Anyone know of any good mock medical interviews to watch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I learn best by watching. I'm looking real mock interviews with an interviewer and an applicant, not just some guy in front of a camera going through interview questions and answers. I've done tons of searching on Youtube, and I can't seem to find much. In fact, most videos are for UK med school interviews, which is ok but not ideal.

Here are the only videos I've found of American med school interviews:

(Poor kid... this one was painful to watch D: Hope he did better on the real thing)

So yeah... I could only find 3 mock interviews in all of Youtube. Seems like there should be more. I guess I'm just not very resourceful or something. Does anyone know of any other videos?

Members don't see this ad.

^^^that kid in the 2nd two....
Talk about unprepared....
Yup... that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Gotta give him props for putting himself out there, though. I feel like watching his interview has definitely helped me.

Honestly, he seems like a really nice guy - he just bombed this interview, unfortunately. Also, if you really think about it - his answers were more like the answers that you would give to a friend who asks you the same questions. And people wonder how liars slip into med schools. It's because all that lying has taught them to be good interviewees!

Also, I found another video (not sure if it counts lol):

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Found some pretty good bits in Kevin Ahern's videos. Not an interview, though, just more aboit strategy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Found some pretty good bits in Kevin Ahern's videos. Not an interview, though, just more aboit strategy.

Yeah, I've watched those. Definitely very helpful. I just wish there were more mock interview videos.

Yeah, I've watched those. Definitely very helpful. I just wish there were more mock interview videos.
Have you had an interview? Most I know who did a mock interview say it didn't really help them. Night before my interviews I would just rehearse, out loud, at a good cadence, why I want to pursue medicine (and more specifically, why DO). Otherwise, I know what are my strong attributes/experiences and I provide those anecdotes in answers.

Hard to really prepare further than that, I think.

Edit: Also read my PS. 5 times the night before and secondary essays.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't mean to be rude and I know this is going to sound meaner than I intend via the internet - you shouldn't need to watch a bunch of videos to learn how to have a conversation with somebody. Most medical school interviews are pretty laid back and don't have any "trick" questions, at least out of the ones I went to. Know your application, know stuff about the school, have a couple bullet points for the common questions (why medicine, why this school, strengths/weaknesses, a little blurb on each of your major activities, etc.), but otherwise just chill out and have a conversation. Overthink it - which you are dangerously close to doing - and you'll come off as scripted or robotic.
What comes easy to you might not come easy to other people

Okay, assuming you're a person who's been meeting people all his life, I doubt speaking casually to random people will help your professional interview skills, especially if it's a behavioral interview. I suggest you find someone who is honest and can point out all your mistakes. Put a bunch of questions in a hat, pull them out randomly and practice improvising your answers. Videotape it if you can so you can correct all your flaws.

Last edited:
Okay, assuming you're a regular person who's been meeting people all his life (I hope??), I doubt meeting even MORE people will help your professional interview skills, especially if it's a behavioral interview. I suggest you find someone who is honest and can point out all your mistakes. Put a bunch of questions in a hat, pull them out randomly and practice improvising your answers. Videotape it if you can so you can correct all your flaws.

That's a big assumption. NN's response to @cj_cregg made me think talking to new people is not a strength of his. That takes practice.

if anyone has any good examples of MMIs that would be greatly appreciated

^^^that kid in the 2nd two....
Talk about unprepared....
I couldn't get through 5 minutes of it. At least he made some eye contact and had a decent voice level?

So I googled the kid in the second video and apparently he's in grad school now. (I have no life)

So I googled the kid in the second video and apparently he's in grad school now. (I have no life)
Yeah, I found him too. Didn't wanna post it though cause I didn't wanna dox him. Couldn't really find much other info anyway, though.

But I feel like talking to your friends isn't the same as being interviewed...
You might be surprised! Obviously it's not quite like talking to your friends, but a healthy amount of my interviews had shockingly little medicine-related conversation in them, really more similar to a regular conversation (which makes it sting a little bit more when you get waitlisted, of course :(). But I think if you have good answers to the questions you know you're going to get, know your application back and forth, and can hold a conversation, you should be fine. Quite honestly I'm not sure how they even evaluate them. MMIs of course are a different story altogether.