Anyone Here Who Studied for the MCAT over 6 Months and Had Success?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrayArea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Was wondering if there was anyone who studied for about 6 months and could share their experience/strategies with me. Were you happy with your results? Did you still end up studying hard core during the last couple of months or did you stick with a schedule that spread the hours of study over the months?

Would appreciate different perspectives. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied little by little for ~4 months (during school and volunteering). and classes ended on Jun 10 for me so been studying a lot since.

IMO the best studying you can do is 4 months straight with no distractions. 4-6 month full-time MCAT will most likely get you a decent score, at the very least. (well, depending on CARS performance since that's always a crap shoot)

I studied little by little for ~4 months (during school and volunteering). and classes ended on Jun 10 for me so been studying a lot since.

IMO the best studying you can do is 4 months straight with no distractions. 4-6 month full-time MCAT will most likely get you a decent score, at the very least. (well, depending on CARS performance since that's always a crap shoot)

Did you have a strict study schedule?

Yes, I need to find a way to build my CARS skills in 6 months. I was going to take the MCAT in a couple of months, but realistically, I do not think I can become an excellent analytical and comprehensive reader in that time frame. CARS is my biggest hurdle.

Did you have a strict study schedule?

Yes, I need to find a way to build my CARS skills in 6 months. I was going to take the MCAT in a couple of months, but realistically, I do not think I can become an excellent analytical and comprehensive reader in that time frame. CARS is my biggest hurdle.

yeah i would study ~2 hours every day and I wouldn't study for mcat 3-4 days before a midterm or a week before finals

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up studying for about 9 months, but this is because I had originally scheduled my exam for this January and ended up moving it to May. I had to go back and review some of the concepts that I studied earlier in the process. I agree that 4-6 months is best in order to retain us much info as possible before the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up studying for about 9 months, but this is because I had originally scheduled my exam for this January and ended up moving it to May. I had to go back and review some of the concepts that I studied earlier in the process. I agree that 4-6 months is best in order to retain us much info as possible before the exam.

How did you do? If you do not mind me asking.

My best has been a 123. How did you study for CARS?
I've only taken two ns fl and percentage correct on CARS has been 60-65%.
It's my fault, I didn't really practice CARS at all. I have one month left and going to be doing 5-10 passages daily till my exam.

How did you do? If you do not mind me asking.

I did a total of 9 practice exams in a period of 2 months leading up to the MCAT. Scores were anywhere from 500-517. CARS was always between 125 and 126. My actual MCAT score was 517 (129/127/132/129). When I realized that my CARS score wasn't changing and I was always running out of time, I began giving each passage 10 minutes and moving on no matter what. I have to admit I did little to prepare for this section, and my score reflects it.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a total of 9 practice exams in a period of 2 months leading up to the MCAT. Scores were anywhere from 500-517. CARS was always between 125 and 126. My actual MCAT score was 517 (129/127/132/129). When I realized that my CARS score wasn't changing and I was always running out of time, I began giving each passage 10 minutes and moving on no matter what. I have to admit I did little to prepare for this section, and my score reflects it.

That is a great score. After you moved your exam, how much time did you "take off" before studying again? And how long did you study for after deciding to move it?

That is a great score. After you moved your exam, how much time did you "take off" before studying again? And how long did you study for after deciding to move it?

Thanks! I didn't take a break. I just continued studying to 3 hours a day, and then began to focus more on practice exams in the last two months.

Hello!

Was wondering if there was anyone who studied for about 6 months and could share their experience/strategies with me. Were you happy with your results? Did you still end up studying hard core during the last couple of months or did you stick with a schedule that spread the hours of study over the months?

Would appreciate different perspectives. Thanks.

Honestly a focused hardcore 3-4 months of studying is much better than 6+ months of casual studying. You will be able to answer questions on reflex.

Do you really think a tutor is necessary for CARS?

I scored a 124 in CARS. Looking back I would have definitely been willing to work with a tutor if I could greatly increase my chances of a 127+.

Honestly at a low CARS you can make some basic strategy changes and see significant improvements to reach the 127 range (beyond that is exponentially harder). Having a tutor to identify what those changes are would be a great help.

Did you take any practice exams before deciding to move the exam to May?

At that point (~ Oct/Nov last year), I had not taken any exams. I had spoken with an Adcom about my situation as an future applicant and rescheduling was one of the pieces of advice I was given. After I thought about it for a while, it made sense. I may have been able to pull of a 508 at that point if I was really lucky, but with my 3.3 cGPA, a 508 wouldn't put me in a good position. I'm glad I gave myself more time. I think taking all the practice exams were what helped me the most.

Last edited: