Anyone interviewed at University of Tennesee, Memphis

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shoeclothes, Nov 26, 2002.

1. shoeclothes

shoeclothes Member
    7+ Year Member

If so, what were some questions asked?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Md 2b In TN

7+ Year Member

4. Circadian Man

Circadian Man Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed there about a month ago and received an acceptance two weeks ago. Both of my interviewers were pretty laid back, and that seemed to be the case with the other interviewees that I spoke with. Most of the questions were the standard "tell me about yourself" kind of thing or questions from AMCAS. I was given one ethical dilemma in which I was asked what I would do if I were the doctor, but it wasn't anything particularly difficult. Be aware that one of the interviews is supposed to deal with academics and the other is to assess your personal qualities. Also, be sure to allow for some extra time in the morning. There is a lot of construction going on around the Health Science Center, and they tell you to park in the H-lot or something, but you actually have to park in the garage next to the 901 building. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck!

5. menemotxi

menemotxi Stalker
    7+ Year Member

6. Md 2b In TN

7+ Year Member

7. menemotxi

menemotxi Stalker
    7+ Year Member

I'm interviewing tomorrow. I'll post after it's over.

Menemot XI

8. boomuntilnoon

boomuntilnoon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm submitting my secondary application tomorrow... hopefully, I'll score an interview despite being out-of-state... after all, Diane did say she was in "awe" of my application. :)

9. menemotxi

menemotxi Stalker
    7+ Year Member

I just interviewed recently. The first interview was a little strange. He was a psychiatrist who seemed to analyze every answer I gave. He was a nice guy, but it seemed like he didn't like me. It was my alpha interview, academic review that is, but he barely mentioned academics. Focused mostly on my motivation, my family, what I liked to do in my spare time. Asked one "What woud you do if a patient ... (insert ethical dilemma here)" question. It was kinda tough since he kept adding more things to the question as I answered. The interview lasted way more than the allotted 50 minutes. I was in there for like an hour and twenty minutes. I hope that's a good thing.

Beta Interview, non-academic one, went really well. Interviewer asked a lot of tough questions. Many situational dilemmas, such as:

You are the attending physician when a pregnant woman comes in. You learn that having the baby will cost the mother her life, but the baby will live. To save the mother, she must have an abortion. What do you do?

He asked several more situational questions with ethical problems loaded in. Again the interview lasted much longer than the alotted 50 minutes. I think it was an hour and a half.

Make sure you can spout off answers to general interview questions: what are your greatest strength and greatest weakness, etc.

If you stay relaxed you'll do fine. Don't afraid to ask the interviewer to be more specific, or ask them to clarify a question. Also be loaded up with questions to ask them. My second interviewer was tough, but very nice. Everything is conversational so don't worry about being confronted or anything.

Good luck to all and just shoot me a question if you have one.

Menemot XI

p.s. The map they send is total crap. Call for directions to the parking garage.