anyone here got in pharmacy school w/GPA sub 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humtum

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

I was just wondering if anyone got into pharmacy school with GPA below 3.0. Maybe because they were good in other part of application, for example: work exp etc....
I will really appreciate if you can tell us about your story and may help us out.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone, I got into Pharmacy school with a cummulative GPA of 2.76. I am not proud of that, but in saying this I do realize that during my last 2 years I really buckled down and showed MUCH improvement. My PCAT as well was less than steller, but I only took it twice (comp. 68 first time and 79 second time). Of course it was only sub-par b/c of my verbal score which was horrible! :mad:

My first year out of undergraduate (Class of 2003) I applied to 4 schools and had 2 interviews but no acceptance. During this period I was working as a certified tech at CVS. I also was developing a good relationship with my undergrad Micro. prof. in order to secure a VERY GOOD rec. letter.

After graduation I worked for non-clinical animal lab. There I was able to show great leadership in getting a project leader position handling those studies that dealt with primates (fun stuff actually)! I applied again to 4 schools and had 2 interviews. I ended up with 1 acceptance and 1 wait list.

In those interviews I just made it point that I am more mature now than I was 3 years ago. I have passion for pharmacy and I am very informed about the field, which helps.

So I guess, as been said on probably 100 other posts similar to this one....if your GPA sucks, build a stronger portfolio by improving in other areas. Be versitile in your jobs, but make sure they enable you to show the adcom. that you did learn while in undergrad even though your GPA may not reflect that ;)

Hope this long winded post didnt put you to sleep (I'm on Spring Break and obviously not beach side :mad: ). Good Luck.

Me. :eek: Mine was because during the second semester of my first year of college (7 years ago), I needed a break from school due to work and family problems. So, I just stopped going to school - without formally withdrawing. At the time, I wasn't aware that I needed to do that without consequences. And believe me, I tried to retroactively withdraw but I didn't fit their criteria. :rolleyes:

Anyway, without that semester, my GPA would be approximately 3.5. My PCAT was an 84, I had excellent letters of recommendation, volunteer activities, and almost 7 years of pharmacy tech experience. Plus, I'm assuming my interview had a lot to do with it as well, since I believe that an interview can make or break you.

Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of two people that got into Western Univeristy in California with GPAs around 2.8

I got into pharmacy school with a 2.70 GPA. I am in the 6 year program.

2.65... applied to 4 schools.... got 4 interviews... 1 acceptence so far (which was my top choice!)

trickyP said:
2.65... applied to 4 schools.... got 4 interviews... 1 acceptence so far (which was my top choice!)

which school did you apply to???

Which schools did you guys sub 3.0 GPA applied to? =\

trickyP said:

thank you so much everyone for replying me. I thought I will never get in pharmacy school for rest of my life. you guys made me feel better and brought my hope back.

I am tired of worrying everday, wut I am going to do if I don't get in pharmacy school. I just hope someone gives me chance this fall.

thankx everyone. And good luck in school, hope to meet you guys one day, I know pharmacy world is not that big :)

I hate to rain on your parade....BUT...don't bank on getting into pharmacy school just because of a few isolated stories of people with below 3.0's getting in. These people are the exception...NOT the rule. Some schools will automatically reject a sub 3.0 application, without even reviewing all of your other credentials. While tech experience, volunteering, and all that stuff is important, the top things schools look at are GPA and PCAT (for schools that require it). It is in your best interest to take extra classes to raise your GPA to 3.0. You also want to post excellent scores on the PCAT. I'm not saying you can't do it without a 3.0, I just don't want you to get your hopes up too high. Schools require such GPAs for a reason. Pharmacy school is a lot harder than undergrad, and if you don't show mastery of undergrad material, you will likely drown in pharmacy school. Good luck whatever you decide to do...make sure you apply to a lot of schools.

OSURxgirl said:
Some schools will automatically reject a sub 3.0 application, without even reviewing all of your other credentials. While tech experience, volunteering, and all that stuff is important, the top things schools look at are GPA and PCAT (for schools that require it). It is in your best interest to take extra classes to raise your GPA to 3.0. You also want to post excellent scores on the PCAT. I'm not saying you can't do it without a 3.0, I just don't want you to get your hopes up too high.

This, too, is very true. I'm sure many schools are like that. I know UF is for sure.

Other key factors to consider when applying with a lower GPA are early application to schools with rolling admissions and applying to multiple schools.

OSURxgirl said:
I hate to rain on your parade....BUT...don't bank on getting into pharmacy school just because of a few isolated stories of people with below 3.0's getting in. These people are the exception...NOT the rule. Some schools will automatically reject a sub 3.0 application, without even reviewing all of your other credentials. While tech experience, volunteering, and all that stuff is important, the top things schools look at are GPA and PCAT (for schools that require it). It is in your best interest to take extra classes to raise your GPA to 3.0. You also want to post excellent scores on the PCAT. I'm not saying you can't do it without a 3.0, I just don't want you to get your hopes up too high. Schools require such GPAs for a reason. Pharmacy school is a lot harder than undergrad, and if you don't show mastery of undergrad material, you will likely drown in pharmacy school. Good luck whatever you decide to do...make sure you apply to a lot of schools.

