1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

anyone here retook orgo, still got in on first try

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by scrubswannabe, May 27, 2008.

1. scrubswannabe

scrubswannabe Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone here retook orgo (either term 1 or 2) after getting like a C- or D
    and then on second attempt lets say you got an A- or B+

I know its possible, obviously
    I just want to know if theres definitely people out there that got into A US allopathic school (after 4 years of college) even after doing poorly in orgo and having to retake it

basically I'm just worried I ruined my chances drastically this year and would love to hear from people that have been in my situation.

2. OP
    OP
    scrubswannabe

scrubswannabe Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i hope the lack of responses isnt my answer...
    theres gotta be someone

3. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. medisaur

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Many people I know, including myself, had to retake either orgo I or II (II for me). At the time I was worried too so I spoke to my advisor. He made told me I would have a tough time and I wound up in tears. Two years later, I withdrew multiple acceptances and will be matriculating in August. One W is nothing as long as there isn't a downward spiral after that.

5. cpants

cpants Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Took a W the first time. Ended up with 2 A's in Orgo over the summer at my state school. It was never even mentioned on my interviews or anything. If I were you I would take a W if you are looking at a C- or a D. If you can manage a B you are fine.

6. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    got a D in second semester organic. retook it last summer while i was applying and got an A.

i got asked about it at interviews, but i don't think it was that big of a problem considering the amount of invites i received.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MWK

MWK Over-represented majority
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    O1: B (didnt learn ANYTHING)
    O2: W (knew nothing, had like a 40% in there, which was a C)
    summer: retook O1: 97%
    Fall: 'took for the first time' O2, 95% (highest in class).

Was never asked about it. They saw that I got my life in line and went from a 3.3 first two years to a 4.0 and OChem fit into the trend.

My advice is that if you're doing bad, DROP the class and retake. a W is INFINITELY better than a C

8. st0w

st0w plasticperineum syndrome
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Orgo I: C-
    Orgo II: D
    Orgo I Lab: F (long story)
    Orgo II Lab: F

Retook them all, got all A's, was invited to TA Lab and had my lab prof write one of my LORs.

Was accepted to a number of places this cycle and waitlisted at two of the Ivies. It definitely can happen, but my story is far from traditional/typical. Also keep in mind that while I was successful with those awful grades (for which I did have an explanation, albeit not a "good" one), I was explicitly told by several schools that those grades alone kept me from interviews/acceptances.

9. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got a C, never retook, and still got in.

10. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    W in Organic I the first time. A- second time. B in Organic II. Into a med school on first attempt.

11. mellsworth21

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Many successful applicants have repeated a class. I'm retaking one right now. (Yay for 8 am summer school!)