Anyone interested in income by specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmberE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out this site and tell me what you think.

It shows jobs by specialty and state so you can see what people are actually starting out at. Its not like salary.com, this site is real jobs being offered right now and some of the benefits you will get. Some but not all say the salary and potential. Here it is

http://www.physemp.com/physician_jobs/all_physician_jobs.html

By brother is a Radiologist and knows about many of the jobs being offered as he not too long ago finished his residency and finally has a REAL job!!!

This site helps my husband and I to keep up the motivation becasue in the end it pays off and is well worth it!!

Amber

Members don't see this ad.

Good site.

I like looking towards the end of the NEJM.

On the job listings, I found very few cases where it showed the starting salary. Am I looking in the wrong place? I see few amounts of postings on salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I check out the sight and not a single salary for an Ortho surgeon. What gives? Is it one of those deals where you have to call or interview to discuss money? In that case, I'll just go on Monster.com or something.

At least it has alot of info for Radiology, but alot of the other sections are lacking income stats. Not saying money is everything, but 500+ after a year is very interesting.

Originally posted by Alexander99
Yeah. I check out the sight and not a single salary for an Ortho surgeon. What gives? Is it one of those deals where you have to call or interview to discuss money? In that case, I'll just go on Monster.com or something.

Sorry if I implied that all the specialties list the income. Only some do but they do tell you about the benefit package they offer. Its a bonus if they tell you the income. You have to call or e-mail for the additional info.

I just thought some people would like to see some hard facts.

there are a lot of salary postings for ortho's on that site. I noticed that they ranged from $250,000 to $700,000:eek:

I found this link from another thread. It posts reported income levels by speciality 1-2 years out, >3 years out and the max reported.

Ahhh johnny! You beat me! no fair! :confused:

;)

u didnt even include a disclaimer!!

:hardy:

I would much rather look at site which contain actual jobs (like the OP's link), rather then sites that list average salaries.

why do radiologists make so much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gee looking at the numbers, it's no wonder most people want to specialize.

Originally posted by camstah
why do radiologists make so much?

It is just how it is. No not really, but I do remember there being a post on this subject a couple months ago. It may have been a different forum though. Well once I get in, and then finish, it is going to be very hard to not pick a speciality that is not so lucrative such as Radiology. These dudes are making 500k+, and also getting 12 weeks of vacation on their second year. That is F***ing amazing.

Looking at the actual job postings it seems that many practices/hospitals pay for malpractice. Is this fairly common?

Originally posted by bokermmk
Looking at the actual job postings it seems that many practices/hospitals pay for malpractice. Is this fairly common?

My brother is a Rad and he will pay 15,000 his second year and if he stays for the 3rd it goes up to 40,000 a year. The hospital he works for does not pay for malpractice but I think that some do but probaly pay you less and give you that benefit.

OK, call me stupid but I serioulsy had no clue that doctors made that much money! All I hear anyone say about doctors anymore is, "they don't make what they used to".

I mean I figured about $90-$100K or so, but nothing like some of those dudes are making. Makes the $20K a year we live on now (plus 2 kids!) seem even worse than it is.....lol

Are you sure all those figures are accurate? How does malpractive figure into all of this. I remember talking with an OB/GYN online once and she said the cost of malpractice for her in her practive is so extreme that her and her husband hardly make ends meet :(

MamaMD

Doctors dont like to say how much they really make. I know first hand because its my brother and he just started less than a year ago. If you specialize it seems like your income doubles or ever more.

Originally posted by mamaMD
OK, call me stupid but I serioulsy had no clue that doctors made that much money! All I hear anyone say about doctors anymore is, "they don't make what they used to".

I mean I figured about $90-$100K or so, but nothing like some of those dudes are making. Makes the $20K a year we live on now (plus 2 kids!) seem even worse than it is.....lol

Are you sure all those figures are accurate? How does malpractive figure into all of this. I remember talking with an OB/GYN online once and she said the cost of malpractice for her in her practive is so extreme that her and her husband hardly make ends meet :(

MamaMD

Let me just tell you, for apx. $100k gross income, we have a 1600 sq. ft. 3 br, 2 bath 10 yr old house in a semi-decent neighborhood, a 2002 Tahoe, and a 2002 Honda Accord. After daycare ($800.00/mo) for 2 kids, insurance, a couple credit cards, student loan pmts, and food, we barely have enough for gas and such. (And we are fairly tight w/ our money, don't buy expensive clothes, clip coupons, cook at home or eat McDonalds every once in a while)

You think you can live a $500k house next to the country club, own 3 or 4 brand new 70-80k vehicles, have a 100k porsche in the garage, a couple boats, an airplane and a garage full of motorcycles for 90 or 100k???

No way.

My friends dad is an ENT here and has all of the above, and a bunch of change left over, and he's pulling in about 350k/yr.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for what we have, but people who don't make 100k/yr, don't realize that it's not as much as it seems. Sure it gets you an okay house, and a couple of decent vehicles that aren't going to break down on you all the time. But lots of toys that the docs have? Negative.

I know its not all about money, but lets face it, if doctors didn't make as much as they do, then nobody would sacrafice 10-15 years of their lives. You have to love what you do but the money has to be there also. The nice thing is that you will always have a job. They only let so many people into med school. THere are way many more qualified physicians then there are spots to get into med school. So when you do finally make it in, you will always have a pretty secure job, as much as can be anyways.

Originally posted by mamaMD

Are you sure all those figures are accurate?

