Anyone here choose Hopkins over Harvard? Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indryd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I've already gotten into Hopkins. I loved it there and would be delighted to go there...

Dilemma: I had by far my best interviews at Harvard, and I am 90% sure I got in (non-trad great stats great EC's phenom letters blah blah blah *sorry*). NOW, all irritation at my saying that aside, ASSUMING I get in, I still have this odd gut feeling that Hopkins would be the place for me.

I mean, I was BLOWN AWAY by Harvard...holy **** what an amazing place. Beautiful campus, amazing location, being catered to almost like a little godlet, the best "name" in the biz...I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Harvard...

Hopkins on the other hand...competition, crappy location, sort of not-so-great city, and the ol' "smartest kids who couldn't get in to Harvard syndrome" (don't hate, lol, that is a quote from my Hopkins tour guide).

The thing is, something, I don't know what, just this gut feeling, is making me feel drawn to Hopkins over Harvard. I must say, I honestly liked Harvard much better, but still...

So, all you who made the choice between Harvard and Hopkins, would you mind discussing which and why?

Thanks all, in advance,

w00t!

Members don't see this ad.

Indryd said:
Hey all,

So, I've already gotten into Hopkins. I loved it there and would be delighted to go there...

Dilemma: I had by far my best interviews at Harvard, and I am 90% sure I got in (non-trad great stats great EC's phenom letters blah blah blah *sorry*). NOW, all irritation at my saying that aside, ASSUMING I get in, I still have this odd gut feeling that Hopkins would be the place for me.

I mean, I was BLOWN AWAY by Harvard...holy **** what an amazing place. Beautiful campus, amazing location, being catered to almost like a little godlet, the best "name" in the biz...I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Harvard...

Hopkins on the other hand...competition, crappy location, sort of not-so-great city, and the ol' "smartest kids who couldn't get in to Harvard syndrome" (don't hate, lol, that is a quote from my Hopkins tour guide).

The thing is, something, I don't know what, just this gut feeling, is making me feel drawn to Hopkins over Harvard. I must say, I honestly liked Harvard much better, but still...

So, all you who made the choice between Harvard and Hopkins, would you mind discussing which and why?

Thanks all, in advance,

w00t!

Oh pleeeze child.....anyone who's anyone who's anyone goes to Mississippi for med school.....everyone knows that!

Harvard, Hopkins.....your just wastin your time man.

Honestly, i think you need to think about your FUTURE! What will residency and program directors think if you go to a place like Hopkins or Harvard...

my thoughts exactly....substandard training!

i hope you make the right choice....actually, more like the only choice.

geez, and you call yourself pre-med....good luck getting an education in burgers and fries at those places!

[QOUTE/]

w00t![/QUOTE]

and another thing...."in to" needs to be changed to "into".

geez, where did you go to undergrad, Yale!

spelling is something you should definitely work on before Mississippi. i dont know about those other schools, but Mississippi is a tough place...cut throat competition actually. But your training will be WORLD CLASS, sure enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
and another thing...."in to" needs to be changed to "into".

geez, where did you go to undergrad, Yale!

spelling is something you should definitely work on before Mississippi. i dont know about those other schools, but Mississippi is a tough place...cut throat competition actually. But your training will be WORLD CLASS, sure enough!

Uhh yeah, with my spelling, I didn't even THINK about trying to get into the Ol' Miss'. I knew from the beginning that I'd be stuck at some fancy-ass low-rent east-coast dive. I mean, how can I compete with grammar at the awe-inspiring level you present? Too bad for me...anyhow, anyone care to reply to my question?

Thanks!

Indryd said:
Uhh yeah, with my spelling, I didn't even THINK about trying to get into the Ol' Miss'. I knew from the beginning that I'd be stuck at some fancy-ass low-rent east-coast dive. I mean, how can I compete with grammar at the awe-inspiring level you present? Too bad for me...anyhow, anyone care to reply to my question?

Thanks!

Clearly no contest. Dr Julius Hibbert went to John Hopkins.

Therefore the big JOHO wins hands down.

If you read "The Great Influenza" by Barry you will find out that medicine is what it is in the US today because of Johns Hopkins, not because of Harvard.

Indryd said:
Hey all,

Thanks all, in advance,

w00t!

