Dec 27, 2009
Status
Freshman and Sophomore year I was pretty pumped about doing the pre-med route. I always did great in school so a doctor? why not? Now in my junior year, I am becoming incredibly turned off. I wasn't informed about the process of becoming a doctor, they actual roles, money issues etc. No one told me at all, nor was I educated about other health care professions. Its just "doctor"

Studying makes me completely miserable. I know that no one really likes studying, but I hate sitting for hours reading. I cant imagine myself doing it for years, especially hearing how intense it it in med school. Don't get me wrong, i have great grades, but I somehow have been able to cram for exams, which obviously wont work.

I definitely have anxiety issues. I freak out over tests, assignments, even little quizzes. I get stressed really easily. I think I would snap.

The debt scares the hell out of me. I cant imagine if I go through med school and realize I hate it and wind up being a slave to debt. My family isnt wealthy so Id have to pay it all back.

Working long hours is also something that turns me off.

In addition, I feel like I have other interests and I cant persue them. Just in college, I have no time or the resources. Id like to know if Id be good in media or business but at my school either doesnt offer them to someone in my major or just doesnt offer it in the coming semesters.

Lastly, I'm not really too happy with my life right now. And, I honestly cant see how med school would help me with that (it would most likely hurt it)

A lot of this stuff is just "me" but im sure there are others in my situation. I'm just mad because I feel betrayed by advisers and older people who don't know a damn thing about what medicine is really like.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Just had to get it off my chest. I dont want to discourage people who believe that this is the right path for them.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take an SSRI.

Feb 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
You answered your own question. Med school obviously isn't for you because those are some MAJOR issues that you will have during the 4 years of serious studying.

Also, if you feel this way, it will show in your application and the adcoms will definitely pick up on it. I would either re-evaluate how you feel and see if you can turn it all around and give it another go or pick another profession. Sorry for being a little harsh but I didn't want to sugar coat it.

Dr Optimistic

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
You may be okay. You just need a little time to get the bigger picture. Don't apply to med school until you know what you want. It will still be there later. Try to get some good clinical volunteering and shadow a doc. You will definitely see the good, the bad, and the ugly. If you know you want to do something medical make sure you explore all the other options. There are so many allied fields that require less school and less debt. Getting burned out around the time you are at isn't that unusual. It is mature though to be able to assess the situation. Don't close any doors yet. Keep the grades up and maybe take a good break if you can. Spring break is almost here! A good vacation always helps me clear the mind.

It sounds like you are not ready for med school yet... but I don't think this means you should not consider it. Doubt is okay. You should never make any life changing situation IMO without a healthy dose of doubt. This will help you really figure out if you are right for this. I recommend regrouping, exploring other options (medical, non-medical, media, business, etc...). Think about what drew you to becoming a doc in the first place. By volunteering I think it can reinvigorate you or show you that this path would make you miserable (do that for any future job BTW). You don't want to get stuck doing something you don't want to do the rest of your life.

You are young and have time.

Nov 11, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
You may be okay. You just need a little time to get the bigger picture. Don't apply to med school until you know what you want. It will still be there later. Try to get some good clinical volunteering and shadow a doc. You will definitely see the good, the bad, and the ugly. If you know you want to do something medical make sure you explore all the other options. There are so many allied fields that require less school and less debt. Getting burned out around the time you are at isn't that unusual. It is mature though to be able to assess the situation. Don't close any doors yet. Keep the grades up and maybe take a good break if you can. Spring break is almost here! A good vacation always helps me clear the mind.

It sounds like you are not ready for med school yet... but I don't think this means you should not consider it. Doubt is okay. You should never make any life changing situation IMO without a healthy dose of doubt. This will help you really figure out if you are right for this. I recommend regrouping, exploring other options (medical, non-medical, media, business, etc...). Think about what drew you to becoming a doc in the first place. By volunteering I think it can reinvigorate you or show you that this path would make you miserable (do that for any future job BTW). You don't want to get stuck doing something you don't want to do the rest of your life.

You are young and have time.

This :thumbup:. Great advice! Also, I would recommend a year or two off after college, especially if you still feel burnt out. It's the whole "see what life is like outside of school" kick and just find what you love!! I was feeling burnt out about the same time as you during college, especially since I went five years! But I just had to keep going and finish strong and the time I took off afterwards has been awesome! I'm actually pumped to start again in August!! Although I'm sure that will change....

Feb 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Freshman and Sophomore year I was pretty pumped about doing the pre-med route. I always did great in school so a doctor? why not? Now in my junior year, I am becoming incredibly turned off. I wasn't informed about the process of becoming a doctor, they actual roles, money issues etc. No one told me at all, nor was I educated about other health care professions. Its just "doctor"

Studying makes me completely miserable. I know that no one really likes studying, but I hate sitting for hours reading. I cant imagine myself doing it for years, especially hearing how intense it it in med school. Don't get me wrong, i have great grades, but I somehow have been able to cram for exams, which obviously wont work.

I definitely have anxiety issues. I freak out over tests, assignments, even little quizzes. I get stressed really easily. I think I would snap.

The debt scares the hell out of me. I cant imagine if I go through med school and realize I hate it and wind up being a slave to debt. My family isnt wealthy so Id have to pay it all back.

Working long hours is also something that turns me off.

In addition, I feel like I have other interests and I cant persue them. Just in college, I have no time or the resources. Id like to know if Id be good in media or business but at my school either doesnt offer them to someone in my major or just doesnt offer it in the coming semesters.

