Anyone know of anyone with a dual MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of anyone with a dual MD/DO degree. If so, do you know how they got the 2nd degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Lexmark said:
Anyone know of anyone with a dual MD/DO degree. If so, do you know how they got the 2nd degree?

You may want to start searching the nearest mental asylums.... other than that, I can't imagine anywhere you'd find a dual MD/DO

NYCOM's emigre program. Many are in the NYC area and quite a few are Eastern European.

http://www.md-do.org/APEP @ NYCOM.htm

A few DOs acquired an MD in the eighties with an extra year as a 'student' at Spartan. Ross had an abbreviated program for DOs in the early '90s.

Lexmark said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Knew a guy who was a FMG then came to US. Decided that he would need 2 years to study and take all his boards. Enrolled in DO school, figured he could take 2 more years for clinicals and have a shot at getting a better residency, and since he already knew everything would rock the exams and have a high gpa. Took USMLES too and got his foreign MD recognized. still ended up in FP anyway.

hekklor said:
Knew a guy who was a FMG then came to US. Decided that he would need 2 years to study and take all his boards. Enrolled in DO school, figured he could take 2 more years for clinicals and have a shot at getting a better residency, and since he already knew everything would rock the exams and have a high gpa. Took USMLES too and got his foreign MD recognized. still ended up in FP anyway.

That's not how it works for most. Prefontaine had it more correctly laid-out.

NYCOM is the only program that allows true IMGs to do this. They have to repeat the first two pre-clinical years, take the COMLEX (and, if they want USMLE), repeat their core clerkship (i.e., third year), and then graduate. In other words, they can complete the DO program in three years. They are the only osteopathy program in the U.S. currently allowing IMGs to do this.

Legally, they are still only DOs, not MD/DOs. However, if they do take all three USMLE steps, complete an allopathic residency, and then license themself in a state, I suppose they could still be technically an MD with an extra DO degree. I don't personally know of anyone who has specifically done this (why bother if you're going to take the USMLE anyway), although one attending I knew put MD/DO on her business cards despite the fact that she was not licensed as an MD. In most states, this would be against the law. You can only represent yourself legally according to the license you have. So, if you went to an MD-granting program in another country, come here to do NYCOM's bridging program, and then license yourself as a DO (after taking COMLEX, completing residency), you are legally a DO - not an MD/DO (i.e., your foreign degree doesn't matter for anything except that it got you into NYCOM's acclerated program).

-Skip