Anyone here do Pre-Med at UNC-Chapel Hill, or know anything about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMD2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to be a freshman (out of state-NY) at UNC-Chapel Hill this fall and I just wanted to know if anyone here has done Pre-Med there or know the program there to give me some information...both myself and my mom are very curious... :confused: :confused:

and also...when applying to med school, since some med schools give more preference to their in state residents, since I'm in NC but from NY would I still be considered a in-state resident in NY, and would I be given a slight slight advantage if I apply to UNC Med school since I'm a student there already (I know this seems like a dumb question...I probably know the answer already in the back of my mind..)

I hope someone can ease my curiosity...thanks hehe :p

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a premed at UNC-CH and from CT. Pre-med advising at UNC is OK but its a HUGE school, you need to be very proactive in making sure you actually go see advisors and ESPECIALLY in getting your recommendation letters. It can be hard to get to know prof's but make sure you do and make sure you do it early (like starting in sophomore year). Having a hospital on campus is a big advantage, and its fairly easy to get volunteering over there. As for residency, you can choose if you want to give up your NY residency and get NC residency by switching over drivers license, living off campus, registering to vote down here, and all those things, but unless you actively do all of that you remain a NY resident (i'm applying to UCONN as a CT resident). You do get a slight advantage at UNC med school b/c you show that you have some interest in the area, but it's VERY slight, so don't come here b/c you think you're going to get into med school at UNC. Otherwise, UNC's a great school to do undergrad at and Chapel Hill is a great place to be. Let me know if you have any other quesitons.

I'm a rising senior at UNC and I'd agree with everything CTtarheel said, with the qualification that I've just decided with certainty to be a pre-med so I don't have any experience with the pre-med office. I've taken a number of the pre-med prerequisites though (just have orgo II left... yay!) and just like every other school, it all depends on which professors you choose. Some are great, most are good, some are awful. Regardless of what happens though, congrats on choosing UNC- I've had an amazing time in Chapel Hill and wouldn't trade it for anything. PM me if you have more questions; I'd be happy to answer them!

Reviving this thread.

Yay for getting into UNC! Congrats.

Right now I'm taking a summer Session I bio class with DeSaix. Thought I should tell you that you might want to think carefully about that class. She's hilarious and I like her method of teaching, but her ppts are difficult to follow and she has tests that are certainly harder than you would expect in a Bio 101 class.

Anyone have any suggestions a propos to higher-level bio and chem professors or psych professors?

Also, I heard that the hospital has a shadowing program for pre-meds. Anyone know anything about this?