1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

anyone in allied health before Med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Geoff Gruenewalt, Mar 23, 1999.

1. Geoff Gruenewalt

Geoff Gruenewalt Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would like to know if being in allied health, such as an EMT, bolsters one's application to Med school. A doctor has told me that it actually hurts because people in allied health professions have developed negative stereotypes about physicians which unconciously come accross in the interview phase.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I respectfully disagree with that physician. I think it depends on the individual but for most, it can only help. Why? It shows that you've experienced healthcare as a provider and that you know what you're getting yourself into. True, being an EMT is nothing like being a physician but it shows that you've had experience in treating patients. If you went and worked in healthcare and lose interest in it, then becoming a physician is the wrong choice. I worked for two and a half years as an EMT and it only strengthened my desire to become a doc. It also helps if you like whatever allied health profession you choose. I absolutely loved working EMS. You might also gain an idea of what it's like to be a doc. True, lots of hospital staff treat EMS like crap so it is understandable if someone develops ill feelings towards docs. This is the wrong reaction in my opinion, IF you are still going into medicine. Just make a vow that when you become a doc, that you don't do the same. EMS is a vital aspect of healthcare and should be respected for what they do. That's one of the vows I made to myself through my work as an EMT.

4. Biscuit799

7+ Year Member

5. Ylime

Ylime Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Wow, 1999, that's the oldest thread I've ever seen bumped.

6. getunconcsious

getunconcsious Very tired PGY1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :eek: I was a sophomore in high school when this thread was written! But yea, I think allied health stuff can only help, I worked as a phlebotomist for a bit and I think it helped me.

7. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am an Occupational Therapist; I went to 8 interviews and got in at 8 schools. No trouble with allied health here...

dc