Anyone know about USUHS or have Military Med experience?

CaliGrl80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Status
This is my first post and I would appreciate any advice. I have been accepted at 3 schools but am having trouble deciding between 2 of them. One is USUHS and the other is Creighton. I did a master's at creighton and really like the school. However, the cost is so high and the thought of having the NAVY pay for my school is very enticing. However, I would not join the military for this reason alone. I am trying to figure out if the NAVY is for me and I would appreciate anyone's opinions. Here are a few of my concerns:
1. Since USUHS is not able to be ranked I am want to know how the students feel the quality of education is.
2. Which situation do you think would be easier to have a family in? The thought of having a family during residency or after and then being deployed is a very big negative in my mind.
3. What is the whole GMO thing like? what are the different choices for NAVY?
4. Are any physicians happy that they did the NAVY route (USUHS especially)? All I hear is negative comments.
5. How much of a strain is it to actually pay back student loans if I did the civilian route and went to Creighton (40K)? How much money do you actually pay back per month and for how long? :)

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Hi CaliGrl80 :)

First off, congrats on all those acceptances! I didn't apply to Creihton, but I did apply and was accepted to USUHS (army) so I can tell you what I think about USUHS.

I totally understand how you're feeling. It's scary thinking about how much a private school will cost... and then you see that you get PAID to study at USUSH. And the salary isn't too bad either.

CaliGrl80 said:
1. Since USUHS is not able to be ranked I am want to know how the students feel the quality of education is.
I think they get pretty much the same education as all the other med schools. No need to worry there. And being a navy brat, I've been to tons of military doctors. Some of them are awesome.

2. Which situation do you think would be easier to have a family in? The thought of having a family during residency or after and then being deployed is a very big negative in my mind.
I think it is harder to have a family in the military especially since you're a girl. I mean, you won't be as worried about finances, but gosh. I don't know if I could leave my kids for 6 months. This is actually one of the main reasons I declined my acceptance to USUHS.

Also keep in mind that you really have no choice while you're doing your pay back. You do whatever the military tells you to do... whether you like it or not. You don't want to move to the middle of nowhere? Too bad. There aren't any good schools for your kids in this area? Too bad.

3. What is the whole GMO thing like? what are the different choices for NAVY?
sorry, can't help you with this one

4. Are any physicians happy that they did the NAVY route (USUHS especially)? All I hear is negative comments.
I've met plenty of happy physicians who went to USUHS or who are currently military physicians. I think positive people can make the best out of any situation.

5. How much of a strain is it to actually pay back student loans if I did the civilian route and went to Creighton (40K)? How much money do you actually pay back per month and for how long? :)
If you live moderately for a while, I don't think it'll be that bad. People have done it in the past, and plenty of med studetns will continue to pay back these debts in the future. I've heard people say we'll pay like $2000/month, but i'm not exactly sure. I've seen threads on this in the past, so you might want to do a search or check out the military forum (which is a great resource).

There is another sdner -dryo- who's awesome :love: She's been accepted to usuhs (navy) too... so maybe she'll chime in as well.

The military is an awesome way to go, it just wasn't for me. And you're the ony one who knows how important family and choice is to you. Good luck deciding between schools :luck:

qqq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
Status
Please see the military forum, all your questions are answered there.

usuhs will never* be ranked because it is not a research intensive school. the military needs doctors to care for the troops and for their families. research is not emphasized, although many will tell you that if you search hard enough, research opportunities are available. military docs publish if they really want to.

*i guess i should not say never

ElKapitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status
The thing that turned me off to USUHS, was the fact that you will be living military life for a minimum of 15 years. Since residency does not go toward your 7 year time committment. If you decide on a specialty that has a long residency you could be in the military (with military pay) for more than 15 years.

USUHS is great if you are going to have a family, and if you know you like military life. Otherwise I would be weary.

OP
C

CaliGrl80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Status
Thanks guys for all your imput :thumbup: It is just so hard to tell how I will really feel about the Millitary life without any prior personal experience. But no one can really help me there. I can see certain advantages like being able to practice in an enviroment where everyone is able to receive the care they need and not having to worry about malpractice stuff. I also really liked the school and the area. It sure beats omaha. :oops:

AnotherDork

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Massachusetts
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The first time I applied, the only interview I got was at USUHS (I have no prior military experience). I would have gone there in a heartbeat, but now I am kind of glad I didn't get in, because the time commitment is REALLY long. 4 years of school, plus residency, then 7 years active duty and 6 years in the reserve (I think).

My feeling is that if you aren't 100% sure you want to do it, go to Creighton because paying back money is a heck of a lot easier than paying back time. It really depends if you want to be a career military doctor.

If your primary driving factor for joining the military is financial, check out the HPSP program. If you got into medical school, it's not difficult to get into this program. You would be able to attend Creighton, and the Navy will pay for most or all of it and give you something like $1200-$1500/ month for living expenses. I looked into this extensively the first time I applied, but decided now, 2 years later, that I want to be settled down by the time I am finished with residency, rather than have to commit to the military. The commitment is slightly lower than if you go to USUHS- 4 years after your residency, and you have some maneuverability in that it's possible to get a civilian residency.

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
Jacksonville, NC
www.naturesamerica.com
Status
Caligirl,
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. I didn't want to commit 15+ years of my life to the military because I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I knew I wanted to serve my country but I wanted to keep my long term options open. What I did was attend Creighton and do the 3 year HPSP for the Navy. In hindsight, I think that was the best decision for me. With a 3 year HPSP, I can finish school at Creighton, do my internship with the Navy and then join the 3 year flight surgery program (you can fly and travel alot) and finish my committment. If I like the Navy and military, I can stay afterwards and do a residency with them (in which you would get higher residency pay and preference toward a residency you want to do) and thus incur more payback (4 more years owed). If I stayed in the Navy for residency, it would be equivalent to going to USUHS but not getting paid in medical school. That was fine with me cause I wanted to keep the window open to leave the military early if it wasn't for me. If you have any more questions, pm me.

Jetson

focus05

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
hey cali girl and other s- i am in the same situation and ahve to decide asap. usuhs is my only acceptance and i'm on 2 in state waitlists that dont look *too* promising at this point.... eeeeeeeks. but yah the big thing holding me back is being female and having a family, and my priorities shifting in 8 yrs... big sigh!