Lastly, I'm not really too happy with my life right now. And, I honestly cant see how med school would help me with that (it would most likely hurt it)

A lot of this stuff is just "me" but im sure there are others in my situation. I'm just mad because I feel betrayed by advisers and older people who don't know a damn thing about what medicine is really like.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Just had to get it off my chest. I dont want to discourage people who believe that this is the right path for them.
I'm convinced you fell in love with the idea of being a doctor but now that you are realizing what it really entails you are having doubts. Its confusing because the title of your post suggests you want people to convince you to keep going foward for they have experienced similar feelings but what you said in the post seems like you already know that answer to your dilemma. My advice is if you have not already, do some shadowing or volunteering that way you get some first hand experience of what being a doctor is really like. If you do not see anything you like, you will not be the first person to ever change their mind about becoming a physician.

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Turn back now, young jedi. The path ahead gets harder. For most med students, college was the easy part.

Oh also, most med students I know don't mind the studying. Learning can be fun. You find out new things that are interesting every day. You learn new concepts that explain the world. We sit for 3-10 hours every day reading and most of us kind of enjoy it.

Sure going out to movies and drinking is more fun, but staying at home reading isn't that bad either.

morning

butane in my veins
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm convinced you fell in love with the idea of being a doctor but now that you are realizing what it really entails you are having doubts. Its confusing because the title of your post suggests you want people to convince you to keep going foward for they have experienced similar feelings but what you said in the post seems like you already know that answer to your dilemma. My advice is if you have not already, do some shadowing or volunteering that way you get some first hand experience of what being a doctor is really like. If you do not see anything you like, you will not be the first person to ever change their mind about becoming a physician.

100% agreement.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Grasshopper, choose another path.

ddogark

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
As everyone one stated above, getting to the stage of becoming a doctor is not an easy task. Also, you really have to search for the reason why medicine interests you. If "helping patients" is not in the list then DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. So, do some shadowing-first-then reevaluate your options.

Feb 27, 2010
Indiana Hawaii
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely do not do something that you lack interest in. A lot of premeds go through medical school for all the wrong reasons and yes eventually, they do snap. Some of the smartest people do the dumbest stuff. Why? because they are stressed. Stressed. The application process alone will drown you. Premeds who do it because of their parents and their pressure because of financial support are a perfect example. Get an A or you are a loser and we take away your car, allowance...whatever. Please for your own sake find something that you enjoy. If it is residency that you want to avoid, try dentistry. Also realize that it is very doable as a lot of people get through it and the rewards are excellent. Traveling around the world and helping people with a valuable skill that you possess to me is very rewarding. If it is a comfortable life that you are after, thats fine!! (although I urge you to reconsider) You just have to take your time to find what most interests you. In your lifetimeme, a year or two off to realize what you really want is nothing

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Please listen to this advice.

SHADOW A DOCTOR. Preferably, more than one. I'd suggest shadowing a primary care doctor and an ER doctor at the very least. Please please do this before making a decision either way. I think it's the best route to find out if medicine is what you want to do. Don't spend all this time worrying and agonizing over your career before you spend some real time in a clinical setting.

girlofgrace7

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I agree with the above comments: if you haven't already, shadow and/or volunteer. Personally, I hated shadowing. I felt useless and in the way. However, I loved when I volunteered or did clinical research in the hospital.
I think what you're going through is pretty normal for a pre-med. In my experience, everyone asks themselves (sometimes as often as once a week during particularly stressful semesters) if this is all worth it. You need to decide now if you deem it worthwhile bc the application process will bring all of those feelings to the forefront. I have been sure for many years that I wanted to be a doctor and was not naive in my view of the field, but when you're trying to balance school with volunteering/research/E.C.s/etc. and are trying to get out secondary applications, you start to question whether you can keep at it and whether you have what it takes to succeed. Ask yourself what really makes the stress and effort worth it... if your answer is "nothing" or something like money/prestige, you need to rethink your career options.

Feb 14, 2010
Bowling Green
Status
Pre-Medical
Take an SSRI.
Woah now. First, This type of depression sounds environmental, the OP is merely reacting to the situation in his life currently, this is a natural response. The only therapy for him is to change his life if he's truly unhappy, throwing drugs at him will do nothing to his betterment.

Second, the efficacy of SSRIs for depression is highly debated. The study linked below is a meta-analysis of published and unpublished studies on the efficacy of SSRIs and stated that even though there is clinical significance in SSRIs, it only beats placebo for the most severe cases of depression.

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045

However, more research needs to be conducted that addresses whether the efficacy of SSRIs treats the symptoms of depression.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I started college as premed for similar reasons. By the middle of sophomore year, I was miserable. My friends were enjoying and "experiencing" college life and I was stuck in lab all afternoon and studying orgo all night.

So I stopped, became a history major and had a tremendous college experience!!!

After college, I went overseas and worked in a rural hospital in Asia. Came back, postbacc, mcat, med school.

AND I LOVE MED SCHOOL and cannot wait to practice medicine!! It is exactly how I want to spend my career.

And yes, I study all the time (Step I in two months). But I don't really mind because I want to learn the stuff. It is actually interesting and relevant to my future!!!

So, my advice is to take a breath, back off, and see how you feel later. Enjoy college.

(BTW, it wouldn't hurt to get good grades while you "find yourself.")

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Woah now. First, This type of depression sounds environmental, the OP is merely reacting to the situation in his life currently, this is a natural response. The only therapy for him is to change his life if he's truly unhappy, throwing drugs at him will do nothing to his betterment.

Second, the efficacy of SSRIs for depression is highly debated. The study linked below is a meta-analysis of published and unpublished studies on the efficacy of SSRIs and stated that even though there is clinical significance in SSRIs, it only beats placebo for the most severe cases of depression.

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045

However, more research needs to be conducted that addresses whether the efficacy of SSRIs treats the symptoms of depression.
Seriously, how dense are you?

vandyfootball

Removed
Feb 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Well I mean you worked hard for the past couple of years (you were able to do well in school), might as well continue until you get your MD.