SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

anyone here retook orgo, still got in on first try

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by scrubswannabe, May 27, 2008.

1. scrubswannabe

scrubswannabe Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Has anyone here retook orgo (either term 1 or 2) after getting like a C- or D
    and then on second attempt lets say you got an A- or B+

I know its possible, obviously
    I just want to know if theres definitely people out there that got into A US allopathic school (after 4 years of college) even after doing poorly in orgo and having to retake it

basically I'm just worried I ruined my chances drastically this year and would love to hear from people that have been in my situation.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. scrubswannabe

scrubswannabe Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2006
    i hope the lack of responses isnt my answer...
    theres gotta be someone
  4. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more 5+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2007
  5. medisaur

medisaur 2+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Many people I know, including myself, had to retake either orgo I or II (II for me). At the time I was worried too so I spoke to my advisor. He made told me I would have a tough time and I wound up in tears. Two years later, I withdrew multiple acceptances and will be matriculating in August. One W is nothing as long as there isn't a downward spiral after that.
  6. cpants

cpants Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Took a W the first time. Ended up with 2 A's in Orgo over the summer at my state school. It was never even mentioned on my interviews or anything. If I were you I would take a W if you are looking at a C- or a D. If you can manage a B you are fine.
  7. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

got a D in second semester organic. retook it last summer while i was applying and got an A.

i got asked about it at interviews, but i don't think it was that big of a problem considering the amount of invites i received.
  8. MWK

MWK Over-represented majority 2+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Lexington KY
    O1: B (didnt learn ANYTHING)
    O2: W (knew nothing, had like a 40% in there, which was a C)
    summer: retook O1: 97%
    Fall: 'took for the first time' O2, 95% (highest in class).

Was never asked about it. They saw that I got my life in line and went from a 3.3 first two years to a 4.0 and OChem fit into the trend.

My advice is that if you're doing bad, DROP the class and retake. a W is INFINITELY better than a C
  9. st0w

st0w plasticperineum syndrome 10+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Orgo I: C-
    Orgo II: D
    Orgo I Lab: F (long story)
    Orgo II Lab: F

Retook them all, got all A's, was invited to TA Lab and had my lab prof write one of my LORs.

Was accepted to a number of places this cycle and waitlisted at two of the Ivies. It definitely can happen, but my story is far from traditional/typical. Also keep in mind that while I was successful with those awful grades (for which I did have an explanation, albeit not a "good" one), I was explicitly told by several schools that those grades alone kept me from interviews/acceptances.
  10. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman 5+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2007
    I got a C, never retook, and still got in.
  11. bioteach

bioteach MSIV 7+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    W in Organic I the first time. A- second time. B in Organic II. Into a med school on first attempt.
  12. mellsworth21

mellsworth21 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Wooster, Ohio.
    Many successful applicants have repeated a class. I'm retaking one right now. (Yay for 8 am summer school!)