I also agree! It shouldn't be that hard to get at least a 3.0 in undergrad. Definitely take more classes to boost your GPA.

humtum said:
hey guys

I was just wondering if anyone got into pharmacy school with GPA below 3.0. Maybe because they were good in other part of application, for example: work exp etc....
I will really appreciate if you can tell us about your story and may help us out.

Thank you

I have a 2.76 GPA, but I have alot of other credentials to work with too. I finished my BS in biology, with three years HIV research during undergrad and two years hospital pharmacy experience, plus a ton of extracurriculars and leadership positions and a 98 PCAT. If you can support yourself in ways other than GPA, then one should be able to gain admission. but if you are not accepted the first time, your MUST try again a second time. it shows persistence and determination. but also strengthen your application with experience, further education, and great recommendations. read up on current pharmacy topics in whatever interests you (I like geriatrics and gerontology, myself), and be willing to discuss it with your school of choice. Also, prepare like crazy for interviews. they are truly oral representations of yourself outside of what is on paper. you must be prepared to represent yourself and say why your grades suck like mine, but instead of saying "my grades suck", say why, and then say what the positives you did while you were not academically focused. Good times.

FutureRxGal said:
This, too, is very true. I'm sure many schools are like that. I know UF is for sure.

And for a good reason. At least 10% of each class doesn't make it through the 2nd year. As the GPAs & PCATs go up, they should be able to reduce this number. We were told during a class meeting that the students who didn't make it had lower scores (both GPA and PCAT). Good experience and LOR don't do you any good if you flunk out of school.

dgroulx said:
And for a good reason. At least 10% of each class doesn't make it through the 2nd year. As the GPAs & PCATs go up, they should be able to reduce this number. We were told during a class meeting that the students who didn't make it had lower scores (both GPA and PCAT). Good experience and LOR don't do you any good if you flunk out of school.
I completely agree! The people who are struggling now are the people who had lower GPA's and PCAT's (although I had an 82 and am doing very well...bad test taker!). You can tell the one's who did not get enough out of undergrad. On another note, if you went to an easy CC/University and breezed through your pre-reqs but didn't learn anything you'll also struggle. Everyone always says I know this is what I want to do more anything and I'll work my butt off but it's different once you're actually experiencing it. We had 2 people drop out within the first 2 months, one was b/c it was too hard and the other one was personal reasons. Good luck to all of you, but my suggestion is to retake the classes you did poorly in and actually learn (not just memorize for tests) the material. Also if you don't have a bachelor's, you should try and get one to boost your GPA and the classes will definately help! Good luck!

I've heard conlflicting views concerning the relevence of pre-req material to pharmacy school. A lot of people say that what you learn in pre-reqs has very little to do with what you learn in pharmacy school. If this is the case, why would not remembering information from pre-reqs hold you back so much in pharmacy school?

Personally, I love to learn and always try my best in any subject I'm studying, but now I'm nervous I'll for get important info.!

Thanks for any replies. :scared:

Stephie

Stephie said:
I've heard conlflicting views concerning the relevence of pre-req material to pharmacy school. A lot of people say that what you learn in pre-reqs has very little to do with what you learn in pharmacy school. If this is the case, why would not remembering information from pre-reqs hold you back so much in pharmacy school?

Personally, I love to learn and always try my best in any subject I'm studying, but now I'm nervous I'll for get important info.!

Stephie
Maybe it depends on the school that you go to. I know that at UF they don't expect to reteach you A&P so you better know your stuff!! We were expected to know quite a bit about the brain that I had never learned and so I had a lot of extra studying to do. Gen chem and physics aren't as important but the biology classes will be. You are expected to know a lot more energy pathways, catabolic/anabolic pathways on top of ones that you've learned in previous bio courses. If you have to learn the basics and then try to understand the new material then you're not going to succeed easily. Especially when you usually have more than one test in a week as well as presentations and other assignments. It's all about time management and if you have to take extra time to teach yourself something that you're already expected to know, then you're clearly not going to have enough time. Good luck.

Stephie said:

Stephie

It's not necessarily that you need to master undergraduate work to help you get through pharmacy school. It's just that if you are able to master undergrad work, then you're more likely to master pharmacy. (Does that makes sense? :laugh: )

Ask the average pharmacy student/pharmacist how to find a derivative, what bones the gluteus maximus originates and inserts onto, or if E.coli is a facultative anaerobe; they can give an educated guess. What's important is that you get the basics and general idea of each undergrad topic, what's not important are the detailed multiple choice answers on your undergrad finals.

Stephie said:

Stephie

Well, there really isn't any physics in pharmacy school. Other than that, everything else had some relevance. We use a little calculus in pharmacokinetics. As Pam said, A & P is very important. You need to know both anatomy & physiology in order to learn what comprises a disease state and then what drugs do to treat that disease state. There's a little Gen Chem - mostly acid/base problems. Organic principles are used in Med Chem. I've used my microbiology, molecular genetics and biochemistry a lot in pharmacy school. Those aren't prereqs at all schools, but it sure helps if you know it first.

Hmmm, there is some physics in kinetics. If you are good at math though, then you can pretty much get through that fairly easily.

Tuck said:
Hmmm, there is some physics in kinetics. If you are good at math though, then you can pretty much get through that fairly easily.

I'm still in my second semester of pharmacokinetics. I hated physics. What am I going to come across?

I only made a C in my first semester of kinetics, but have an A so far this semester. I don't want to blow it.