anyone here applied to Technion - fall2008 yet??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dondon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone here applied to the Technion for the fall 2008 admission ??

or did registration not even open yet??

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think its open yet.

Fellow Applicants - did you actually hand write your application form? I don't own a typewriter and I don't see how it can be typed onto the PDF. Since I have wanted to be a doctor from the time I learned to write - I have mastered the doctors handwriting and am unable to write legibly by hand.

What should I do????

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow Applicants - did you actually hand write your application form? I don't own a typewriter and I don't see how it can be typed onto the PDF. Since I have wanted to be a doctor from the time I learned to write - I have mastered the doctors handwriting and am unable to write legibly by hand.

What should I do????

Here is the roundabout way I used - copy it to MSWord then type over it:

In adobe acrobat, go to edit->copy file to clipboard

In Microsoft Word, edit->paste (you may have to do edit->office clipboard and select it)

Open the picture toolbar (if not already open) click the picture you just pasted, and click the "text wrapping" button - select "behind text"

Start typing some stuff - if the picture you pasted moves down, move it up over the text - then it will no longer move

Now you have to match up typed text to the background image you pasted. Use a combination of font sizes, tabs, and spaces to do this (to vary the space between rows, change the font size - even when there is no text in that row).

Different versions should work but maybe not exactly - let me know if this is too confusing. have fun.

Thank you!!!! For some reason it only copied the first page of the file. I am using the new MS word if that makes any difference.

Oh yeah, you have to copy each page separately - just have the page you want up when you copy it. I made a separate word document for each page pasted, to make it easier to deal with, but you should be able to do it altogether if you want. Cheers

Where are Technion interviews held?

Where are US Clinical Rotations held?

Thanks!

what about getting an interview first?? has anyone heard back from the technion yet??

According to their website, they have a minimum MCAT score for admissions. Does anyone know what that score is?

I have an interview a week from Monday in NY. I got the invite on Tuesday.

I have an interview with them on Monday as well. Do you have any idea how much time it is going to take? I mean there is no possible way they can give us an on-campus tour.

They told me it would be about an hour. what time is your interview?

10 am. How about yours? Are you from around the NY area too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an awesome interview... I might be changing my signature line if I am accepted.

Did they tell you when we would hear from them? I forgot to ask.

Did anyone also apply to Ben Gurion? I applied to Technion, I've already e-mailed them twice to see if my application has been recieved but no one has e-mailed me back, any advise?

Did anyone also apply to Ben Gurion? I applied to Technion, I've already e-mailed them twice to see if my application has been recieved but no one has e-mailed me back, any advise?

Call Rinat Ben-Chaim

They said it should be a couple weeks. Hopefully not too long. The doctor from Brown I thought was really nice, but Dr. Shalev didn't say too much during the interview.

Goodluck, and to all those applying

I am getting so antsy!!! Did they say whether they are going to email or mail their decisions?

Wish I could tell you. It'll probably be email... that's how they informed me of the interview.

About how long after you mailed in your application, did the Technion contact you about interviews?

Congrats. Me too!!! :D ...So apparently it was through E-mail!!

I may try to defer a year so that I can get my masters in Biomedical Engineering at Cornell though. So you might have to show me the ropes when I get there!

Congrats. Me too!!! :D ...So apparently it was through E-mail!!

I may try to defer a year so that I can get my masters in Biomedical Engineering at Cornell though. So you might have to show me the ropes when I get there!

When you came in for your interview, did you see me on my cell phone in the lobby? I was there until about 9:45.

Thanks!

Yeah I think I may have; maybe you were leaving through the rotating doors as I was walking in with my girlfriend? Does this sound about right?

Hmm, maybe. I was wondering if you were one of two guys I saw walking in around 9:40. So, you think you are going to go to Technion? We are pretty much sure at this point. I am stoked. (agh, i can't believe I just used that word!)

We'll to be honest I'm not quite sure. But it is definitely a great option!

I would be very excited to travel back there again, but I have a lot to consider between this, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, and NYCOM. Four completely different paths make you stop to contemplate your future goals I guess. If they allow me I would love to do a year at Cornell and then head over.

Either way I'll keep the Technion updated with my plans!

I am choosing the Technion. I wonder if I can get chocolate bunnies in Israel. They taste so much better than chanukah gelt.

I made a facebook group

Technion American Medical School: Class of 2012

Join if you are coming!!

Is the interview fairly standard like other medical schools? I have an interview with the Technion coming up soon.

TopDocChick, and others, what made you decide on Technion over the other Israeli schools? My application's underway with Technion, but I already have an interview lined up in NY with BGU. Do you think it would be too much chutzpah if I tried to schedule the Technion interview at the same time?