I sent you a PM.

i'd prolly have waited to get the letter from harvard and then ask SDN...

virilep said:
i'd prolly have waited to get the letter from harvard and then ask SDN...
I understand what you're saying, but the thing is I am making travel plans for spring break right now, and because I have a family, every dollar counts. If I just flat out decide not to "second look" Harvard regardless of acceptance or not then I can save some money and plan things more efficiently. You're right though, and I'm not counting my chickens here or anything...

bigfrank said:
I sent you a PM.
Hey man, I never got that PM. Would you mind sending it again? Thanks!

Indryd said:
Hey man, I never got that PM. Would you mind sending it again? Thanks!

If you want to be a doctor, go to Hopkins. Trust your gut.

-PB

Harvard is a crappy school. I hear head and neck anatomy is optional there. Those kids are all just riding the school name.

Oh, and baltimore is probably one of the worst cities in the US.

Indryd said:
Hey all,

Thanks all, in advance,

w00t!

Wow, what a stressfull decision to have to make. I mean you're obviously brilliant - since you've told us so. I mean Harvard vs. Hopkins is like which would I rather have - a sharp stick or a hot poker in my eye - I'm blind either way, so who gives a ****.

Did you really need to post on SDN to make this decision, or did you just want people to congratulate you for being so great?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins teaches you things out of this world.

Indryd said:
I understand what you're saying, but the thing is I am making travel plans for spring break right now, and because I have a family, every dollar counts. If I just flat out decide not to "second look" Harvard regardless of acceptance or not then I can save some money and plan things more efficiently. You're right though, and I'm not counting my chickens here or anything...

If every dollar really counted, you would go to your less expensive state school - spring break costs are chump change compared to private med school tuition. :rolleyes: But perhaps the correct approach would be to see where you can get a better financial package of the two.
I also heard that head/neck thing about harvard, but that still leaves like 75% of the body to work on, which should be enough to pass the boards. :)

PostalWookie said:

Very true. I believe their slogan is "Baltimore - At Least It's Not Detroit!"

The difference between Hopkins and Harvard is like splitting hairs. I think you should go where you feel the most comfortable. I interviewed at Hopkins and Harvard for residency and felt more comfortable at Hopkins. I didn't have a problem ranking Hopkins higher than Harvard. Not your exact situation but take it for what's it worth. They are both great schools and being #1 vs #2 shouldn't impact your decision.

PostalWookie said:

I went to Hopkins for undergrad, and I actually liked Baltimore. Lots of character, great ballpark, yummy crabcakes, the inner harbor and fells point are cool, cheap train ride from DC... Yeah, there is crime but use your common sense and you can avoid most of it. (Although I was the victim of indecent exposure once :laugh: ) But the medical school is very well patrolled by Baltimore PD and JHU security.

mendel121 said:
Wow, what a stressfull decision to have to make. I mean you're obviously brilliant - since you've told us so. I mean Harvard vs. Hopkins is like which would I rather have - a sharp stick or a hot poker in my eye - I'm blind either way, so who gives a ****.

Did you really need to post on SDN to make this decision, or did you just want people to congratulate you for being so great?
Wow...why you gotta hate? If you are not interested in answering my questions why even look at my thread? Just so you could be a jerk?

Thanks, though.

BTW, I kind of have always used SDN to get together with people in similar situations as me and offer/accept advice/anecdotes and support. Believe it or not, there are people out there who were accepted at both schools, and I am interested in finding out what aspects of each school helped them make their decision on which to chose (or not choose either).

Does the fact that you are on SDN mean that you are just looking for congratulations on being a pre-med/med student/doctor or whatever you are? Or is it possible that you actually like discussing things that concern you with people in similar situations?

My, oh my.

Indryd said:
My, oh my.

"Hey all - I've gotten accepted to Hopkins and I'm feeling good about my chances at Harvard. I really liked Harvard, and they're both great schools but I hear such great things about Hopkins. Anyone have an input that might help sway me?"

That might have been a good way to ask, but you had to tell us about how great you are - it's unecessary to the question, and it is something that really bothers me about my fellow med students.

I've been to grad school, and I've been in Med school - the difference is a med student will tell you how great he/she is and a grad student will just show you. Many med students can't go more than 5 seconds w/o telling you how great they are and it's annoying - if you're really that good you wouldn't need to be telling me.

I come on SDN to hear what others have to say and to learn. I also come to express my opinions about things like this.

