1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Here Attend TCOM?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Intrepidation, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Intrepidation

Intrepidation I wear PASG underwear
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I am currently a freshman enrolled at UNT. I am following the all around premed track, with the usual bio/chem combo. My question refers to the 7-year program that UNT-HSC with TCOM offers. ON the webpage, the description is very vaque and simply implies that you work toward your B.S. and apply to TCOM your sophomore year.. Is anybody in this program that can provide me with some insight? Also, What is the basic cost of living in Ft.Worth combined with the cost of TCOM's tuition? I know it may be early, but I am trying to work out through the complexities of loans.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Member
    7+ Year Member

hi. I go to TCOM. The loans that the college will get you--cover the cost of living. That means apartment, food, books and tuition. And a little extra (movies, dinner, club fees).

You can get a 1 bdr for $335 fully furnished here. The tuition is the lowest anywhere. It is a great town with lots of friendly faces. Very affordable.

Right now, they pay out around 18,000 per year in Sub/unsub Stafford loans. Split into two dispersments. So it is a great way to go.

Sorry...I have no info on the 7yr program. I'm a non-traditional student. Good Luck. :D

4. mazzy

mazzy Junior Member

i dont know much about the 7 year program, but this is what i do know. i did my undergrad at UTA and they signed a contract with TCOM last year for the 7 year degree. basically they take about 15 students into the program and if the students keep a certain gpa and make at least a 27 on the mcat they are guranteed a slot. i think these are the correct numbers and that this is how it works, although i could be wrong. i think the program at your school probably works the same way at other schools TCOM has a contract with. i would encourage you to call your pre med advisor and ask questions. good luck!

5. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Member
    7+ Year Member

oigna462,
    RE: your private message

The apartment complex is located off of Las Vegas Trail, south of I-30. It is 7 miles from the school. In fact there is a whole strip of complexes down this road. I don't remember the complex name at the moment (there is also another one off of Normandale in the same general area).

The area is "fair". Meaning lots of cultural diversity with slightly lower economic status. If you are mainly "sleeping" there and "studying" elsewhere, it is a great place.

However, you might consider renting a room from someone for $300. I know that Matt Opalach and his wife have a spare room but I don't know if someone claimed it yet.

I think most of our classmates are off of South Hulen. That area is very student friendly with lots of quality resources. But you will pay slightly more.