1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone in a Philly med school?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Tiki, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Tiki

Tiki Girl named after a Giant
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know if I should be posting this here, but I don't know where it belongs. I'm in the RWJ Camden program and I'm going to be moving into the Philly or South Jersey area. I was just wondering if anyone who lives in Philly can tell me where the ok areas are to live. I've been told that Center City is pretty safe, but what about other areas of Philly? Is there anywhere I should not live?

Thanks to anyone who has any info. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    North Philly (near the Temple U campus) is not the nicest of neighborhoods. And you probably wouldn't want to go too far west of the Penn campus in west philly. Then again, coming from Camden, NJ (at one time famous for the highest per capita crack cocaine use) I don't think there is anyplace in Philly that will look too bad to you. j/k :)

4. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in the Bala Cynwood area (near PCOM) on City Ave (route 1) about a mile down the road from St. Joes....its not too bad of an area....not completely suburban..but definitely not urban......very happy living here so far....there are a lot of Penn/Temple people living around here and in other nearby areas such as Roxborough and Manayunk...

5. amyliz

amyliz Member
    5+ Year Member

Center city is a great place to live if you don't mind paying a little more than you would in South Philly or some other areas of the city...but even then it's still cheaper than a lot of cities. I live in Center City and love it- feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

6. Tiki

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks, ya'll. :)

7. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I imagine it'd be much cheaper for you to live in South Jersey as opposed to Philly. Camden, not so nice, but Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton are all next door making it easy access to Camden without crossing the bridge (I assume you'll be at Cooper). These are all really nice areas too.

I suggest you contact your osteopathic sister school for some more info!

8. blkkd

blkkd Electrically relaxing
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Alden Park apartments might be a little far for you...1000 rent, nice place with an indoor pool, gym, tennis courts, gated lots, visitor parking and when I lived there it seemed like half of the drexel med. class lived there...

9. hwong14

hwong14 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

The rest of East Falls is nice as well. Relatively safe, right by Drexel Med, and Drexel runs a shuttle into Center City.

10. Tiki

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What about Germantown? I've been noticing that the rent is considerably cheaper there, which might not be a good thing. :)

Thanks again for your replies. And Doctor Jay, I'm not ruling out living in southern Jersey, but I kind of want to try living in a city. I never have, and I just think it would be a nice change.

11. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A big part of the answer has to do with how you're going to be getting to class every day. Is the med school campus accessable by PATCO and/or busses (which ones?)? Or, do you need a car or not want to take PATCO/busses from Philly? Are you going to try to own a car even if you commute?

If you are going by PATCO train, you'll be limited to the areas by where it stops in Philly (roughly center city Broad St. areas to the Delaware river). If you are going by car, I would recommend NOT going to western areas of the city like Germantown/Roxborough/Manayunk/others which will make your commute a nightmare as you fight the commuter traffic going into center city Philly.

12. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can appreciate that, just make sure to look around, Philly's pretty expensive and it can be a pain getting over the bridges with the massive traffic. Good luck with your search!

-J

13. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    An excellent point. If you are going to commute by car I would probably recommend just living in Jersey and coming into Philly for fun when you want to. But, I hate commuting anywhere by car more than about 15 minutes each way and would do just about anything to avoid it, so this shows my bias. As for pretty expensive, this is true. Anywhere you live in the nice/fun parts of the city is going to be too expensive for you to own a car as well unless you're somehow loaded.

14. Tiki

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks, guys. I know I can go into Philly for fun, but I'm thinking I'm not going to have much free time during 3rd year. :) I guess I'll probably end up in South Jersey. It's probably better anyway, considering I'm a Giants fan and I'd probably get beat up by the Eagles fans.

Jay, how is the Stratford area? Is that an ok place to live?

15. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The medical school (UMDNJ-SOM) IS Stratford. It's like 1 square mile. So look into the surrounding areas. Stay away from Camden but look at areas close by. Haddonfield is really nice but I'm not sure of any apartment/rental places around there. But, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, and Marlton are all very nice and not too far from Cooper. Of course there are other places closer but I'm only speaking from my experience from living here.

I'm not sure how long you plan on being down here (3rd and 4th year or just a couple rotations?) but another option is to rent with some of our students who have condos/townhouses in the area. Your best bet is to contact SOM student affairs for some more info on housing, they have a huge list for incoming students and that might help you out if you narrow it down to areas closer to Cooper.

16. EastCoaster78

EastCoaster78 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thats the osteopathic school thats in stratford.

RWJ is in camden.

I think the other poster had a great idea of living by the patco, the train stops about 2 blocks from Cooper/UMDNJ and runs ~ every 15 mins. live in the city and take the train, no need for a car.

17. mmmcheesesteak

mmmcheesesteak Junior Member

Do not live in Germantown! That place is like hell on earth, no offense to anyone. It's gets a little sketchy a couple of blocks West of UPenn as well. You should be good anywhere else. The public transit system is not that developed in philly so you might need a car the further you live from where you need to be.