the ballpark of 40 or something) whereas for CIHR it's something like 5. It would be best to check with your department and the university as a whole.

Can I ask for the proposal: how detailed does it have to be? And do you have to stick with the proposal exactly as is? e.g. what if your PI for grad school has other plans for you or has different work going on.

I had to change my thesis topic twice while I held SSHRC funding, and it wasn't an issue. One of the changes was quite significant, so I had to write a new proposal outlining my new project and why I could no longer do the old project. I then had to submit this to SSHRC and wait to hear if they would accept the new project or not. The other topic change was minor (small issue in the data I was using...couldn't look at a particular piece I had hoped to), so I didn't have to do anything. All in all, they're pretty forgiving about stuff like this, as long as the new project still falls under the mandate of the council you're receiving funding from.

With regards to SSHRC.. I have been in contact with an officer from SSHRC and was informed that they have not annouced results of the SSHRC MA competition - they hope to mail out the results next week.

A couple questions...
1) At the last phase (i.e., the university has sent on your application to Ottawa for the final review) what is the success rate?
2) I understand SSHRC has completely changed the criteria of their funded research - however, as an applicant out of undergrad (for 1st year MA) do you think they will be strict in implementing these new guidelines immediately? My research proposal was very clinical. I used the same proposal that I applied with last year because my application was successful (however I denied it because I only got into one program and it was not a very reputable one, needless to say). What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

CIHR's announcements came. I was pretty mad. They funded FOUR proposals. Usually they do one or two hundred. My score was high and I'd have gotten the money if they funded at their prior levels. :(

^ i know... what area did you put?
also, if possible can you post the announcement?

everyone's pissed here... everyone's arguing that CIHR is too biologically focused and SSHRC stopped taking most clinical psych proposals (yes, yes, it depends on your project). it's a big mess right now and really hard to get CIHR. also CIHR funding was cut big-time.

I didn't get an announcement, only my personal feedback.
My project was not biologically-focused and I got a great score. CIHR has an announcement that social sciences health research would be highly ranked. However, when the agency funds 4/1000 proposals instead of 200/1000 as in previous years, those are impossible odds.

SSHRC doctoral results were mailed today. Also, my friend was able to find out the status of her proposal by talking to the graduate office.

That is insane about CIHR's funding rate. I don't understand why SSHRC had to stop funding clinically focused proposals.

I feel as though I'm missing something here... I thought we didn't find out about CIHR funding until July 15th? Am I crazy? Or has all the discussion thus far been in relation to the Doctoral Funding Decisions?

You're right Kat 22, only doctoral CIHR funding info has gone out.

Oh gosh, 4/1000 - that is ridiculous. I am not sure how MA funding rates compare to those of Doctoral, however, I was under the impression that NSERC is not funding clinical work AT ALL, SSHRC has cut down significantly and is focusing on social/community related research, and CIHR is funding the bulk of clinical work. If the rates are so low how is anyone going to get proper and deserved funding? This is not good... :(

I think it was a one-time thing. I've heard that some faculty around the country had their funding weakened or cut by the government and the agencies reallocated funds this year to re-fund those folks. Hopefully next year funding will be up to former levels.

Does anyone know about the year cap on CIHR apps? SSHRC has it clearly set up by year (e.g., less than 24 credits of doc studies, you ge three years, 24-36 you get 2, or whatever, etc.), but I didn't see it anywhere on the CIHR web site. Basically I'm wondering f I can still get it while on internship.