Anyone know major differences between U of Chicago/Northwestern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everone, i really want to go to either of these schools, but my research experience is really sparce, I only did about 1 year of basic lab work (surgeries, kindling, etc..) that I really enjoyed, but I never got to actually do a big project. Should I even bother applying to these schools? I have good academics and extra-currcs, but I think the research dept. is hurting me.
peace

Members don't see this ad.

Do not worry about reseach experience. I interviewed at NUMS in early January of this year. On my interview day, I met two fellow interviewees from the same undergraduate institition as me. After the interview, we met at *Borders Bookstore* and talked. Of the three of us, I was the only one with research experience. The other two HAD NO prior research experience. I mean absolutely none. So, although both UC and NUMS are ranked very high in terms of research, I think they consider applicants without any research experience because they want a diverse class (i.e., students with different experiences). I ENCOURAGE YOU to apply to both schools. In fact, I think the best thing to do is to always apply to a school when in doubt because you never know if you will be accepted.

I wish I could tell you the final decision on all three of us. I can only tell you I was accepted. I suspect if my fellow interviewees were not accepted it was not because of research experience. Good luck to you. PLEASE REALIZE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE (I.E. AN INDEPENDENT PROJECT) IS NOT A PREREQUISITE AT ANY MEDICAL SCHOOL. Research experience, however, definitely helps your application.

thanks a lot man! So what was your take on NUMS? Was the location as awesome as I think it is? I'm an IL resident and hope to stay in state, but if i don't get in to either of these schools, then I'll be forced to go out, since I plan on attending a "decent" university.
thanks man
peace

Members don't see this ad :)
while you don't necessarily need it to be accepted, u of c is *really* big on research, as academic medicine is the school's claim to fame. i honestly have no idea how it will hurt you to not have much experience but everyone i know there has spent a good amount of time in a lab. it's one thing they really seem to look favorably upon.

i'm curious, however, to know why you want to go to 'either one of these schools'. they are extremely different and other than being in chicago, they do not have much in common. they see a totally different patient base and their curriculum styles are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

that's a good question, basically reflecting on myself, it seems I really haven't thought it out much. The thing I've been looking at so far is location/prestige. I guess I'm not informed enough on the differences in these two schools, would anyone please enlighten me on this matter?
thanks!

I went to uchicago undergrad and can tell you they are big on research...they have a national reputation for training physicians who want to become involved in academic medicine (i.e. research, or teaching). Northwestern on the other hand focuses more on making sure their students acquire good clinical skills, however, I am a bit skeptical on the diversity of their clinical experience when you consider the location of the school. As you know they are located a block away from the "miracle mile" in a very well-to-do (understatement) area of chicago. In all, it depends on what you want out of a school, so think about that. If you do like research and are interested in pursuing it professionally go to pritzker, which will also give you the clinical skills you need, but doesn't quite focus on them as much as Northwestern...

bump this badboy up
peace

schools big on research will take people w/o any experience. i met a student who is a duke medical school (which devotes the 3rd year of med school to research) student who did zero research until he got to medical school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mrhdream81:
•Hey everone, i really want to go to either of these schools, but my research experience is really sparce, I only did about 1 year of basic lab work (surgeries, kindling, etc..) that I really enjoyed, but I never got to actually do a big project. Should I even bother applying to these schools? I have good academics and extra-currcs, but I think the research dept. is hurting me.
peace•••••

I have absolutely no research experience and I got accepted to NU. I really like the attitude/environment/atmosphere of the school and it is probably where I'll go next year. I didn't apply to UofC because I've heard of its emphasis on research, but I don't know any actual facts about the school, I just didn't think I'd get in. Also I know one other person from my school that got in without research and another than has gotten in doing a ton of research.