I hope that Hopkins/Harvard treats you well.

You could consider the different teaching methods at each, as well as their testing policy. Perhaps you could sit in on some lectures to help make your decision as well.

I think both will offer a great education and Im sure you're going to do well at either place, both will open many a door in your future.

Good luck!

(And I don't mind the bragging thing, its cute to see people so excited about their accomplishments :) )

actually, I just saw your stats:

Oregon resident current and x 10 years
GPA/BCPM 3.85/3.75
MCAT 36

Mad EC's including major involvement with medical community x 3 years.

They weren't better than mine :p

Pick Hopkins. Cause I like Anthony Hopkins. In fact, I said that in my interview there. (maybe thats why I didn't get accepted). But hey-you don't have that problem-so like I said-go for the best bet. Who ever heard of Anthony Harvard? (plus Harvard totally brings to mind images of snobs-do you really want to live with that stereotype for the rest of your life?) Hopkins also sounds cool...like the Mayo clinic. Yummm....mayo...

mendel121 said:
"Hey all - I've gotten accepted to Hopkins and I'm feeling good about my chances at Harvard. I really liked Harvard, and they're both great schools but I hear such great things about Hopkins. Anyone have an input that might help sway me?"

That might have been a good way to ask, but you had to tell us about how great you are - it's unecessary to the question, and it is something that really bothers me about my fellow med students.

Hey-I totally know what you mean about medical students and bragging-its something that I have a problem with as well (even I do it sometimes and find it irritating in myself and other people)-but I don't think there was anything in OP's statement that was bragging.

Although I have to admit it can be hard to read about someone's struggle in choosing between two such reputable schools.

mendel121 said:
"I've been to grad school, and I've been in Med school - the difference is a med student will tell you how great he/she is and a grad student will just show you. .

From one former grad student (who hopes to also be a med student one day) to another dam, I REALLY like that!!! :thumbup: :laugh:

Hey, hey, thanks to all you who have taken the time to give serious answers. I really appreciate it!

To those of you who are irritated with my "unfortunate" little conundrum, I'm sorry if I sound crazy being torn up about choosing between what most consider to slightly different levels of heaven (as do I, to be sure!), but to me, there is a lot at stake here. I have a family, I am really getting on in years compared to most in my shoes, and I just plain CAN'T afford an even slightly wrong decision at this point in my life.

And I never once claimed I was great. I started an honest thread with an honest question. I have no need to TELL people about my accomplishments, as you said of grad students, my competence and accomplishments speak for themselves. If someone got on and asked about a choice between U of Podunk and the Boondocks SOM, would they be accused of showing off and bragging about the fact that they were smart enough to get into med school? Of course not. It just so happens my choice is between to more famous schools. And besides, if I wanted to brag or show off, I would have posted this thread in pre-allo...

So, Les' chill-io everyboday! And keep those serious opinions coming!

Thanks everyone!

yposhelley said:
Pick Hopkins. Cause I like Anthony Hopkins. In fact, I said that in my interview there. (maybe thats why I didn't get accepted). But hey-you don't have that problem-so like I said-go for the best bet. Who ever heard of Anthony Harvard? (plus Harvard totally brings to mind images of snobs-do you really want to live with that stereotype for the rest of your life?) Hopkins also sounds cool...like the Mayo clinic. Yummm....mayo...
Ever had Hopkins Mayo? *drool*

Indryd said:
Ever had Hopkins Mayo? *drool*

No, unfortunately they will only let you sample it after you are accepted. Just one of the priviledges I will never taste...

Indryd said:
Hey, hey, thanks to all you who have taken the time to give serious answers. I really appreciate it!

To those of you who are irritated with my "unfortunate" little conundrum, I'm sorry if I sound crazy being torn up about choosing between what most consider to slightly different levels of heaven (as do I, to be sure!), but to me, there is a lot at stake here. I have a family, I am really getting on in years compared to most in my shoes, and I just plain CAN'T afford an even slightly wrong decision at this point in my life.

And I never once claimed I was great. I started an honest thread with an honest question. I have no need to TELL people about my accomplishments, as you said of grad students, my competence and accomplishments speak for themselves. If someone got on and asked about a choice between U of Podunk and the Boondocks SOM, would they be accused of showing off and bragging about the fact that they were smart enough to get into med school? Of course not. It just so happens my choice is between to more famous schools. And besides, if I wanted to brag or show off, I would have posted this thread in pre-allo...

