Anyone in Portland, Oregon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am starting my away rotation at OHSU anesthesiology this monday!

Boy...Portland is gorgeous...I can't emphasize this enough. Tall giant pine trees with moss growing on them...rose garden in full bloom with melodies from a harp player in the background...vibrant metropolitan city yet friendly people....microbrews full of colors with friendly bartenders....the air is fresh here...progressive minds...everyone recycles & take care of the environment...organic foods....ocean and mountains are an hour away....spending hours reading and getting lost in Powell's bookstore (this is not a B&N folks, this place have books to the ceiling and covers about 4 street blocks).... Is this UTOPIA?? gosh..it is pretty darn close.....

I have no friends of family here in Portland. This is the first time in my life in the Portland ...yet I feel like home..a sense of serenity and tranquility... For now it is just me with a backpack, sketch book and a tiny laptop. Felt a lot like when I was backpacking the country side and cities in europe. Staying in a tiny cozy room at a guesthouse in NW portland ABC district.

Would love to get to know some of you guys who are in Portland. Coffee? Quick Bite or Brew? Shoot me a PM!:woot:

I am getting off the computer now since there are so many things to do out here in Portland. Will be missing in action for a while.

some of the pictures so far:
n607925_35919411_6732.jpg

n607925_35919418_9668.jpg

n607925_35919447_2797.jpg

n607925_35919449_3758.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have fun! Though in Maine I've been up there a few times. If you get the chance you should make time to bounce around some of the McMenamins' pubs scattered all over the place. Just amazing in that they refurbed buildings into eatery/pubs with incredible character; Bagdad Theater, Kennedy School (where you have to check out the 'honors' and 'detention' bar-rooms!), Barley Mill, there's tons of 'em!

And check out the Rose Gardens and Mt Tabor Park for trails. A very livable place, you are very fortunate to visit. Congrats!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
drove through the pacific northwest last november with family headed to seattle and stopped by portland. the whole place was incredibly beautiful with pine trees larger than telephone poles and mt. hood nearby.

Portland is a great city. Grew up in the Northwest, had been there several times, and just finished a month long anesthesia rotation there last month. You will truly enjoy your experience there, trust me.

If you like wine you might tour some vineyards in the valleys.

lfesiam, how is your away at OHSU going?

One word: perfect.

I may be biased but I'm really loving Oregon.

This program is on the way to be the best in the country if not already is number one.

The pd works harder than anyone here. I get the feeling that the attendings work just as hard as the residents. Great supportive atmosphere. Residents are friendly happy and laid back. One res extubated the pt just as the drape was pull down....!!!! (Talking about style ...) Academic research is very strong here!! A recent NIH grant for added research training track! Critical care is five stars.

I strongly recommend the away rotation. You will get your hands dirty! Intubated a grade 3-4 500lbs the other day! Push drugs, prep med, regional, pain, plenty of lines and iv practices, u name it. Organized lectures and grand rounds.

Two weeks left! Will fly back to interview in December! I will really miss my time here in Portland.

Last edited:
Nice, glad you are having a good time over there. Do they have you at OHSU or do they have you at another hospital? I don't know how they distribute their medical students.
Did you have an anesthesiology rotation at your home hospital?

Nice, glad you are having a good time over there. Do they have you at OHSU or do they have you at another hospital? I don't know how they distribute their medical students.
Did you have an anesthesiology rotation at your home hospital?

At first, assigned to ob anesthesia due to lack of space, but was place in general anethesia by staff week prior rotation.

I am working at the mothership. Schedule is a week at main OR, a week at va, week of peds, week doing blocks and pain. Great design. Was not sent out to any other hospital that I have to commute to. I am the only away student in a group of eight.

Oklahoma also has an awesome Anes rotation. Done general, month of peds, Anes research , ob anes night shifts ... prior to my visit.

I would do your home rotation first before doing an away. In a way it is an audition rotation...

Last edited:
At first, assigned to ob anesthesia due to lack of space, but was place in general anethesia by staff week prior rotation.

I am working at the mothership. Schedule is a week at main OR, a week at va, week of peds, week doing blocks and pain. Great design. Was not sent out to any other hospital that I have to commute to. I am the only away student in a group of eight.

Oklahoma also has an awesome Anes rotation. Done general, month of peds, Anes research , ob anes night shifts ... prior to my visit.

I would do your home rotation first before doing an away. In a way it is an audition rotation...

We (mcw) have a month-long anesthesiology rotation 3rd year during which we can work at our children's, VA, main, or some peripheral-type hospitals. I'm working with (being tolerated by) a private group of anesthesiologists at a private hospital. No residents and no other med students. I take a heavy load of pimping on pharmacology, physiology, Ducatis, BMWs, and triathalon training.

It sounds like most schools only have 1 or 2 weeks thrown in somewhere during 3rd year so we're pretty fortunate. Does OHSU have a 3rd year anesthesiology rotation or is the 4th year elective the first exposure?

edit: looked it up: OHSU has anesthesiology as a surgery sub-specialty "selective" during 4th year.

Last edited: