Anyone know how to become an official Texas resident?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonydtgr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to TCOM! I'm pretty excited. The tuition is cheap for residents of Texas. Does anybody out there know the specific requirements for becoming an official resident of Texas?
I'd appreciate any help. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, instead of renting, get a loan for $30,000 condo. Payments will be 600-700 per month. You will have to pay full tuition your first year, but should save 30,000-40,000 over the next 3.

Sell the condo to another med student when you graduate.
So, essentially, you live free and save 30-40 thousand!

First, you have to learn to put up with those Texans! Then, you'll have to learn to make-fun of people from Oklahoma and Arkansas...two of their "national" past-times! Lastly, learn to bare irrepressibly HOT summers! Lastly, to get used to people who are genuinely friendly and fun to be around!

Seriously, I think what the above poster suggested will fulfill TX residency requirements. Best of luck at TCOM!! I have a couple of friends there a year ahead of you and they like it.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited 12-24-1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read on this site about the condo concept mentioned before. I guess that being a home owner makes you a state resident. I don't know anything about this, but it would definitely be worth looking into. The other way to become a state resident is to live in the state for a year. You have to prove this by showing a drivers license, bills, bank account, or whatever two pieces of information you have to prove that you have lived in the state for at least one year. Another stipulation of this is that you can not be a full time student during your year. If you are an out of stater who is going to attend next year, it looks like your best option would be the home owner approach.

Grow horns and mooooooove there! Just kidding.
Has anyone really done the housing bit because I know plenty of people who own housing in multiple states and they are resident of one state, based on where they make their cash and where they live most of the year. Since we all get D.Q'ed on the first condition it seems that the last post would be correct. However, like a sieve our laws are full of loopholes just dying to be milked. If this has been done enlighten me!
RH

what if i used the house address of someone I know that lives in Texas as my official residence (while I either actually live w/ them or rented my own apartment) for the first year? Would putting down their address as my official place of residence during that time make me a Texas resident?
Also, is it exactly 12 months that makes you a state resident? i was thinking of maybe just having a condo for a year and then selling it right after that (and rent an apartment) instead of after graduation.

You must purchase the house and live in it and pay any necessary taxes for the house/condo. Residency is based on the taxes and the registrars go to great lengths to determine residency if in question. This is a very popular method for the Medical/Dental schools in the Texas Medical Center in Houston.

I just called the Director of Admissions. Apparently, it's not that simple to obtain the official state residence and get that in-state tuition.
To get the in-state tuition, you have to work in Texas for a year before attending school.
Or you need to be in the dual degree problems or be a part of the national guard.
oh well.