Anyone know anything about Hawaii FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisRSB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any info is helpful.
anyone match in hawaii?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an intern at Hawaii's FM program. It's a strong program overall, and its best strengths are in rural/underserved medicine. The program does not give preferences to UH applicants but most residents have an interest in caring for underserved populations, international health, or are planning on staying and practicing in Hawaii.

The intern year is extremely good, but very intense with 10 inpatient months: two months of peds at a pediatric hospital with other peds residents, OB with OB residents, and MICU with internal medicine residents. We do 3 Family Med inpatient months at Wahiawa General Hospital, a small public hospital where we are unopposed. The hospital is old, physically and technologically, but the only doctors there at night are the FP residents on call and the ER doc, so we gets a lot of hands on experience at being self-sufficient. However, it is likely that these fam med inpatient months will be moved to a different hospital on Oahu withing the next 5 years or so.

In the second and third year we have rural rotations in Hilo, on the Big Island, as well as an additional rural month (we can choose where) and a combined total of 3 electives for which many people opt to go to Micronesia.

This is just a small amount of info. I'll be happy to add to this if you would like.

I'm an intern at Hawaii's FM program. It's a strong program overall, and its best strengths are in rural/underserved medicine. The program does not give preferences to UH applicants but most residents have an interest in caring for underserved populations, international health, or are planning on staying and practicing in Hawaii.

The intern year is extremely good, but very intense with 10 inpatient months: two months of peds at a pediatric hospital with other peds residents, OB with OB residents, and MICU with internal medicine residents. We do 3 Family Med inpatient months at Wahiawa General Hospital, a small public hospital where we are unopposed. The hospital is old, physically and technologically, but the only doctors there at night are the FP residents on call and the ER doc, so we gets a lot of hands on experience at being self-sufficient. However, it is likely that these fam med inpatient months will be moved to a different hospital on Oahu withing the next 5 years or so.

In the second and third year we have rural rotations in Hilo, on the Big Island, as well as an additional rural month (we can choose where) and a combined total of 3 electives for which many people opt to go to Micronesia.

This is just a small amount of info. I'll be happy to add to this if you would like.

As a student did you rotate through that hospital? How competitive is HI compared to other rural FM residencies? Do you have any other information about any other rural/international health residencies? I'm just starting to research this area of medicine and don't really know where to start. Thanks!

I did not do a rotation here as a med student. It's not necessary to do one in order to match here, but it certainly helps a great deal. My impression is that the competitiveness is medium to high; however, being so far away from the rest of the country decreases the applicant pool...Genuine interest in either underserved, rural, international medicine, or staying in Hawaii is what make applicants stand out.

If you search the AAFP residency directory you will find many programs that are strong in rural medicine- you just have to narrow the list down by the characteristics that you think are important.
Somewhere else on the AAFP website there is a list of "international opportunities" for residents that lists a few programs with international electives. I can't remember exactly how to get to the page, but I know it exists. from my random knowledge, Tacoma Fam Med is strong in rurual med, and Case Western, Baylor U, and U of Mississippi have international opportunities; I'm sure there are many more.

good luck! I'm happy to answer any other questions.