Anyone know anything about PR schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GSUEagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed student aiming at osteopathic schools due to a low CGPA, (probably graduating with ~3.2.) However, I might aim for lower tier allo schools as well. Because I am fluent in Spanish and have taken the required amount of Spanish credits for the pre-reqs at PR schools, I would be eligible from a pre-req standpoint. It seems as though the PR schools have lower GPA requirements. With my CGPA, would I already be non-competitive at these schools regardless of whether or not I perform exceptionally well on the MCAT?

The biggest difficulty is that they seem to place emphasis on PR residents and/or people with ties to the island. I can claim neither. Does anyone who is from the mainland with no PR ties have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.2 you have no chance of MD admissions. PR schools have a huge bias for PR students, like you said. Combining no PR ties and an extremely low GPA makes your chances very slim.

Something else to think about- San Juan Bautista is facing severe LCME issues...

With a 3.2 you have no chance of MD admissions. PR schools have a huge bias for PR students, like you said. Combining no PR ties and an extremely low GPA makes your chances very slim.

Something else to think about- San Juan Bautista is facing severe LCME issues...

There's no such thing as no chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southern treated you too well it seems. :laugh:

DO school.

Southern treated you too well it seems. :laugh:

DO school.

More like I was a lazy, good-for-nothing bum for the first half of undergrad. :p You would be surprised how often that occurs. Yeah, DO is the most likely route as with just two classes grade-replaced, I would be ~3.5 and therefore more competititve. Just thought I would check into this as well, because I couldnt find very much information on it. (Likely because the Spanish requirement precludes a lot of pre-meds, which is further compounded by the residency favor.)

More like I was a lazy, good-for-nothing bum for the first half of undergrad. :p You would be surprised how often that occurs. Yeah, DO is the most likely route as with just two classes grade-replaced, I would be ~3.5 and therefore more competititve. Just thought I would check into this as well, because I couldnt find very much information on it. (Likely because the Spanish requirement precludes a lot of pre-meds, which is further compounded by the residency favor.)

So Southern didn't treat you well? Where did all the money go towards?

3.2 at the time of application, 33 mcat. 3 MD interview, 2 MD acceptance, not a urm, first time applying. check my post history to see where i am going. 3.2 is definitely not the end of the world

May the odds be ever in your favor...

Why waste the time and money with MD apps when he has a legitimate chance at a DO school?

From your post I didn't get much of a reason why you want to become a doctor. So from that I would take a step back from it all, and look at things from a clear perspective. You're going to rely on the MCAT to boost your app. How are you going to do that without knowing science? No mention of ECs? I guess since you were a good for nothing bum in undergrad, you don't have those.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, I just want to give my .02

I just started at San Juan Bautista. I am not Puerto Rican (Colombian) and was a non-trad. Science GPA was 3.6 and my MCAT was pretty terrible. I volunteered overseas for a year and I think that is what got me in.

I have a brother who plays for their national basketball team. I hope that gives me a look at.

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf

looks like 3000 people or so from the last three years might disagree with you.

I agree with your point, however the OP asked specifically about PR schools...the 3000 people you provided didn't go to PR schools, most probably didn't, so the odds shift again. Overall, the OP has a TINY chance of MD admissions if they get a 30+ and apply broadly and early (the early thing seems to be past).

Remember, my comment was about the OP's chances at PR schools, which is basically zero since they have no ties to the island and a 3.2.

Better?