Anyone here in SDN create effective Nootropics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure many people in SDN has heard of Nootropics. Referred to as "smart drugs" and "smart nutrients", are substances which boost human cognitive abilities (the functions and capacities of the brain). Typically, nootropics are alleged to work by increasing the brain's supply of neurochemicals (neurotransmitters, enzymes, and hormones), by improving the brain's oxygen supply, or by stimulating nerve growth. Keeping the brain's neurotransmitters at high levels improves concentration, mental focus, calculation ability, memory encoding, recall, creativity, mood, and cures and prevents most depressions. So I was wondering has anyone here on SDN developed their own Nootropics which they feel is effective in their academic studies?

Members don't see this ad.

The people who take these drugs show about 25% increase in IQ (baseline IQ around 40, post-Nootropic IQ around 50).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure many people in SDN has heard of Nootropics. Referred to as "smart drugs" and "smart nutrients", are substances which boost human cognitive abilities (the functions and capacities of the brain). Typically, nootropics are alleged to work by increasing the brain's supply of neurochemicals (neurotransmitters, enzymes, and hormones), by improving the brain's oxygen supply, or by stimulating nerve growth. Keeping the brain's neurotransmitters at high levels improves concentration, mental focus, calculation ability, memory encoding, recall, creativity, mood, and cures and prevents most depressions. So I was wondering has anyone here on SDN developed their own Nootropics which they feel is effective in their academic studies?

I've never heard of Nootropics.

I typically use herbal brain supplements, vitamins, caffiene, taurine, and creatine. however, i'm not sure whether taurine and creatine really help that much.

I started taking piracetam at 3g per day along with choline citrate and l-tyrosine. I did this about the same time I began studying for the mcat, some 8 weeks ago. To be completely honest, I don't really notice much of a difference between before and now. As there aren't any side effects, however, anything helps. At the same time though, I can't say it hasn't played some role in helping me study as I just don't know. When I began studying, my diagnostic score was ~27; I just got a 41 on CBT 8 and still have 4-5 weeks before the test. Take that for what you will.

A recent study with mice showed regular excersize increased blood flow to the area of the brain responsible for information retention.

I read an interesting article in Fortune magazine about nutraceuticals and they listed both Juvenon and Choline Cocktail II as potential brain boosting supplements. I've tried Choline Cocktail and I have to say it does make a slight difference (probably due to the caffeine) in the amount of energy and focus you have.

Another interesting drug is Modafinil (spelling could be wrong) which is a anti-narcolepsy drug. Studies done at the US defense's research institute (can't think of the acronyme) showed that pilots could stay up past twenty-four hours with alertness and without a sleep deficit.

And of course, adderall, ritalin, and concerta all work well for people who have (and do not have) adhd and add. (increased concentration = good)

Finally, new alzheimers and parkinsons disease drugs have been shown to increase memory in normal folks.

-Molly

I read an interesting article in Fortune magazine about nutraceuticals and they listed both Juvenon and Choline Cocktail II as potential brain boosting supplements. I've tried Choline Cocktail and I have to say it does make a slight difference (probably due to the caffeine) in the amount of energy and focus you have.

Another interesting drug is Modafinil (spelling could be wrong) which is a anti-narcolepsy drug. Studies done at the US defense's research institute (can't think of the acronyme) showed that pilots could stay up past twenty-four hours with alertness and without a sleep deficit.

And of course, adderall, ritalin, and concerta all work well for people who have (and do not have) adhd and add. (increased concentration = good)

Finally, new alzheimers and parkinsons disease drugs have been shown to increase memory in normal folks.

-Molly

I don't think FDA-approved drugs (Provigil, Adderall, Ritalin, etc.) are in the same category as Nootrowhatevers. These have proven clinical efficacy (it's another debate about the proper use of these substances).

My brain functions in an excellent fashion without any hokey supplements, thanks.

In regards to the bit about exercise possibly improving information retention, does it still count if I play PS2 while pedaling on my exercise bike? Or does the video game induced brain rot cancel out the benefit? :laugh:

I take a cocktail of vitamin A, anabolic steriods, Special K, and creatine. It works great. I can focus for hours end!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(on my own, newly formed breasts)

First of all I do have ADHD! It was undiagnosed when I took my MCAT the first time around. After diagnosis I improved 8 points from a 30 to a 38. Without my meds I am an uncontrollable hyperactive...well me! Adderall helped to level me out and oddly enough make me less hyper (amphetamines calm me...odd). I don't think that everyone can benefit from it. The risks (e.g. addiction, cardiovascular problems, etc) are too great. If you have not been diagnosed stay away because the risks outwight the benifits. I also believe in a good multivitamin, a 3-6-9 fatty acid supplement, and a supplement at GNC called mental focus. Who knows which was the 'magic bullet' but I am not about to question my personal mix.