It's a bit frustrating having to mail my documents out to Israel. Some got lost in the mail, although Rinat has been very helpful.

TopDocChick, and others, what made you decide on Technion over the other Israeli schools? My application's underway with Technion, but I already have an interview lined up in NY with BGU. Do you think it would be too much chutzpah if I tried to schedule the Technion interview at the same time?

It's a bit frustrating having to mail my documents out to Israel. Some got lost in the mail, although Rinat has been very helpful.

I did not consider the other two schools. Technion has the research and faculty I am interested in working with.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the impression I get:

BGU - if you are interested in global health
Sackler - if you are only interested is becoming a practicing physician in the US
Technion - if you are interested in research

Obviously all are for American students and will hopefully result in an American residency.

Technion allows for students to do their residencies in the US or Israel. Sackler recently reinstituted this same option for its students. Some people want to make aliyah with an inroad for employment in Israel. This opportunity is now available to us that are lucky enough to get admitted into one of these two schools.

I did not consider the other two schools. Technion has the research and faculty I am interested in working with.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the impression I get:

BGU - if you are interested in global health
Sackler - if you are only interested is becoming a practicing physician in the US
Technion - if you are interested in research

Obviously all are for American students and will hopefully result in an American residency.

I'm in too!!!:) I hope the rest of you get in to.

TopDocChick I guess we'll see each other in August. How can I find "Technion American Medical School: Class of 2012" group on facebook? I tried searching it but no luck.

I'm in too!!!:) I hope the rest of you get in to.

TopDocChick I guess we'll see each other in August. How can I find "Technion American Medical School: Class of 2012" group on facebook? I tried searching it but no luck.

Evguenia,

are you going to the technion instead of sackler? if so, do you mind telling me why you chose the technion?

I believe that the girl who started the Facebook group decided in the end not to attend TEAMS. I was thinking of re-starting the group myself, but over the past few days I have been hearing from a lot of people that Sackler is the way to go (way more established, more serious students, etc). I am really not sure which is the better match of the two--anyone have any insights to share?

Dondon,

There were tons of reasons why for me Technion seems to be the right chose. Smaller class size (only 32 this year) will allow for more individual learning experiences and better relationships with professors and the Dean, who in the end will write you a better letter of reference.

Plus, if you look at Sackler's Match List of 2008 practically every students received placements in NY. For me, this city is way too hectic and expensive. But if you like NY than Sackler is definitely your school.

As well, Technion is famous for its research all around the world. If you want to get a placement in a competitive field than you definitely need to have some publications behind your back. Who else can help you better with this than Technion? In their program, you are required to complete a two-year research component. I think Technion takes research very seriously and can definitely put you on the right track.

At the interview, the Dean told me that they just signed the contract with a hospital in London, Ontario (Canada). Now, students can do clinical electives in Canada too! I'm a Canadian, so for me this will open a door to possibly get a residency in Canada. Trust me after this information will become official, the application pool for Technion will increase dramatically.

You also need to look at the cities where you'll be studying for the next 3,5 years. Tel Aviv or Haifa? I prefer Haifa. I've read it is safer and more quiet than Tel Aviv. I've found this quote on Wikipedia.org: "Haifa works, Jerusalem prays, and Tel Aviv plays". I think it is quite representative of the cities. I know Tel Aviv is a very lively city and is famous for its parties. I'm afraid I will have way too many distractions from my studies there.

I know many people in the Forums say that Sackler is much better. I think they have that mentality, because Technion does not advertise themselves so well in the States. I've never even heard of this school until I accidentally found itheir website on the internet last year. But it does not mean that the school is worse than Sackler. Why advertise when they already have a huge applicant pool and are very well known in the medical community for their research.

However, I heard that Sackler gives students more time to study for USMLEs (I guess because with the research component of Technion, the students generally have more work). But I think if you study you will do great on these exams no matter which school you choose.

You can also read more in "Sackler vs. Technion" Section. The link:

http://www.valuemd.com/israeli-medical-schools/129822-sackler-vs-technion.html

Best of luck! Hope you'll make the decision that is right for you :luck:

Dondon,

There were tons of reasons why for me Technion seems to be the right chose. Smaller class size (only 32 this year) will allow for more individual learning experiences and better relationships with professors and the Dean, who in the end will write you a better letter of reference.

Plus, if you look at Sackler's Match List of 2008 practically every students received placements in NY. For me, this city is way too hectic and expensive. But if you like NY than Sackler is definitely your school.

As well, Technion is famous for its research all around the world. If you want to get a placement in a competitive field than you definitely need to have some publications behind your back. Who else can help you better with this than Technion? In their program, you are required to complete a two-year research component. I think Technion takes research very seriously and can definitely put you on the right track.

