GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
i had my plan all set out to do 3 EM months: July at a county hospital, august at community and september at academic...but I just recently found out that our school changed their policy and is not allowing more than 2 rotations in the same specialty... this sucks

So I'm thinkin of doing 2 EM months and 1 peds EM month (which should count for pediatrics). Does this sound like a good way to make up for losing an EM month? I figure Peds EM wouldn't be too different from general EM (since children are seen in both), and it will make me more comfortable seeing kids in the ED....

that said....anyone know any Peds EM electives in Chicago?

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status
Post Doc
GiJoe said:
i had my plan all set out to do 3 EM months: July at a county hospital, august at community and september at academic...but I just recently found out that our school changed their policy and is not allowing more than 2 rotations in the same specialty... this sucks

So I'm thinkin of doing 2 EM months and 1 peds EM month (which should count for pediatrics). Does this sound like a good way to make up for losing an EM month? I figure Peds EM wouldn't be too different from general EM (since children are seen in both), and it will make me more comfortable seeing kids in the ED....

that said....anyone know any Peds EM electives in Chicago?
Why do you need more than 2 EM rotations?

- H

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Go to the SAEM website and look under undergrad rotations then click on Illinois. Look under special opportunities.

http://saem.org/rotation/il.htm

Looks like U of C has that option I would also look at Cook County.

TylerDurden

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I agree that you probably do not need 3 EM months, but if you want good Peds EM consider Northwestern. I think they have a Pedi EM fellowship and therefore likely have good Peds volume and teaching. However, I do not have any personal experience with their peds EM.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
Visit site
Status
FoughtFyr said:
Why do you need more than 2 EM rotations?

- H
i figured 3 EM months was the norm... 1 to see if you like it and then 2 aways...

Considering EM is getting very competitive now, I'm thinking only 2 EM months might not be enough

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status
Post Doc
realruby2000 said:
i figured 3 EM months was the norm... 1 to see if you like it and then 2 aways...

Considering EM is getting very competitive now, I'm thinking only 2 EM months might not be enough
2 EM months is more than enough. You are not trying to do your intern year during M4. Yes, it is more competitive, but no program requires three SLORs. Do two months, get your letters and apply.

- H

Dr.Evil1

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
Status
Attending Physician
There is no advantage to doing 3 months of ER unless you are VERY interested in two away programs that are super competitive and that tend to give interview preference to students who rotate through the department