ANYONE know about Milwaukee???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I will be moving out to Milwaukee and am set to get into a lease for an apt. Does anyone know much about the Porticos at Fox Point apartments. They seem pretty nice, but I am not out there so was hoping some people in here may have the inside scoop. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I am from Milwaukee, and its a pretty cool place, at times. I did go to high school there, so the options for that age group were def limited. in any case. Fox point is a nice area, pretty close to the city, but you need a car for sure, no public transport really. I dont know what the Porticos is, but if youre close to the lake, then its a great location, I think. Are you moving there for med school? MCOW is kinda far from fox point, but not horrible i guess. Hope this helps.

dsherida said:
Hey guys,
I will be moving out to Milwaukee and am set to get into a lease for an apt. Does anyone know much about the Porticos at Fox Point apartments. They seem pretty nice, but I am not out there so was hoping some people in here may have the inside scoop. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Anywhere in Fox Point is safe! Albeit pricey, Porticos is very nice. It will take about 45min to get to MCW, especially now that downtown is a fully under construction. Try to rent in Wauwatosa, or maybe Brookfield. This way you will be on the same side of town as MCW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the drive horrible traffic or just a little far??? I don't really mind a half hour or so drive! Do you know if there are young people that live there or old or mix? Don't want to live with people all over fifty :) Thanks for info!!!

dsherida said:
Is the drive horrible traffic or just a little far??? I don't really mind a half hour or so drive! Do you know if there are young people that live there or old or mix? Don't want to live with people all over fifty :) Thanks for info!!!
Ordinarily, the drive would take about 25min to get there. BUT... in order to use freeway you'd have to go thru downtown (which means through Marquette interchange) Well, the big construction is on until 2008, traffic is A-W-E-F-U-L-L during rush hour. Add snow in winter and you will probably spend your entire life in traffic :mad:
The Porticos is very nice, clean, well-taken-care-of. But, if you want any type of social life, stay away from it, it is too uptight IMHO. Not too friendly to younger people, even future doctors. It all depends on what you intend to do in your SCARCE free time.

They exaggerate about traffic - it's NOTHING like Chicago or NYC. You could avoid the freeways and still get to MCW pretty fast (Brown Deer Road to 91st, all the way down to Watertown Plank). Still, if I were you, I'd try to live in Wauwatosa or Brookfield. Fox Point is quite, quite safe - it's surrounded by one of the richest ZIP codes in the country. 90% of my dad's landscape clientele is in that area. Wauwatosa is pretty nice along the western edge, but the whole area is still relatively safe. Just stay out of 25th and North Ave, even though it's right where I work, it's where all the murders have been occurring.

Porticos doesn't seem like your age range though. The east side is the trendiest area, but it's more pricey for lower quality. A friend of mine has the first floor of a pretty nice house in Tosa for $700/month right near 70th and North. I'd look for something like that - it's like 10 minutes from MCW.

dsherida said:
Hey guys,

I wouldn't sign a lease until you get down here. There appears to be a lot of availability for rentals. Good luck!