MamaMD

Coming from a family of physicians, I will attest that those numbers are about right. Like above poster said, $100k is not much. You can expect to make that little if you're in primary care/peds (and even then, on the low end), but most doctors make substantially more.

Originally posted by oudoc08
Let me just tell you, for apx. $100k gross income, we have a 1600 sq. ft. 3 br, 2 bath 10 yr old house in a semi-decent neighborhood, a 2002 Tahoe, and a 2002 Honda Accord. After daycare ($800.00/mo) for 2 kids, insurance, a couple credit cards, student loan pmts, and food, we barely have enough for gas and such. (And we are fairly tight w/ our money, don't buy expensive clothes, clip coupons, cook at home or eat McDonalds every once in a while)

You think you can live a $500k house next to the country club, own 3 or 4 brand new 70-80k vehicles, have a 100k porsche in the garage, a couple boats, an airplane and a garage full of motorcycles for 90 or 100k???

No way.

My friends dad is an ENT here and has all of the above, and a bunch of change left over, and he's pulling in about 350k/yr.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for what we have, but people who don't make 100k/yr, don't realize that it's not as much as it seems. Sure it gets you an okay house, and a couple of decent vehicles that aren't going to break down on you all the time. But lots of toys that the docs have? Negative.

I live in Oklahoma City as well :)

Anyways, my dad made $100K a year growing up (he was an Admiral in the Navy) so I know what it's like to have that much money, I never considered us rich whatsoever, we never even lived in a "fancy" house but we always had nice things, private schools, etc.

I'm think you took my post the wrong way or something, I never said $100K was a lot of money and I don't know why you are talking about porshes and stuff...lol, I said I though docs made about $90-$100K but not a whole lot more than that and the one OBGYN I did talk to who made more than $100K said her and her husband had problems meetings all their bills, etc and it kinda scared me.

I dont know any doctor's really who I would consider "rich" so that is why I was asking where does malpractice insurance and other expenses come into play..... because I see the salary amounts listed on that website but I don't see it in real life (but it's not like a know a whole ton of doctors either).

It just simply surprised me to see some of the salaries listed I guess.

MamaMD

Actually live in Muskogee right now, but are getting things ready to relocate to OKC area, prob. Norman. Took our first proactive step, and took a Uhaul trailer load to storage in OKC yesterday. Now just have to find kids daycare, buy house, sell house, wife job, etc. etc. etc.

Fun.

Originally posted by oudoc08
Actually live in Muskogee right now, but are getting things ready to relocate to OKC area, prob. Norman. Took our first proactive step, and took a Uhaul trailer load to storage in OKC yesterday. Now just have to find kids daycare, buy house, sell house, wife job, etc. etc. etc.

Fun.

Oh Norman is one of my fav cities here, we are thinking about moving down there this summer because I will be transfering to OU in the fall. Maybe you already know this but there are some really good daycares in Norman (OU has one, but it has a waitlist but is not very expensive), also I have some friend's who use GingerBread House, it is a *great* program, there are a few others as well.

I live in SW OKC, there are a lot of nice houses around here too going up for sale for the spring so your moving at a good time.

Anyways, good luck with the move :) Norman has *excellent* schools for your kids as well when they are older, another reason we are thinking about moving down there (my kids are almost 6 and 2 yrs). OKC school district is NOT GOOD so whatever you do, stay away from that school district.

MamaMD

quoted:

Anyways, my dad made $100K a year growing up (he was an Admiral in the Navy) so I know what it's like to have that much money, I never considered us rich whatsoever, we never even lived in a "fancy" house but we always had nice things, private schools, etc.

Back then, 100k used to be a lot of money. Now most 2 income families bring in that much. THe cost of living used to be less so 100k would have gotten you a lot more than nowdays.

Originally posted by toomuch
I've always known many of the figures shown, but what I really hate is when I think that the more you make, the more taxes you pay. Deductions become a thought for every monetary decision you make and when you make 100k more a year in actuality it may only be 50k after uncle sam sees it.

Thats why you need to find a Good CPA to write off as much as you can without anything looking fishing. They know all the loop holes and can save you lots of money.

Originally posted by AmberE
Thats why you need to find a Good CPA to write off as much as you can without anything looking fishing. They know all the loop holes and can save you lots of money.

I mean to say fishy not fishing. lol

Originally posted by AmberE

Back then, 100k used to be a lot of money. Now most 2 income families bring in that much. THe cost of living used to be less so 100k would have gotten you a lot more than nowdays.

My dad still makes that much money, I guess it just depends on where you live, here in Oklahoma City $100K a year will get you a long way, I think the average families income is $50K or somewhere around there (it was in the paper not long ago and I'm talking about where I live, not any place else). Most 2 income families I know here make no where near or even close to $100K at all. Oklahoma has a very low cost of living, the average 3 bedroom house is about $80K (I know because me and my husband are looking right now), my friend just bought a nice 3 bedroom house in Moore for $65K.

Anyways, I NEVER said $100K was a "lot of money" like everyone here is referring I did, I just mentioned it was a lot more than my husband makes ($20K), and it is.

The only thing I ever asked was how does malpractive and all that come into play with all of that money..... because some of the physicians I have talked to in the past (like the OBGYN who I was referring too and I can't remember where she lived, out in CA or NY or somewhere) and she said her and her husband, because of malpractive in her practice (lol hope that is not confusing), barely make ends meet and that did concern me. I mean no one wants to go to school for years and work our asses off like we do, and have that debt load and "barely get by".

That was basically all I was asking about.

Marilyn