Anyone know about or completed a one year OMFS internship?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by traveljunkie1, Dec 20, 2008.

1. traveljunkie1

Dentist
    Has anyone completed a one year OMFS internship or know about them? Im 2yrs out of school, enjoying general practice and basic OS. However, Im looking to expand my surgical thought process and skills. I am seriously considering a 1 year OMFS internship. Any thoughts about the program? I realize it is often a backdoor to OMFS residencies. I dont plan on becoming an OMFS. I want to approach surgery, under the scope of general dentistry, with stronger and better intellect rather than just mechanics. Thanks for the feedback.

2. omfsgirl

Resident [Any Field]
    I am a resident and I also did an internship. It depends on where you do your internship at as to whether you are going to improve your skills. In alot of places the interns chuck teeth all day, but in other places its all scut work. If you do it choose wisely and keep in mind the interns are the bottom of the ladder, get blamed for everything and take ALOT of call. If you are already in private practice, and have a re3al life doing an internship would be a real shakeup and you have to really want it to put up with being eveones bitch. Bottom line, you learn a lot your intern year, but it can really suck.

3. IcedOMFS

IcedOMFS realultimatepower.net
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Note that the phrase is, "shuck teeth," an analogy to, "shucking oysters."

Oyster shucking is a little different... Stick it in, pry it open, and leave her with a pearl necklace...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LSU-Cowboy

LSU-Cowboy Resident
    5+ Year Member

Unless you talk like Scarface....Like I usually do.....then you "chuck teeth mang"

5. omfsgirl

Resident [Any Field]
    or chuck teeth as in "a woodchuck chucks....." a-hole

6. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I thought it was shuck. Maybe it's a regional thing?

7. parosi

Dental Student
    is there anywhere were i could find a list of places that offer the one year internship in OMFS??

8. setdoc7

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Since these 1 year OMFS internships are not accredited positions per se, (although there are ways around that too) they are not listed on the ADA website of accredited residency programs. With that said, I would inquire at most programs that offer OMFS. They generally have several positions, although you might have to have completed an AEGD or GPR to be legitimately eligible at some. One more thing...you cannot receive a New York State license by completing one of these internships.

9. Guy Smiley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try the AAOMS job listing website...although not all internships are listed there, a decent number are...Programs I know about with internships include Jacksonville, LSU-NO, both Parkland and JPS, U of K, Emory, UNC had one this year. I know there are a few out there not associated with programs such as the Long Beach VA internship etc. Best source of finding internships is networking through the OMFS faculty at your home school or at places you itnerviewed. They know people who know people, etc. The academic community for OMFS is pretty small.

I wanted to add I know several surgeons/residents who have interned at JPS hospital in Dallas and all say it was excellent.

10. Flappy McSuture

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I know that Baylor in Dallas and LSU Shreveport take two interns each year. Oklahoma and Kentucky usually have one, but I don't think they are this year. I also think Louisville has one, but don't quote me on that.

11. setdoc7

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine takes two OMFS interns each year. Applicants must have completed an AEGD or GPR prior to applying. Applications may be submitted beginning the day after the MATCH. Interested parties should contact Lisandra Santana, Executive Secretary at the Department of Dentistry at 718-918-3419. Applications must include dental school transcripts, National Baord scores, CV, and 3 letters of recommendation.

12. Turnpike

Turnpike Member
    7+ Year Member

Here are internships I know of:
    Ohio: takes 3 i think?
    Parkland: usually fills up well before match date, good rep
    Baylor
    Iowa
    LSU NO and Shreveport: both strong internships from what I hear
    Emory
    Maryland
    USC
    UCLA
    Tufts
    Florida
    Some others in NYC?

I'm sure there are more out there.

13. burnernorth757

Is there a minimum GPA or Part I/II score requirement?

Are there also any numerical minimums at other OMFS intern programs?

14. oralsurgeryJI

2+ Year Member

More that I know about....
    Cariats health in NYC
    Indiana
    Carle Clinic
    and one that nobody really knows about... Long Beach VA

15. Guy Smiley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you at Long Beach?

16. oralsurgeryJI

2+ Year Member

No I interviewed though. I met the girl that got it at an interview. She said its awesome.