Anyone know of any family friendly med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmberE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By family friendly I don't mean easier. I mean med schools that are known to have more familys than singles. Is there such a thing. I know of University of Utah, which is in our home state, but anyone know of any others? My husband is an older applicant and we have 2 children. We just want to be surrounded by other people in our same situation if thats even possible. :) I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
Amber

Members don't see this ad.

During my interviews at the Texas schools, it seemed like lots of students were either married or had kids. I guess it's a Southern thing.

When I interviewed at Rochester their were loads of babies in the yearbook and the tour people seemed proud of how flexible the school is with time off etc. On the other hand with a PBL curriculum you would spend more time in classrooms than if you attended a school that didn't expect you to show up to lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that Creighton seemed very family friendly. I know several M2 students who have children.

When I was interviewing at Wake Forest, they also seemed family friendly, I think a lot has to do with the community surrounding the school. I met several students with children there as well. I am hoping they are family friendly because that is where I am heading and my family is coming with me.

Einstein also seemed to be very family friendly. lots of famillies with kids living in the dorms

Here at UT-Houston, all of the lectures are streamed over the internet. You only have to come to the school for some required stuff like gross lab, micro labs, physical diagnosis stuff, etc. It's not any less work, but you can study and watch videos at your own pace and on your own schedule, as opposed to being forced to sit in class from 8-5 or whatever.

Of course thats only the first two years, in your third and fourth year you are living at the hospital!

Scott, MS2

Definitely Albert Einstein.... feel free to email/PM for more details.

best add UC Davis to that list....

i swear half the people at revisit were married or engaged...but its awesome they were able to find people that they loved...

they greatly support family and those type of relationships at davis...at 2nd look we talked about the high divorce rates of physicians and the difficulty of keeping those relationships during med schools...the dean really seemed concerned with trying to focus on why that is because those are not good trends and felt it was that med schools are partly to blame for these things...fortunately davis has a very family like supportive environment...apply to davis :)

just because the average age of the students is higher than those at allopathic schools, osteopathic schools tend to have more married people with/without kids.

Alexander99 said:
During my interviews at the Texas schools, it seemed like lots of students were either married or had kids. I guess it's a Southern thing.

I agree. Galveston and San Antonio seemed to have a good number of married students, but of course still nowhere near the majority.

USUHS is extremely family friendly as long as you don't mind military medicine. You even get paid to go to school (and get paid more if you have a family).

Medical college of ohio has an on campus day care and a fairly active spousal support group. Just what I have heard through the rumor-mill.

Thanks so much for all the posts, keep them coming.................

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimmer said:
When I interviewed at Rochester their were loads of babies in the yearbook and the tour people seemed proud of how flexible the school is with time off etc. On the other hand with a PBL curriculum you would spend more time in classrooms than if you attended a school that didn't expect you to show up to lectures.

Call me stupid but what does a PBL curriculum actually mean?

hakksar said:
USUHS is extremely family friendly as long as you don't mind military medicine. You even get paid to go to school (and get paid more if you have a family).

What do you mean by military medicine. Are you taking about joining the military and having them pay your tuiton and then you have to pay them back 4 years? Also the out-of -state tuition is horrible there at almost 65,000 a year. We were going to apply there since I have family in Denver but how can afford to pay back those enourmous loans. Are they trying to weed out all out-of-state applicants or what?

Albert Einstein and Rochester are both definitely very family-friendly schools and will accomodate to your needs.

Amber, I think you might the wrong school in mind. USUHS is the US military medical school, and doesn't have any tuition at all, I believe.

PBL is problem based learning. I am a big fan.

I disagree with a previous poster that PBL takes more classroom time. There are small group meetings but there is a lot less lecture time and a lot of the research and learning are done on your own as you see fit.

dsblaha said:
PBL is problem based learning. I am a big fan.

I disagree with a previous poster that PBL takes more classroom time. There are small group meetings but there is a lot less lecture time and a lot of the research and learning are done on your own as you see fit.

In order to be successful at this kind of learning don't you need to be a self starter and not a procrastinator. What are all the different types of learning curriculums in med schools and what are there pros and cons. What ones are good for what kinds of people because I know certain people have different learing styles.

liverotcod said:
Amber, I think you might the wrong school in mind. USUHS is the US military medical school, and doesn't have any tuition at all, I believe.

Why would a school not have tuition? If so it would seem that the learning would not be that great. I don't understand this school. Expain it to me please.

Maybe I should start a new forum for this but does anyone know if there is a med school that has a gym you and your spouse can use? If so, does it cost or is it a benefit of going to that med school?

Rochester is pretty family friendly as far as I can tell, as I SUNY Buffalo. The dean at Buffalo stressed that we are people - with outside lives, families etc.