So, Les' chill-io everyboday! And keep those serious opinions coming!

Thanks everyone!

Trashing your claims to greatness aside - don't discount the other point, that you shouldn't worry about choosing between two great schools like this based on academics (or reputation) - especially when considering the family the choice in this case is where the family would be happiest - you really can't go wrong with either one based on reputation.

I've got a wife and two kids, and I chose a school because it was good for them - I think that school reputation is somewhat over-rated anyways - so don't discount option C (other schools) if it's available to you.

mendel121 said:
I've been to grad school, and I've been in Med school - the difference is a med student will tell you how great he/she is and a grad student will just show you. Many med students can't go more than 5 seconds w/o telling you how great they are and it's annoying - if you're really that good you wouldn't need to be telling me.

Haha, I've been to both as well, and that's often so true. It's ingrained in the culture from day 1, with the white coat ceremony and the speeches about how special we all are because we are future doctors. Our med school also has a banquet for the 3rd years right before we start clinical rotations with the same sort of stuff. Lots of patting yourself on the back in medicine. Makes it very hard to refrain from doing this: :rolleyes:

Anyway, to the OP, good luck with your choice. I know you weren't trying to come across as bragging. As you will no doubt learn once you start med school, it's usually best to keep the details of your stats and grades and whatnot to yourself.

I went to Hopkins instead of Harvard. I liked Hopkins because it is more down to earth and less pretentious than Haaaarvaaard. The people here are definitely more genuine, not to mention smarter. Harvard is pretty weak if you ask me...you might as well go to a DO school if you're considering Harvard.

If you are an Oregon resident and really serious about finding a good environment for your family, you cant go wrong with OHSU. Portland is a much better place to raise your kid(s) (safer, lower cost of living). OHSU attracts more non-trads. In-state tuition. It even has an "H" in its name!

TheMightyAngus said:
If you are an Oregon resident and really serious about finding a good environment for your family, you cant go wrong with OHSU. Portland is a much better place to raise your kid(s) (safer, lower cost of living). OHSU attracts more non-trads. In-state tuition. It even has an "H" in its name!
Believe me, OHSU was by FAR my first choice when this whole journey began. I LOVE Portland, especially the hill and the neighborhoods in between downtown and the hill. The east-coast schools were sort of just for a lark.

The thing is...OHSU has not even looked at me yet...I turned in their secondary like early or mid October...I forget when...and I haven't heard from them since. My attempts to get in contact with anyone who is willing to look up my file and tell me wtf is going on have only made me more and more jaded with the school. Bad administration = bad news...

I haven't gotten any love from the west coast except USC, but I already had my Hopkins acceptance before USC got to me...and if I'm going to live in East LA, I may as well live in Baltimore...the one thing I swore was I would stay on the west coast no matter what...guess not...

Anyhow...

let me dispell this no head and neck anatomy rumor. We do head and neck! Granted we don't spend a ton of time memorizing every muscle in the face, but we do spend enough time to get the basics. I think the rumor got started because the dental students at Harvard do get some extra time on head and neck. THat doesn't mean the new pathway students don't get any!

A big thing to keep in mind is that HMS is undergoing massive curriculum reform and next year's class will be the first to experience this. On the one hand, its great that they are being very innovative, especially considering their current PBL based curriculum is relatively modern. On the other hand, do you really want to be in that initial class? There may be a lot of kinks to work out. If I were in your shoes, I would still pick harvard but mainly because I'd rather live in boston and the harvard hospital system offers unparalleled resources for research, shadowing, etc...But don't count those chickens before they hatch. Just because you are super awesome and got into hopkins doesn't mean hms will accept you. There are random factors totally out of your control in this process. Namely, there are a lot more qualified applicants than the 160 it takes to feel HMS's class...

fredmanny said:
I went to Hopkins instead of Harvard. I liked Hopkins because it is more down to earth and less pretentious than Haaaarvaaard. The people here are definitely more genuine, not to mention smarter. Harvard is pretty weak if you ask me...you might as well go to a DO school if you're considering Harvard.

Ouch. So I suppose if you're going to go to a school like Tufts or BU, then you may as well go to nursing school. :rolleyes:

Notice he was banned for trolling...don't feed the trolls!

