Anyone know anything about Masters program at Midwestern AZ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boorad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to the Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences program at Midwestern University in AZ. Can anyone tell me anything about this program? The interview was just over the phone and so unfortunately I didn't get as much information as I would like. It is an expensive program and am trying to decide if it is something that would be worth it or not.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a top notch program with really good faculty. Is it easy? No! It is a graduate program with course load you never had in undergrad. It is a program set up to help you succeed in gaining an acceptance somewhere if you put in the work. Both MWU dental schools look highly upon it if you do well in the program and will set you ahead of your peers for the 1st year of dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are pretty good about accepting people who enter the program and succeed into one of their graduate programs.

I know someone who did this for dental school who had failed to get accepted anywhere for a couple of years. They did average in the program and got accepted to midwestern's dental program.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the DAT works with the Master's program? I took mine in June 2010 so if they want a DAT score within three years it would be expired. Does anyone know if they would have me take it again or could I matriculate into the dental school without taking it again?

It is a very good program with very good faculty. As for the course load it is fairly packed. It is manageable, but it does not feel like it's extremely hard. Test questions is rather easy compared to my ugrad level (UCLA). I guess it's the volume that is intimidating, not the material itself. It is definitely do-able to get straight As, but you have to be very hardworking and good at managing your time.

boorad - when did you apply to the program? I only just submitted in my application and am wondering how long it would be before I heard something back from them.

I applied in mid January, had phone interview beginning of February and got acceptance letter this week

This program takes unqualified applicants that had poor undergrads (<2.75GPA, <18DAT) and gets them into dental school. It's also a myth that you need straight A's, you just have to do decent in the program.

@amail - are you or were you a student of the program? Do you know if you they require you to retake your DAT and if so, do they give you prep time or prep materials? thanks.

This program takes unqualified applicants that had poor undergrads (<2.75GPA, <18DAT) and gets them into dental school. It's also a myth that you need straight A's, you just have to do decent in the program.

I'm looking into applying to this program, seeing as I have no acceptances to DS this cycle. I have a 3.36GPA and 22AA 21TS 20PAT; are you saying they only take underqualified students with less than those stats, or that they will but not necessarily take applicants with those stats?

I'm looking into applying to this program, seeing as I have no acceptances to DS this cycle. I have a 3.36GPA and 22AA 21TS 20PAT; are you saying they only take underqualified students with less than those stats, or that they will but not necessarily take applicants with those stats?

This is all opinion and just from my outside perspective since I haven't been in the program.

They say 2.75 minimum. I'm sure there are exceptions just like there are exceptions to stated minimums in dental school. But I'd be surprised if every student was/is at or below those 2.75/18. Some have to be above or the average GPA or the last class wouldn't be 3.17.

It seems to be a good route. I have no idea how much they hold to the guaranteed interview into another program with the 2 quarters of 3.0 and DAT within 1 SD of the last dental class. But it seems they would since that's the purpose of the articulation agreement. Placement seems good in general. Not sure of the specific dental placement. All I know is that ~10% of the current D1 class are graduates of the program. I don't see anyone's grades of course, but it seems like the program puts them at an advantage academically once in dental school. They know the campus/program, some (most?) of the faculty who will lecture and sometimes the style of questions a particular faculty uses, and they seem to be a tight group of friends. Seems kind of awesome. Now that I think about it, they seem to be some of the most chill people in the class.

I'm just curious, what do you think held up your application this cycle? I know the #1 thing schools want to see in reapplicants is improved academics (whether through DAT or coursework) and your looking into a masters shows you mean business and you're ready to hit plan B. Your current stats seem pretty good though. Great DAT. oGPA seems doable too. Maybe sGPA? Hopefully it works out this cycle for you. From what I remember, things start to shake up a little bit once those holding multiple seats are forced to decide.

I'm just curious, what do you think held up your application this cycle? I know the #1 thing schools want to see in reapplicants is improved academics (whether through DAT or coursework) and your looking into a masters shows you mean business and you're ready to hit plan B. Your current stats seem pretty good though. Great DAT. oGPA seems doable too. Maybe sGPA? Hopefully it works out this cycle for you. From what I remember, things start to shake up a little bit once those holding multiple seats are forced to decide.

Thanks for the input jeffity. Honestly, I'm not quite sure...but I believe it is because I applied somewhat later (Received by schools at the end of August), that I only applied to 5 schools (MWU was one of them), I come from a small private school that is relatively unknown. My sGPA is a 3.52, so that is not an issue. Furthermore, my oGPA excluding freshman year is about a 3.6, and my sGPA is around a 3.65. It's been a tough cycle for me, and having to play the waiting game only to hear waitlists and rejections (or nothing at all), has been really disheartening. But next cycle I'm going to apply in June, and apply to 15 or so schools, while possibly doing a MBS to increase by academic credentials.

I am saying don't worry about your grades prior to this program. People come in with really poor undergrad statistics and still get into the dental school after completion of this program.

As for your stats @Hallenbeck, you look like a decent applicant without this program (although I'd have to hear your science GPA). Midwestern doesn't only take poor applicants from the program, many of the good ones get in as well.

It is a great program, and Amali is right you do not need straight A's to get accepted, although its best to hedge your bets. Also if you don't do well in your interview you chances of admission are not a sure bet. One of the nice things about the program is you get to be exposed to a lot of the basic science faculty that you have D1 year and get a feel for the way they like to test. Also in some cases you get almost the same lecture. They also have a great Anatomy and good histology course which I did not have a lot of exposure to in undergrad which really set me up for success this year.

I'm planning on applying to this program as soon as I take my DAT. My friend was in this program for the class of 2012, and he just got accepted into MWU Illinois Dental School. From what I heard from him, seems like a good program, and it's only 9 months!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone. Did anyone or anyone you know interview for the program, but get rejected? My stats are on the lower side, and I'm just really surprised I got an interview (which is tomorrow afternoon!)

I recently interviewed and was put on the alternate list? Does anyone know how good a chance the people on the alternate list will receive acceptances?

From reading the threads on SDN, people were saying it's almost a sure deal you would get accepted if you got an interview. I thought my phone interview went really well so I dont know what happen.

I also applied to this master program, but I am going to Rush University. Is there anyone here who is doing their masters at Rush. I hear Dental Schools look at the Rush Master program as the same as other master programs. I also know a few students who took this program and got into Dental School as well.

Anyone knows what the average percentage of success of graduates from this MABS getting into their subsequent professional school (dental, medical, etc)?

for this program you need a 3.0 and a DAT score in 1 standard deviation of the previous class's average to get a guaranteed interview at both campuses. Pretty much all of them get accepted in feb to MWU. They put a lot of weight on your interview and as long as you get ~3.3 in their program you'll pretty much get in. PM me if you want any specifics