At the interview, the Dean told me that they just signed the contract with a hospital in London, Ontario (Canada). Now, students can do clinical electives in Canada too! I'm a Canadian, so for me this will open a door to possibly get a residency in Canada. Trust me after this information will become official, the application pool for Technion will increase dramatically.

You also need to look at the cities where you'll be studying for the next 3,5 years. Tel Aviv or Haifa? I prefer Haifa. I've read it is safer and more quiet than Tel Aviv. I've found this quote on Wikipedia.org: "Haifa works, Jerusalem prays, and Tel Aviv plays". I think it is quite representative of the cities. I know Tel Aviv is a very lively city and is famous for its parties. I'm afraid I will have way too many distractions from my studies there.

I know many people in the Forums say that Sackler is much better. I think they have that mentality, because Technion does not advertise themselves so well in the States. I've never even heard of this school until I accidentally found itheir website on the internet last year. But it does not mean that the school is worse than Sackler. Why advertise when they already have a huge applicant pool and are very well known in the medical community for their research.

However, I heard that Sackler gives students more time to study for USMLEs (I guess because with the research component of Technion, the students generally have more work). But I think if you study you will do great on these exams no matter which school you choose.

You can also read more in "Sackler vs. Technion" Section. The link:

http://www.valuemd.com/israeli-medical-schools/129822-sackler-vs-technion.html

Best of luck! Hope you'll make the decision that is right for you :luck:

thanks so much for your input. you present a pretty strong case and it makes a lot of sense. you are probably right about the sackler vs technion issue, ultimately it is a matter of personal preference. i was just wondering how someone else came to make his decision because i hope to have the option of making the decision myself. i was interviewed by both schools, but have not heard from them yet.

Evguenia,

one last thing. and i really dont mean to undermine the reasons you listed to attend the technion (because as i said they are good reasons, and i hope to have the same oppertunity). So not to be a dick or anything, but you were actually accepted to sackler and then chose not to go, correct?

At my Technion interview, the told me that i'd hear in 2 to 4 weeks. Today makes 2 weeks. I hadn't heard anything, but just saw that someone heard.
- How did Technion let you know (phone, email, letter?)

I am absolutely dying to go to Technion. In fact, i just started taking Hebrew and even put hebrew stickers on my keyboard!

At my Technion interview, the told me that i'd hear in 2 to 4 weeks. Today makes 2 weeks. I hadn't heard anything, but just saw that someone heard.
- How did Technion let you know (phone, email, letter?)

I am absolutely dying to go to Technion. In fact, i just started taking Hebrew and even put hebrew stickers on my keyboard!

I got an email from Rinat in two weeks from the interview. She said the official letter will come in mail but she just wanted to tell me the good news. Try calling Rinat (the secretary of Technion), I heard that someone just called her and she said that they got in. Also, did you send them the letter of interest after the interview? I think the letter is what convinced them about me. Try doing it if you haven't. If you need more help with the letter, let me know.

Evguenia,

one last thing. and i really dont mean to undermine the reasons you listed to attend the technion (because as i said they are good reasons, and i hope to have the same oppertunity). So not to be a dick or anything, but you were actually accepted to sackler and then chose not to go, correct?

:) Its ok. No, I did not hear anything from Sackler yet. I had my interview with them on Feb. 21st, but I heard they usually take forever to respond. However, Technion was my #1 choice.

I don't want you to feel that I am biased in my previous answer about why go to Technion. I did extensive research about both schools before I applied and realized that Technion fits me better.

Have you tried calling Technion? I heard if you call Rinat (the secretary), she will tell you what they decided.

i hope you are right, ill give her a call tomorrow, or later tonight... i hope she works on fridays

Did anyone also apply to BGU. I was accepted to BGU and Technion, Im having a really hard time deciding between the two. On one hand I am very interested in the research Technion has to offer, but I am also drawn to BGU for the global health focus.

Does anyone know what the student body is like at Technion? or in what major ways Technion differs from BGU aside from the global health focus

i actually never even applied to BGU... maybe i should have, idk, i am not in to the whole global health thing...

so mirmaid059, where did you decide to go?

who here is going to the technion anyway??

Hey I'm a first year at BGU. While there are lots of good reasons to attend the other two programs in Israel, I would seriously recommend BGU. We have an incredible international health component that creates an amazing diverse student body while giving students the skills to practice medicine around the world. The research opportunities here are also great. Many of my classmates are doing clinical or lab based research at Soroka. For those Canadians out there, a fourth year just matched in internal medicine at University of Toronto- an incredibly competitive program. The experience here is incredible and I would highly recommend it to everyone.

did anyone get into the technion without personally having rinat tell you of your acceptance over the phone or an email??