Anyone interviewing at USUHS on 9/30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC kid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know if anyone will be there on the 30th and what we should expect. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

do you mind mentioning when you were complete? thanks! just wishing for an interview there...go navy!

I think I was complete on 8/24 because that's when I received the postcard I sent with my secondary saying they had received my LORs. They never sent me an "App complete" email or letter or anything. I just got the email invite.

uclabruin2003 said:
do you mind mentioning when you were complete? thanks! just wishing for an interview there...go navy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go Navy!

(not applying there but strongly considering HPSP)

DC kid said:
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know if anyone will be there on the 30th and what we should expect. Thanks!

From what I hear, expect a long day. Very long informational brief in the morning (about signing away the next 10+ years of your life) and interviews in afternoon. Should be fun.

Tony

I was supposed to go on the 30th, but had to reschedule b/c of my job. Good luck, though!

Can you guys let me know how it goes? I should be applying next year.

Hello. Good luck to all of you. :D .

The interview day is long. You'll start out in a conference room with the other applicants most likely. Some ADMIN people will come in and tell some jokes, then they wisp you away to briefings all morning, mostly about curriculum, military medicine, and your commitment. You'll get a tour of the campus, then eat lunch in the cafeteria (I think you have to bring money). Then two interviews. For me, one was with a 4th yr student (very laid back), the other with a MAJ (also laid back).

If any of you have questions, please PM me or just type away on this thread for all to see.

I can't believe its been a year already. If you're anything like I was, you are going nuts filling out secondaries (love to get 'em, but hate to fill 'em out), your counting every day until you finally KNOW you're going to be a doc, and scared you might miss something important. Relax. You read it everywhere on this board, but you really need to just relax. On to usefull info...

As an example time table, my AMCAS file was verified on sept 22, I recieved my secondary on sept 22, my file was complete oct 20 (stupid LORs), recieved an interview invite on nov 3, and interviewed on Dec 4th, accepted Jan 14th.

That means those of you thinking about applying, you still have time. For those of you waiting for interviews, USUHS interviews only on Thursdays (I don't know why) starting 9/23 and running until January I believe.

On your interview day, you will have about 15-25 other interviewees with you. And you'll do the stuff Evines said throughout the day. I'll add that you will have a brief tour of the school from one of the students, and you should feel free to ask questions. In fact, you'll see a ton of students throughout the day, and you should feel free to ask us anything. Everyone around here is really nice and friendly so use us to get to know the school and get a feel for what it would be like for you next year. Something different than other med schools I interviewed at is you won't get a tour of the hospital. Most schools will give you a tour of the hospital when you go because that will be where you do your 3rd and 4th year rotations. At USUHS, you will do your rotations and military hospitals throughout the country (everywhere from D.C. to Texas to Hawaii), so a tour of one Naval hospital would not be an indicative example.

For the interview, relax. It'll be about 15-20 minutes of someone just trying to understand who you are and why you want to come here. You'll get the basic questions, but you'll also get why do you want to be at USUHS/join the military, do you know what you're getting into, etc. On that note, realize that applying to USUHS is applying to become a military medical officer - in that order. Be able to explain why you want to become a military medical officer.

For those of you interested in applying, here's some info you may want to know:
If you attend USUHS, you learn all the other stuff other MD's learn plus some military medicine/history. Your first two summers will be doing military things (OBC, COT, active duty something). You wear a uniform to class every day. There are physical requirements. Most lectures are optional. You recieve notes for every class, and all of your books are free (except review books like BRS, etc.). Tuition is free. You will spend 4 years at med school, x years in residency, plus 7 years on active duty. You will not be shipped anywhere during med school, you will likely be able to go straight to residency, and when you are done you will be shipped off to a military hospital (or tent) depending on what you want to do and what the military needs. As a single student, you will make roughly $42,000/yr and married will make roughly $45,000. Medical and dental are free for you and cheap for your family. You will be in the military for a long time.

These are just somethings that I hope are helpful to people thinking about coming here. Don't get too caught up on the money since the difference between civilian and military pay basically washes out in the end. Know what you're getting in to, read these boards, and seach the internet. USUHS is a great place. I feel blessed to be able to go to school here, but it's not for everyone. I know this is practically a book, but I hope this helps someone.

grumbo said:
I can't believe its been a year already. If you're anything like I was, you are going nuts filling out secondaries (love to get 'em, but hate to fill 'em out), your counting every day until you finally KNOW you're going to be a doc, and scared you might miss something important. Relax. You read it everywhere on this board, but you really need to just relax. On to usefull info...