USUHS does not have tuition, you get paid to go there, but then you have to commit many (7?) years to military medical serivce. The education is great, but there are definitely negatives too.

Also, Rochester has a gym in the medical complex that I think is free for students and cheap for spouses ($100/year I think). It's not a very big gym, but it is open 24/7.

~H

Okay first of all you need to figure out where in the country you would be willing to live and move to, then you have to figure out if the medical schools in those states take an out of state folks many do not, then you have to figure out if you are competitive for that school (mcat and gpa wise), then and only then once you know all of the above you can triage even more with "family friendly schools" which is probably most medical schools as more non-trads enter med school. What you will not find is a medical school class mostly comprised of married with kids folks for most medical school applicants are straight out of college. Trying to figure out now which schools are family friendly may be somewhat pointless IMHO....and yes most medical schools are supportive to those of us with families.

Actually, you can find a medical school class comprised MOSTLY of married/with children. A second year at the University of Utah told my husband that in his class (102 students)-there were 15 babies born last summer and that he estimates 75% married. If there is one, I thought there could be a possibility of more. Also, for us, where in the country is not nearly as important as the type of area. Our kids will be entering schools towards the end of med school so, for example, a school right in the middle of a big city with big problems in the public school systems would not be a first choice. I think it goes without saying that first and foremost we must be competitive. Thanks to the suggestions, I can go and investigate specific med schools to see if we are competitive and/or they accept outofstate students rather than aimlessly searching the multitude of schools. I have to disagree, I don't think this is at all a WASTE of time!!

efex101 said:
Okay first of all you need to figure out where in the country you would be willing to live and move to, then you have to figure out if the medical schools in those states take an out of state folks many do not, then you have to figure out if you are competitive for that school (mcat and gpa wise), then and only then once you know all of the above you can triage even more with "family friendly schools" which is probably most medical schools as more non-trads enter med school. What you will not find is a medical school class mostly comprised of married with kids folks for most medical school applicants are straight out of college. Trying to figure out now which schools are family friendly may be somewhat pointless IMHO....and yes most medical schools are supportive to those of us with families.

Einstein's gym is free for students. $300/year for family.

AmberE said:
What do you mean by military medicine. Are you taking about joining the military and having them pay your tuiton and then you have to pay them back 4 years? Also the out-of -state tuition is horrible there at almost 65,000 a year. We were going to apply there since I have family in Denver but how can afford to pay back those enourmous loans. Are they trying to weed out all out-of-state applicants or what?

Umm, I think you have Colorado mixed up with uniformed services university. USUHS belongs to the military and they pay you about $45,000/year as a student there, no tuition or other costs. The payback is 7 though not four years, and even that is not telling the whole story since they'll tack several more years on for the residency training. In response to the orriginal question, I don't know yet. I am going to UVa this year and I hope it's family friendly. Charlottesville has been ranked the #1 place in the nation to live though so I suppose it can't be too bad to go to school there with a family.

The Utah school is not the norm though at most schools that I interviewd at most of the folks were single. Also I did not state that your post was a waste of time but somewhat pointless until you compare stats, etc...when I mentioned the area of the country I was meaning the same thing that you are looking for city vs not, small town vs rural. Some of the schools mentioned on the previous posts take a minute amount of out of state folks *that* is why I suggested (but opinions are like arse@@@@) to first see what schools you are even considering then triage for family friendly. Cheers.

When I interviewed at UT Houston last summer, they mentioned free day-care; one girl who guided our tour was accepted after interviewing while eight months pregnant.

Baylor offers all classes online and condenses the two years of book-learnin' into 18 months, giving us a total of 10 months of 'free' time in the last 2 1/2 years. I consider that LIFE-friendly; I want to travel, but several people at Baylor said they plan to use that time to schedule baby-makin'.

Good luck!

for most med schools that have a gym, then the cost of the gym is included in the tuition/fees. family members on the other hand are not able to use the services for no extra charge. gotta pay some more $$.

I found both Univ of Kentucky and Univ of Cincinnati to be pretty family friendly. Im not sure of the % of married w/ kids students at either... but they both have schedules that should allow a parent to be home and relatively obligation free from 5 pm on (since class is out most days by noon).

OHSU. They even talk about it on your interview day and the school is now accepting a greater number of out of staters into their program. Plus classes end before noon.

curlycity said:
...use that time to schedule baby-makin'...

As long as they're not scheduling all the practice sessions! It's sad when it comes to that.

USUHS is the United States University of Health Services (i think this is correct). There is no tuition because Uncle Sam pays for you to go to school. In return you serve your country in a branch of the military for four years following graduation ( I do not know if your residency counts as your service). However, there are also quite a few miltary scholorships given out. As I understand it you can promise the same four years of service and go to the school of your choice and the US taxpayers will pay for it.