Anyone here going to Miami ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubs41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Miami and look forward to going there, however I don't know much about the city . Anyone know where I should be looking at living ?.. Coral Gables ?.. but then what about the traffic as I will have to get on the highway everyday. Do I need a car there ?.. any other alternatives ?. Any decent area to live close to the school ?. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

scrubs

Members don't see this ad.

For convenience, many students live in the Dominion Towers, which is positioned right next to the campus. But if money isn't a problem, check out Brickell, Coconut Grove, or possibly Coral Gables (although, it's not quite as close). Kendall would also be feasible (rent is cheaper, but again, further away).

Traffic congestion is usually pretty bad in Miami, so be aware of this when searching for a place. Congrats on your acceptance and good luck!!

Thank you Ibis.. do you go there ?.. is it easy to commute from any of these suburb without getting on the highway ?.. I am planning another trip down there and spend a few days there.. but wanted to get a head start. Thanks..

scrubs

Members don't see this ad :)
If you venture out to Kendall and So. Miami, be close to the metro stops. It keeps you out of the traffic and you can get off right near the campus at UM.

I graduated there in 86 as an undergrad.

The metro is great to stay out of your car. Think NY or Washington, except above ground...waaaay above ground.

I lived in Miami for two years and worked at the medical school campus. I live in coral gables and did not have to take the highway to get to campus. In the morning it would take me about 15 - 20 min to get there. As far as living in Dominion Towers, although it is closer, the neighborhood is not that safe. There is a metro stop at the campus (civic center stop) so if you live in south miami you could drive to the metro and park your car (although the parking lots fill up pretty early).
I would recomend, talking to some current students and see what they have done.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the info.. I am talking about the Miami College of Medicine, which is located downtown and not the UM main campus which I beleive is in Coral Gables... I didn't see much around the School.. so not sure where everyone lives...