Anyone here from Hungary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tzatziki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! Is anyone here at SDN studying / planning to study in Hungary? What motivates you to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi tzatziki - I'm studying first year med in Australia. I have a 4 week elective to do at the end of the year, and I'd really like to go to either Budapest or Prague. Any suggestions on suitable hospitals?

I'm attracted by the history and culture of eastern Europe, and I've never seen snow!!!

Hello Atho! The question you gave me is pretty hard to answer. Since I live in Budapest, and I really like my country, it would look nicely to suggest you to come here and spend your four weeks in Hungary. However, you should know that unfortunately our health system simply sucks - and so does the condition of most of our hospitals: it cannot be compared with the modernity you've got used to in Australia. It's a shame, but it's true.

Prague on the other hand has a better health system, but I can't give you further information, since I'm not that well-informed about the Czech Republic. IMO you should probably look around at SDN or ValueMD for threads about them.

Anyway, if you are still interested in Hungary, here are two useful links: http://www.sote.hu/english/ that is the page of the med school of Budapest, and http://www.semmelweis-english-program.org/ this is the site of the university's English program. Contact them, they'll be able to provide you with the information you are looking for.

But one thing is for sure: with some luck, you'll see snow here in Central/Eastern Europe. ;)

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me here or via pm.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply tzatziki. Yeah, a friend who went over to Budapest (for music...) said that the health system needed some help - that's why I want to go. Since I'm only in first year, its a good opportunity to experience a different health system and I hear Budapest is an awesome place!

Friends who have been to Europe in the last year has said that Budapest is great because its not as "touristy" as Prague, and to go over there before it gets too over-run. Hope I'm not too late.

The Semmelweis english website is under contruction - can you suggest someone I should contact? (I can't read Hungarian!) Do you have their e-mail address? Any help would be appreciated. I'm really keen to get over there.

Unfortunately, the burden on the Australian health system is getting bigger and bigger, and we're having some trouble here too. People just don't wanna take responsibility for their own health... But the aboriginal communities are another story altogether - they call it 4th world...

You should also visit University of Debrecen, www.dote.hu. They have a strong English Program. GL

Thanks. I'm not looking to enrol in an English program - I just want to do a 4 week elective, attached to a medical unit at one of their hospitals (the teaching hospitals will be more likely to do it...). Following docs around, hopefully learning new things! Any suggested contacts?

ATHO said:
Yeah, a friend who went over to Budapest (for music...) said that the health system needed some help

Yeah, it indeed needs some help, to put it mildly. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I pretty much understand your enthusiasm to go and do your 4 weeks practice elsewhere - I've just finished first year too, and I wanted to have my compulsory summer practice in the UK. I did not succeed unfortunately, but that's a different story. :)

Friends who have been to Europe in the last year has said that Budapest is great because its not as "touristy" as Prague, and to go over there before it gets too over-run. Hope I'm not too late.

I've never been to Prague, thus I have no idea how 'touristy' it is, but Budapest is an interesting and nice city for you to go to. I hope you'll enjoy your stay at least as much as I enjoyed Australia. ;)

The Semmelweis website is under construction, but there still are some information uploaded, browse it, you'll probably find something useful.

I was looking for e-mail addresses which might be useful for you, but I found unfortunately only one: [email protected] (and the website, as well). Your case is pretty special, I'm not sure there is a department which could answer all of your questions, you'll have to collect the answers from different people, but studyhungary.com could be a good start, even if you are not planning to study here. I suggest you to contact them, tell them your special plan and ask them to give you further information or names to contact.

You may as well call the Semmelweis university at this number: (+36 1) 459 15 00. Since we have an English program, I really hope, they will be able to communicate with you in English.

If they can't help you, let me know either here or via PM or even MSN, and I'll make a call and try to ask someone about your problem, all right?

we're having some trouble here too. People just don't wanna take responsibility for their own health... But the aboriginal communities are another story altogether - they call it 4th world...

Yeah, I can imagine it... the lack of responsibility you've mentioned is unfortunately known probably all around the world. Besides, we too have a 'community' (the gipsies) here in Hungary which is pretty hard to deal with. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Sent a heap of e-mails off to Semm. so hope I hear back from someone. Is everyone on holidays over there?

Where did you go in Australia? Unfortunately, Australia lack the history of Europe...

Thanks so much for your help!

As far as I know most of the university staff is on holiday until August 7 or so, but let's hope that the few still working will give you a quick answer, as well.
Anyway, if you don't get your answers, I'll make some calls.

I have been to Brisbane two years ago because of a physics tournament, and was really impressed by the country. You people are so different from us here in Europe... friendly and kind, with a totally different mentality. I really liked my two weeks there. :)

Thanks so much for your help!

You're welcome. Hope you'll succeed.