Anyone know about Wash U's scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobears

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does everybody who gets an acceptance to Wash U also get an invitation to apply for a scholarship? If not, then what are the chances of actually getting the scholarship once you're invited to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

~100 are invited to apply, ~35 interview, and they award ~7 for DSS/DAS. There are ~7 other full-rides for URMs only. Did you apply? You do have to be invited to apply. Applications were due March 4. I really hope I'm one of the 35 invited to interview!

Actually, there are numerous deadlines -- you're given a certainly length of time (6-8 weeks?) from when you're accepted -- some people likely had earlier deadlines, others later.

Good luck to all those waiting to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
They definitely have different deadlines (mine was due on Jan. 7). I asked at that time about when we might hear back in regards to interviews. The lady I spoke with said don't expect any news until mid-April.

Yeah...I sent in my application about a month ago.

It really confused the hell out of me though. There was that mysterious packet to give to an evaluator. Did you guys find someone new, or just give it to someone who had already written a letter of rec for you (which is what I did...because those were the people I thought knew me best). What the hell was in that packet...by the way?

oh yeah...did your apps for the scholarship come with your acceptance letter? mine came about two weeks later, but I thought everything would be together? I wonder if they weren't get enough applications back?

I went through the process last year. According to my evaluator, the bulkiest, heaviest part of the package was....a Wash U catalogue. Also included was a letter asking the evaluator to address specific aspects of your character. My evaluator didn't specify, but from the questions she asked me, I gathered they were pretty standard: leadership, social skills, etc.

My evaluator opened the packet in front of me- all it was was a catalogue about the school and a letter asking you to write about the applicant and explaining the scholarship- it didn't really specify what to write. I also got my scholarship application about 2 weeks after my acceptance letter (accepted before christmas/ letter in early January).

Hmm... 7 out of 100. That doesn't look too good. I bet all 100 of those people invited to apply have amazing stats too. Dang. You know, I worked my ass off to do well in classes and on the MCAT. You know what I am at Wash U? Average... Oh well.

Anyway, I just got my DSS/DAS application packet (about 3 weeks after my acceptance). Looks like I have about 2 weeks to complete it. Gotta get busy!

Okay, not like I really expect to get an interview for this, but you know, *just in case*, can anyone remember what weekend they said it would be? The first weekend of May? I feel kind of silly leaving it open for the very slim possibility, but ...

Yes, the interview weekend is the first weekend in May. Last year they didn't give a whole lot of notice - I think they let people know about 2 weeks ahead of time that they were invited for the weekend. But if you get the invite, they make all the travel arrangements for you, so you don't have to run around at the last minute. Good luck!