I am at Hopkins now. I don't like med school per se (tough life), but I LOVE hopkins and if I had to do it all over again, I would definitely still come to med school here. Hopkins is an AMAZING place & has so much great history & you just meet the most awesome & accomplished people. Whan I was applying someone told me if you want to become a great clinician go to hopkins, but if you want to go into administration/public policy go to harvard. HTH. HOPKINS ROCKS! :)

Indryd said:
I had by far my best interviews at Harvard, and I am 90% sure I got in

What makes you feel you had your best interviews at Harvard? I mean, I felt really good there as well, but I don't think I'd say I'm 90% sure I'll get in.

06applicant said:
What makes you feel you had your best interviews at Harvard? I mean, I felt really good there as well, but I don't think I'd say I'm 90% sure I'll get in.
lol check this...it was crazy.

My first interview was scheduled for 45 minutes and ended up going 3 hours. The doc called and cancelled a previous engagement in the middle of this, and I missed my official tour and everything. When I left he was all welled up with tears over what we were talking about...

My second interview went just the normal 45, but at the end my interviewer gave me a big hug and said "welcome to Harvard, Dr. [first name here]!"

I had some great interviews before Harvard, but my Harvard interviews were just insane...like a freakish dream of perfect interviews.

In my interviewing experience, and from what I can gather from hearing fellow applicants' stories, these kind of interviews are not "run of the mill" or whatever.

So anyway, that's why I am figuring on (though not counting on, by any means) getting in. Sorry if I sounded pompous in the original post.

w00t!

Indryd said:
lol check this...it was crazy.

My first interview was scheduled for 45 minutes and ended up going 3 hours. The doc called and cancelled a previous engagement in the middle of this, and I missed my official tour and everything. When I left he was all welled up with tears over what we were talking about...

My second interview went just the normal 45, but at the end my interviewer gave me a big hug and said "welcome to Harvard, Dr. [first name here]!"

I had some great interviews before Harvard, but my Harvard interviews were just insane...like a freakish dream of perfect interviews.

In my interviewing experience, and from what I can gather from hearing fellow applicants' stories, these kind of interviews are not "run of the mill" or whatever.

So anyway, that's why I am figuring on (though not counting on, by any means) getting in. Sorry if I sounded pompous in the original post.

w00t!

Based on that, I'd say 90% is being very conservative. You should bump that up to 99.9%.

164 spots left for me.

Sorry, I'm the opposite of what you requested--I was accepted at both HMS and Hopkins, but decided on HMS. It WAS a difficult decision, though, as I had (and still have) immense respect for the clinical education at Hopkins. I even did a second look visit there. That being said, during the re-visit there, one of the senior members of their faculty sitting at my table for lunch told me directly that 4 out of 5 students dually accepted at HMS and Hopkins choose HMS. For me, I looked at the question from the perspective of what both programs would let me achieve at the end, and how painful it would be to get to that end. I really think that the match lists at Harvard and Hopkins are virtually identical in quality, both far exceeding what I saw at any other school I interviewed at. Harvard's list was a bit more inbred, though-- 50-55% of our class usually stays at MGH or the Brigham for residency (which I think speaks highly of how happy they are there). Since the most important "end" result of med school was essentially identical at both places, I began to focus on which program I would be happiest at, and the answer I very quickly arrived at was Harvard. Not to knock Baltimore, but Boston is FAR superior in almost everyway (well, perhaps not weather or cost of living :) ). Also, the people I met at Harvard just seemed much happier than the med students at Hopkins. For me personally, my years in med school have been by far the happiest of my life--few friends attending other med schools can say the same. I love my fellow students here, and really like that we have the opportunity to rotate through 4 different world-class hospitals (Children's, MGH, BWH and BIDMC), all of which frankly have much nicer facilities than the main Hopkins hospital (which is still superb clinically, obviously). I have not a single regret.

Interestingly, as a current fourth year student, my residency match list again came down to a decision between a Harvard hospital and Hopkins. I must have drunk the Kool-Aid, because I ultimately decided to rank the Harvard hospital #1, for many of the same reasons as I had when choosing a med school (better facilities, much better city, happier residents).

If you have any specific questions from someone who was in your shoes and now has the perspective of being towards the end of my med school career, feel free to PM me.