I started taking piracetam at 3g per day along with choline citrate and l-tyrosine. I did this about the same time I began studying for the mcat, some 8 weeks ago. To be completely honest, I don't really notice much of a difference between before and now. As there aren't any side effects, however, anything helps. At the same time though, I can't say it hasn't played some role in helping me study as I just don't know. When I began studying, my diagnostic score was ~27; I just got a 41 on CBT 8 and still have 4-5 weeks before the test. Take that for what you will.

WTF, why would you do that? Piracetam can harm your liver...modafinil does the exact same thing without being hepatoxic.

At any rate, I don't recommend anybody become a zombie just to study for the MCAT. Jesus.

I don't think FDA-approved drugs (Provigil, Adderall, Ritalin, etc.) are in the same category as Nootrowhatevers. These have proven clinical efficacy (it's another debate about the proper use of these substances).

Well, nootropics just means any drug that would boost your IQ. Although, I personally don't like the fact that amphetamines seem to make up most of the drugs in this category, lol.

And to be honest, none of these drugs actually make you smarter, they just kinda keep you at peak alertness. The real problem is that they do have side effects, so it's not exactly the greatest idea to take them all the time.

Of course, we all know some kids will abuse the crap out of adderall come test time, but whatever. In like 20 years when they're suffering the side effects of abusing adderall to stayup for 3 days straight, I'll be ok with the fact that they scored 2 points higher on the MCAT.

Show me something to the effect of Piracetam causes liver problems, and I will believe you. Until then, however, I find your comments somewhat suspect as nothing I have seen would indicate this is the case.

There are also studies showing it improves cognitive performance in sleep-deprived normal subjects. Not a ton, and not the most well-designed, but some interesting evidence.

Modafinil is routinely used off-label by trans-Pacific business travelers who need to beat the jet lag at the other end quickly. Usually paired off with one of the strong sleeping pills to make sure you get to sleep as well.

If any women reading this are tempted to use it, you should know that it apparently decreases the efficacy of hormonal birth control methods.

One of our proffs in medschool suggested rhodiola rhosea to increase concentration and stamina. He said that there were clinical studies that backed up its efficacy though I never bothered to try and find them. You can only use it for about a week and then you have to take a week off for it to work well again. Its makes you a little more zoned in and last a little longer but no amphetamine like side effects, you can sleep whenever you want to etc. Its sold at whole foods ;)

One of our proffs in medschool suggested rhodiola rhosea to increase concentration and stamina. He said that there were clinical studies that backed up its efficacy though I never bothered to try and find them. You can only use it for about a week and then you have to take a week off for it to work well again. Its makes you a little more zoned in and last a little longer but no amphetamine like side effects, you can sleep whenever you want to etc. Its sold at whole foods ;)

where can i buy Rhodiola Rosea?

also, what do you think of Herbal Brain Support :http://www.veganstore.com/vitamins-and-supplements/deva-brain-support/Page_1/152.html

i didn't pay that much when i bought it several months ago, but that's just a link i found after googling it.

where can i buy Rhodiola Rosea?

also, what do you think of Herbal Brain Support :http://www.veganstore.com/vitamins-and-supplements/deva-brain-support/Page_1/152.html

i didn't pay that much when i bought it several months ago, but that's just a link i found after googling it.

I get mine at whole foods, I'm sure you could google it and order it online too. I don't know about the other supplement you linked to, the problems with supplements is there is rarely any large clinical trials of their efficacy so you never really know what works beyond anecdotal evidence. The reason my proff reccommended rhodiola was because it actually has pretty good studies prooving efficacy. He also reccommended that we take vitC, fish oils (essential fatty acids), coenzyme Q10, magnesium and a B-complex -these are all important in mantaining important metabolic pathways. B is great for energy (there is a vitamin water with B and green tea thats a great pick me up in the late afternoon) and magnesium is great for stress and depression.