Anyone here from UTSA yet???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpleton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to hear from University of Texas at San Antonio for an interview and was wondering if anyone has an interview invite yet. If you do could you please say if you are a texas resident or not. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard from UTSA either at this point, but I do know folks who have. I think that today (9/10) might be their first round of interviews. So be patient, I guess.

Interview scheduled for next Mon. 9/17 and I am a TX Resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got back from my interviews there. 9/10 is the first date for interviews this year, the dean said they interview approx. 950-1000 people every year until early December.

I am NOT a TX resident by the way.

I didnt meet many of their MS1s or MS2s but their MS4s are pretty cool. They have a big nontrad class and a good percentage (30-40%?) are married.

My initial impression of UTSA is that the students there have alot of life experience, probably moreso than UTMB. The class is more nontrad than UTMB also I think.

Every year, 24 of the med students are picked from the MS2 class to spend their 3rd and 4th years at Harlingen (near South Padre). Apparently, recently they have had problems with not enough volunteers, so they have to randomly assign people. Mainly this is because a significant portion of the class is married and dont want to uproot to move elsewhere, not because they dont specifically like Harlingen or the environment they would be in. The good thing about Harlingen is that you work directly with attendings, instead of working under residents at the San Antonio locations. They have other options available in McAllen, Laredo, and Corpus Christi. Basically UTSA is responsible for providing care to all of South Texas.

The interviewers I had were very cool, much like UTMB. One of my interviewers was EXTREMELY refreshing. We just talked about life in general and the good/bad of medicine. He represented everything that was pure, good, and just about the profession.

No tricky questions, and no ethical scenarios. The interviewers seemed to purposefully keep watch of the time elapsed moreso than UTMB. They try to keep it to 30 mins as much as possible, which seemed a little tight. It goes by really fast.

The interviewers dont have your full application, they just have your essay and the bio sheet with colleges attended and stuff. No GPAs, MCATs, or extracurrics. So they wont know about your extracurrics unless you specifically mentioned them in your essay.

They give you 30 mins between interviews, which allows you more time to get to the next location compared to UTMB. It can be easy to get lost in University Hospital and the connecting med school, dental school, etc. The campus is similar to UTMB in that multiple schools are located right next to each other (i.e. med, dent, nursing, allied health, graduate).

UTSA has a very traditional curriculum, and they spend alot of hours in lecture. In fact, I think they are the national leader in the number of hours spent in lecture. Several of the med students commented on that, but didnt seem to mind too much.

They also tend to interview applicants that dont get interviews at other schools. The dean specifically commented on this, and they are definitely not a numbers type school. The class was very diverse as far as life experience, but honestly it was somewhat vanilla on ethnicity. Going in, I thought there would be a good representation of Hispanic students, but I didnt see any. One of the med students said something like 60% of all patients are Hispanic (didnt specifically comment on Spanish speaking only, but I'd imagine its a big chunk of that group).

UTSA is more oriented towards primary care compared to UTMB, but they still got good matching in some of the competitive specialties.

Thats all I can think of right now. If you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much baylor! that must have taken a while to type up.

See, this is why everyone at SDN just loves you. :)

thanks again & congrats on the Dartmouth interview. you're just rakin' them in, aren't ya?

Originally posted by praying4MD:
•Thank you very much baylor! that must have taken a while to type up.

See, this is why everyone at SDN just loves you. :)

thanks again & congrats on the Dartmouth interview. you're just rakin' them in, aren't ya?•

Well, its very possible that I wont get a single interview from here on out. I figure since my app is processed that its not like schools are waiting to interview me, they probably pretty much know right now if they want to or not.

I was wondering today at UTSA how many people in the interview groups are on SDN. One person mentioned interviewfeedback.com

I may very well have met several of you and not even known about it at the time.

i have an interview on 9/17, but im not sure im going. i have now gotten interviews a 5 tx. schools (a&m, houston, sa, utmb, tech) and 2 amcas (gw and tulane). anyway, im not as interested in tech and sa b/c of location...so my question is this:

if you interview at 3 schools (in my case houston, a&m, utmb), is a safe bet to say you'll get into one of those schools? my interviews at a&m and houston went pretty well...havent had utmb yet.

or am i being foolish by turning down interview offers? also, does it any way, shape, or form hurt they way your match selection works if you only interview at 3 schools as opposed to all of them? will tech and sa get pissed that i cancelled interviews there and notify tmdsas?

sorry for all the questions, but the whole process is still a little mysterious to me...i dont have the money to keep flying to tx. every 2 weeks, and plus, im not that interested in a couple of the schools anyway...but i want to be positive that i'll get into 1 of the 3 i interview at before i start rejecting interviews..

any suggestions/ thoughts/ speculation?

thanks... :)

Originally posted by saffron:
•i have an interview on 9/17, but im not sure im going. i have now gotten interviews a 5 tx. schools (a&m, houston, sa, utmb, tech) and 2 amcas (gw and tulane). anyway, im not as interested in tech and sa b/c of location...so my question is this:

if you interview at 3 schools (in my case houston, a&m, utmb), is a safe bet to say you'll get into one of those schools? my interviews at a&m and houston went pretty well...havent had utmb yet.

or am i being foolish by turning down interview offers? also, does it any way, shape, or form hurt they way your match selection works if you only interview at 3 schools as opposed to all of them? will tech and sa get pissed that i cancelled interviews there and notify tmdsas?

sorry for all the questions, but the whole process is still a little mysterious to me...i dont have the money to keep flying to tx. every 2 weeks, and plus, im not that interested in a couple of the schools anyway...but i want to be positive that i'll get into 1 of the 3 i interview at before i start rejecting interviews..

any suggestions/ thoughts/ speculation?

thanks... :)

I've been thinking a little about this too, not because I wouldnt go or am not interested in any of the TX locations, but because I'd really like to save some money on interviews if possible.

I doubt that UTMB or UTSA would notify TMDSAS about you not interviewing there, if they did then it would be completely uncharacteristic of the good people that I met at both locations.

As far as chances for getting in, this is a kind of black magic and its hard to pin it down to a number. I'm going to try to go to every possible interview that I get. It might be overkill but still I dont want to take any chances, after hearing horror stories of not getting accepted.