As an example time table, my AMCAS file was verified on sept 22, I recieved my secondary on sept 22, my file was complete oct 20 (stupid LORs), recieved an interview invite on nov 3, and interviewed on Dec 4th, accepted Jan 14th.

That means those of you thinking about applying, you still have time. For those of you waiting for interviews, USUHS interviews only on Thursdays (I don't know why) starting 9/23 and running until January I believe.

On your interview day, you will have about 15-25 other interviewees with you. And you'll do the stuff Evines said throughout the day. I'll add that you will have a brief tour of the school from one of the students, and you should feel free to ask questions. In fact, you'll see a ton of students throughout the day, and you should feel free to ask us anything. Everyone around here is really nice and friendly so use us to get to know the school and get a feel for what it would be like for you next year. Something different than other med schools I interviewed at is you won't get a tour of the hospital. Most schools will give you a tour of the hospital when you go because that will be where you do your 3rd and 4th year rotations. At USUHS, you will do your rotations and military hospitals throughout the country (everywhere from D.C. to Texas to Hawaii), so a tour of one Naval hospital would not be an indicative example.

For the interview, relax. It'll be about 15-20 minutes of someone just trying to understand who you are and why you want to come here. You'll get the basic questions, but you'll also get why do you want to be at USUHS/join the military, do you know what you're getting into, etc. On that note, realize that applying to USUHS is applying to become a military medical officer - in that order. Be able to explain why you want to become a military medical officer.

For those of you interested in applying, here's some info you may want to know:
If you attend USUHS, you learn all the other stuff other MD's learn plus some military medicine/history. Your first two summers will be doing military things (OBC, COT, active duty something). You wear a uniform to class every day. There are physical requirements. Most lectures are optional. You recieve notes for every class, and all of your books are free (except review books like BRS, etc.). Tuition is free. You will spend 4 years at med school, x years in residency, plus 7 years on active duty. You will not be shipped anywhere during med school, you will likely be able to go straight to residency, and when you are done you will be shipped off to a military hospital (or tent) depending on what you want to do and what the military needs. As a single student, you will make roughly $42,000/yr and married will make roughly $45,000. Medical and dental are free for you and cheap for your family. You will be in the military for a long time.

These are just somethings that I hope are helpful to people thinking about coming here. Don't get too caught up on the money since the difference between civilian and military pay basically washes out in the end. Know what you're getting in to, read these boards, and seach the internet. USUHS is a great place. I feel blessed to be able to go to school here, but it's not for everyone. I know this is practically a book, but I hope this helps someone.

wow grumbo, thanks for such a long post. I am interviewing at USUHS in Oct and I think you did a great job summarizing the info about the interview day and your general opinion of the school. On behalf of anyone else this helps, thanks!

USUHS highly recommends emailing August MCAT scores as soon as they are released around Oct 14th. This is from Michelle Anderson in the admissions office. She told me when I visited the school last week (no interview yet, I was just in the area on other business).

She said she very strongly recommends to email your scores to [email protected] requesting that they be printed out and put in your file, then to follow up with a phone call if they don't email you back by the next day (darn good service for a med school admissions office, they are very professional). They recommend this, I think, because they move very fast in the application process (according to other posts on SDN). I plan to put the scores in the body text of the email, and also attach a Word document with an inserted JPEG of a screen capture of the THx webpage showing my scores, just so the printout they put in my file seems somewhat official. This is somewhat convoluted, but I figured it would be the most reliable way to do it since sometimes trying to email an HTML file (i.e., a saved file of the webpage) gets messed up. If anybody wants help on how to do what I am talking about, just ask.

She said that with the emailed scores they will send your file up to be reviewed and that you can get an interview invite based on the emailed scores (assuming this is the last thing you are waiting on for your file to be complete). This puts your file about 2 weeks or so ahead compared to waiting for the THx system, which they will of course eventually use to verify the scores you email to them.

This is yet another feature that sets this school apart from the pack. I haven't heard of other schools using emailed scores to consider applicants for the interview stage.

Are there any other submariners or Navy nuclear power applicants out there?

Hope this helps anybody who is late in the cycle for USUHS! Good luck, and hopefully I will meet some of ya'll at an interview.

i am so lucky i got my first interview here. it will be on 10/21!!!! im so excited....i think im going to faint...

uclabruin2003 said:
i am so lucky i got my first interview here. it will be on 10/21!!!! im so excited....i think im going to faint...

Hey, I just got my invite too :D I guess I'll see you there!!