anyone here Nuclear Medicine Technologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humtum

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

What do you guys think about Nuclear Medicine Technology. I am thinking of doing that as my second choice. I want to do pharmacy, but If I do not get into pharmacy school that is my back up plan.

thankx for any reply

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the detailed and meticoulous mind set to do pharm (and are ok at math), you may want to consider medical physics (i was a pharm major and am now getting my ms in medical physics). It is on the same pay scale as pharm(~80k start, max ~150K), which is ~2X nuc med tech salary. And you get to have minions (rad and nuc med techs) to do your bidding. But then again, you are the dr's bitch. There is much more room to grow as a med phys in comparison to nuc med tech. the following is a decent link on the description of what they do:

http://www.cancercare.mb.ca/MedPhysics/mp_career.shtml

I think Being Physicist is harder than the chemistry it takes to becoming a Pharmacist. Chemistry and Physics or quite different despite their similar approaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
J Lucas said:
I think Being Physicist is harder than the chemistry it takes to becoming a Pharmacist. Chemistry and Physics or quite different despite their similar approaches.

I think the subjects of physics and chemistry are about the same difficulty level. However, I think the approach to each subject has difference. With physics, one has to memorize a lesser amount of information, but you have to apply and manipulate that knowledge to varied circumstances. With chemisty, you have more memorization and less application. (IMO) Yet, both subjects and both jobs require attention to detail.

In medical physics one needs a stronger foundation in math (Calc I - Diff Eq) when compared to pharmacy (I think upto Calc II is required at most school, but you don't need it to do a phamacist's job).

I mentioned med phys b/c that person was considering nuc med tech, but may have the apitude to be a pharmacist. If the person is capable of being a pharmacist, they should be capable of becoming a medical physicist, if they are also good at math. I also think medical physicsist is a more interesting job in comparison to retail pharmacy. A somewhat sloppy analogy to the jobs is

medical physicist::nuc med tech (or x-ray tech or rad therapy tech)
pharmacist:: pharm tech

The difference between a pharm tech an a nuc med tech, in the sense of this analogy, is that a nuc med tech makes ~50k/yr and does more clinical work.