prominence

15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
Any recommendations of how to get into politics, coming from a background consisting of medical degree with residency training? Is a law degree viewed as a minimum requirement for such a candidate?

alreadylernd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
prominence said:
Any recommendations of how to get into politics, coming from a background consisting of medical degree with residency training? Is a law degree viewed as a minimum requirement for such a candidate?

Well, Howard Dean and Bill Frist are probably at opposite ends of the political spectrum and both of them were practicing doctors before getting into law (Dean was an internist I believe, and Frist was a cardiac surgeon or cardiologist or something)

The best way to get into politics is start small (local), unless you're a famous athlete/actor etc. etc., then you get a free ticket to the big show. Another thing to consider is to use your medical degree and be like a health advisor to an existing politician.

alreadylernd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
alreadylernd said:
Well, Howard Dean and Bill Frist are probably at opposite ends of the political spectrum and both of them were practicing doctors before getting into law (Dean was an internist I believe, and Frist was a cardiac surgeon or cardiologist or something)

The best way to get into politics is start small (local), unless you're a famous athlete/actor etc. etc., then you get a free ticket to the big show. Another thing to consider is to use your medical degree and be like a health advisor to an existing politician.

Oops, I meant to type "politics" and not "law". I don't think either of them have law degrees.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Pir8DeacDoc said:
Dr. Frist is a CT surgeon.
^H^H^H ^H^H^H^H^H Asshat. Sorry for that typo.

(I'd put a smiley here but I hate that stuff and I only kind of mean it.)

BE (Now PE)

Jocomama

Make 'em bleed!
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI and Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
Plastic surgeon - representative until losing senate race in 2001-2002
prominence said:

Pir8DeacDoc

Cerumen Extractor
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. It's just that being a CT surgeon is different than being a cardiologist. Give the man his proper respect. :thumbup:

TxMed

SpottieOttieDopalicious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Status
Medical Student
yaah said:
There's an OB-GYN who is a congressman from Georgia. Can't remember his name offhand but he is solidly in the religious right camp.
that would be phil gingrey...he delivered me actually...nice hands

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
jama published an article about docs in congress a couple yrs ago --

They found that 25 of 2,196 members of Congress during the past 44 years were physicians. These members represented 17 states, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Eight physicians are currently serving in Congress, notably Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), the Senate Majority Leader. One of the major Democratic candidates for President in the early going, Howard Dean, is a doctor.

Sixty percent of those doctors were Republican, which is significantly higher than the average number (45.1 percent) of Republicans in Congress during that time. Almost 7 percent of all members of Congress in the past 44 years have been females, yet only 4 percent of physician members of Congress have been female.

The average time a member of Congress served was 12.3 years, but only 9.2 years for physicians, according to the study.
http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2004/11/02/hscout522129.html

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Sixty percent of those doctors were Republican
Personally I find that disappointing.

But you know, that's just me.

secretwave101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Bruchmulbach, Germany
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Dean was an internist (pretty sure his wife is a pediatrician), but he only BARELY practiced before he launched into politics. For awhile, he did both part-time. It was a minor complaint against him...that he was never really "into" medicine and just used it to get into politics. In response, his med school evaluations were made public (Albert Einstein U). They weren't stellar, but were certainly complimentary and showed that Dean was capable of making a fine doctor. He did fine in residency, too. I thought it was a stupid argument lobbed at him by a losing Republican opponent. At any rate, he answered those critics adeptly at the time and his influence and fame grew rapidly from there. Too bad for the screeeeam.

In terms of getting into politics, all roads to the big show are tough. Medical training is probably more work than necessary. Law school and making contacts through those years is usually the best route. Ultimately though, it depends on you and your political skills and what kind of people you're able to court into your "corner".

I watched my bro rise from smart high-school kid, work with the DA through law school, then work as a strategic advisor on a number of campaigns in CO (statewide and national) which were all successful...which then lead to a pretty influential position with the Governor. He was on a first-name basis with both US senators and Gov. Owens, as well as many state senators (he was kinda a Dick Morris for CO republicans). Then he had a relationship with an underage girl...and it's been a tough many years ever since, including jail, believe it or not (the news coverage was withering, and humiliating for our family). But, while on his meteoric rise, he gave me a few pointers. He wanted me to campaign for a local state rep race, and I still wonder how I might have done. I'm probably a little too obtuse with my honest opinions to be successful in politics, but then again, it's the powerful people around you that often get you into the office. Given my bro's connections at the time, "I" probably would have "won" that race.

Anyway, you can jump right in like Dean, or practice for awhile and then get involved. Up to you. You'll need a little luck and strategic positioning too.