Anyone know a good online resource for interpreting X rays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or is there a good book? I hate presenting just because I have no real system I follow.

Members don't see this ad.

Learning Radiology: recognizing the basics. The website is good (and free), the book is significantly better (and pretty cheap), and the online quizes included in the cost of the book are fantastic for hammering concepts home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or is there a good book? I hate presenting just because I have no real system I follow.

The "Rotation, Exposure, ABCDE" method is useful for people first starting to present.

Airway (trachea, bronchograms)
Bones (fractures, osteopenia)
Cardiac (silhouette, size, blurred edges)
Diaphragm (Costovertebral angles, gastric bubble)
Everything else (Lung fields, Lines, Tubes)

If you are looking for how to actually ready them, I cannot emphasize enough the need to get behind a resident reading films. At my school there is a room where all they do is read Xrays, 100s all day long. I now dominate in X-ray interpretation. Im no radiologist, but comparable to even most of my residents, I can pick up things better than they can. I spent 8 days behind a resident.

I too looked for a text to orient me. I didnt find any that were particularly strong. Learning Radiology Website + 100s of films of Practice was the formula for me.

We use netanatomy.com, but I think you/your school has to have a subscription to see the images.

I like the book called "Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology"

i'm biased bc i'm going into it, but i think Learning Radiology should be required reading for clinical rotations. most students literally don't know how to read any films.