anyone know anything about the columbia 1 year nutrit. program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohitkedia07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey sdners,

does anyone know anything of the columbia 1 year nutr. program
good/bad?
does it increase ones chance for med school?

if i dont get off the waitlist, i dont know what im going to do for a year in between, i dont want to come back a year later and not have done anything because they wont have any reason to take me then.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard the same thing. I STRONGLY considered doing it next year to boost my science profile, but I was really put off by information I got from the admissions office. I am not sure if they meant to say this, but they said 80 percent of their students apply to medical school but he knew of only a handful that had actually gotten in. I am not sure how admissions committees regard the program - it certainly sounds good since it is Columbia - but the fact that so few students are getting in is cause for concern. Also, I work with dieticians and it is not well regarded in the nutrition community as it is not an "end stage" degree, it is basically a program that is supposed to serve as a filler. It is just too much money for no promise of gain.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounded like a waste of time/money to me when they sent me the invite last year.

i thought it was to become an RD, which would be excellent knowledge if you're considering public health or just to be able to give patients good info on eating health, but really its only for a certificiate in nutrition. For the RD its something like 2 yrs and a bunch of clinical hours...so yea, i decided not to do it. Plus, the tuition/costs are insane.

i thought it was to become an RD, which would be excellent knowledge if you're considering public health or just to be able to give patients good info on eating health, but really its only for a certificiate in nutrition. For the RD its something like 2 yrs and a bunch of clinical hours...so yea, i decided not to do it. Plus, the tuition/costs are insane.

i just considered it something akin to predatory lending - hitting up people they think won't get into med school, and using their desperation as a way to get $40k out of them. Kind of like all the podiatry stuff you get as well. If you want to improve your science gpa, you have to do it by taking upper division or graduate level biological science courses, not by looking for easy classes to take.