Anyone know anything about University of Maryland FP residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radonc_gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about switching to FP. I'd like to know if anyone know about UMM FP residency? Benign? Malignant? Overworked?

Holla back,

radonc_gal

Members don't see this ad.

Went to UMaryland for Med School, am now at FM program in Midwest. FM program at UMD seemed to have similar problems as other NE FM programs. Faculty was very good; didactic teaching was a priority there. I know the residency director was trying to make it more of a top tier program and to make the department more respected within the hospital. UMD Hospital seems to be a good place to train at and you'll definetely stay busy. Can't give you too many specifics because I didn't apply there, but I know the residents were happy for the most part. I think getting OB experience was a problem. Several rotations (ICU/IM) were at a nice private hospital in another part of town. Hope this helps... let me know if there are any specifics I can answer.

a lot of what i am saying i wish was more substantiated, but i did want to pop in and tell you what i've heard cuz i know i would appreciate it if someone did it for me...

• about 5 years ago, folks used to say it was a malignant program. i used to hear that you'd never guess it was an FP program cuz it was so diehard. by the same token, i heard it was really really good and therefore took only the best. i think it's still a really good program, but not malignant at all
  • i agree wiht previous poster who says the PD wants to make the program top-notch. i've met him before nad have a lot of respect for him.
  • i've seen morning report and i was impressed. residents are expected to make powerpoint presentations / etc
  • i know someone who went ot um for med school and said she felt the FP residents weren't given as much repseoct as they should have in the hopsital. do u work there now as a radiation onc there now? do u agree? this kind of scared me.
  • the hospital is very nice as is the FP center
  • the FP sees A LOT of 'locals' - if you're interested in urban family med, this is a perfect op. i knwo it also serves as the student health clinic/office, but many students dreaded goign there cuz htey said the waiitng room gave them the heebie-jeebies because of hte patient population. kind of a mean thing to say,but i understood what she was trying to say.
  • the faculty i've met all seem to be AWESOME.this is obviuosly a huge plus.

i hope that helps, but i really hope others can chime in and say how much of this is true/exaggerated/etc... good luck!