Anyone Involved in National Health Service Corps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just D.O. It!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you involved in the National Health Service Corps (NHSC), will you please describe to me your experience(s)?

I'm a first year medical student and am considering applying for this program prior to my second year. I am interested in Family Practice of course.

What are the pros and cons of the NHSC? How does NHSC determine where (rural, inner-city, reservations, etc.) its students go after their residencies?

How much say do students have regarding where they go after their residencies?

I've already searched NHSC's website, and am now looking for experiences from those who have gone through the program.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.........

Members don't see this ad.

I am, in my 3rd year now of med school. PM me if you have some real questions. It is a damn good deal but there are some tough restrictions, and they seem to get tougher yearly. But thank God for red tape, because in the end it covers you and you can get what you want out of it for sure.

PACtoDOC said:
I am, in my 3rd year now of med school. PM me if you have some real questions. It is a damn good deal but there are some tough restrictions, and they seem to get tougher yearly. But thank God for red tape, because in the end it covers you and you can get what you want out of it for sure.

PactoDoc,
Thanks for your reply. Would you mind elaborating on your statement above, and if you can, answer some of the questions in my first statement? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same queation regarding how much input recipients have into their own placements? If you can find a job in a location that satisfies their definition for underserved can you take it and satisfy your commitment?

Anyone involved in the National Health Service Corps?????