Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Southern Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone. I was looking around on the web at some programs and found the School for Field Studies a couple weeks ago. I reviewed their site and received info from them today. I was wondering if anyone here has done any of their programs or heard anything about them. I am interested in a couple of their programs (Kenya especially) and wanted to see if anyone knew anything.

bunnity

Penn 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
My best friend did a month-long summer program with them in Mexico studying sea turtles. She really loved it. She said the school was a lot of work but she learned a lot and made some good friends. There seemed to be a lot of hands-on experience working with the turtles.

gracietiger

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hi,
I did the SFS-Kenya program while I was in college. Amazing. It taught me a great deal about wildlife and conservation, and also hugely set me up to work and live with wildlife in West Africa for about a year after college. Feel free to PM me if you'd like details.

OP
Backwoods Boy

Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Southern Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,
I did the SFS-Kenya program while I was in college. Amazing. It taught me a great deal about wildlife and conservation, and also hugely set me up to work and live with wildlife in West Africa for about a year after college. Feel free to PM me if you'd like details.
Glad to see that someone has done it. I sent you a PM...

So far it sounds like a worthwhile experience. I may consider doing it.

HandD42

ISU CVM C/O 2014
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Iowa
Status
Veterinary Student
I did the SFS-Australia program. No hands on animal work in that one. We spent lots of time planting trees in reforestation projects.

...Actually now that I think about it I did my research project on a bird banding and tracking program. So we did do a little bit of work with wild birds. Looks like I have an additional experience to add to the VMCAS ;)

OP
Backwoods Boy

Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Southern Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else here been in their programs. I just want to hear some thoughts. If you went to any of their programs, I'd be glad to hear it.

splashie

UFCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Florida
Status
Veterinary Student
I did their summer program in Kenya last year for community wildlife management, and it was an amazing experience. I had a bit smaller group than they usually get, what, with all the travel warnings issued back then, but the staff and facilities were awesome. If you have any questions about what it was like, feel free to PM me!

ORvetgirl

Oregon State c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
One of my best friends from undergrad did their Kenya program, and now is in Ghana with peace corps. She loved the SFS program. It might take awhile for her to respond, but I can probably give you her email if you'd like it.

jennywren

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Houston, TX
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I was a student with SFS-Kenya back in 2001--loved it, loved it, loved it. Enough that I went back to Kenya for about a year and a half post-college to study baboons. Overall (especially once I was older) I think I preferred the experience of being there on my own--moving everywhere with a fair-sized group of Americans can feel clumsy at times--but my semester with SFS was invaluable for showing me the ins and outs of wildlife management and Kenyan politics and culture, and...just having a ton of fun. I believe pretty firmly that those few months gave me the incentive and the courage to get back there to do fieldwork on my own.

Feel free to PM me with more questions, though I'm fairly new to SDN and still figuring out how all this works...