Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Anyone know the date when Harvard first started interviewing for New Pathways?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Spyder007, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Spyder007

Spyder007 Member
    7+ Year Member

...and for those of you who have gone, what did you think?

Peace

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know the date they started interviewing. I was invited in early December, but I chose an interview date in late January. I would definitely go there if they accept me. I thought my interviewers were cool. The only thing that was sort of awkward was when one of my interviewers found out my religion (Mormon), she said: "Is that sort of something you grew up with?" almost like it was a disease. People make my religion an issue at every interview, which really sucks. I'm just a normal guy. At lunch, another applicant said to me: "Are you REALLY a Mormon?" I about died. Does this strike anyone else as a little strange? I would never dare say something like that to people about their culture or faith.

Anyway, Harvard is the best! It would be a dream come true if I could go there! :D

4. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

DOC J,
    what did you like about Harvard? How did it compare to your other interviews/acceptances?

5. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

First of all, the facilities are tremendous. I loved the students, and it seemed like a really good learning environment. Academic reputation is very important to me, too. The other thing that I really like about Harvard is the fact that they have great diversity. That is something especially important to me since I did my undergraduate degrees at BYU, one of the least diverse universities in the country. (BYU has hundreds of international students, but culturally people are quite similar.) Anyhow, those are just a few of many things about Harvard that I love. :) Both of my interviewers were quite complimentary of my application, so I'm hopeful--but I also realize that compliments don't necessarily mean anything.

6. Spyder007

Spyder007 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hopefully no one has meant any disrespect with their comments about you being Mormon. Many people have probably never met too many Mormons (I have only met one) and so maybe it catches people by surprise. And then there are those who just straight up lack any tact, but what can you do...

As for Harvard, were you invited as a regular MD applicant back in December or as an MD/PhD applicant? And how many people were there with you?

7. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I realize that for some people meeting a Mormon is sort a unique experience--and I definitely don't blame people. I just think that some people have major misconceptions, and I hate talking about it so much during my interviews. It's just weird, and I don't think it helps me get accepted.

There were 11 other interviewees the day I was there. 10 of them were from California, 1 from another state, and then me--from Utah. They all seemed like great people.

8. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

I forgot to answer your other question. I was invited as a regular MD applicant to the New Pathway interview, but I applied to MD/PhD also. I would DEFINITELY go there as regular MD student if accepted.

9. Spyder007

Spyder007 Member
    7+ Year Member

You say being Mormon may be a hinderance? Actually, I think it could help. Schools love diversity and having people of different faiths only adds to that diversity. Plus, I believe many Mormons take atleast 2 years off to undertake so sort of humanitarian work, which is the kind of stuff anyone would love.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Harvard as well, and would definitely love to have the opportunity to go there. Just wanted to see how many people have interviewed so far since it seems like those receiving invites in February would be a little late. I don't know if that means chances are then a little slimmer of getting in, though I believe that is usually the case.

10. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I lived in Siberia for two years and learned Russian. Still, it seems that when it is associated with the Mormon Church, in some people's minds, it is somehow less significant than if it were done independently. Hopefully that will help, but I've been waitlisted by a bunch of schools already... Seriously, though, I can really sense that there are some interviewers who have negative feelings or maybe just ignorance about Mormons. I did NOT sense anything negative at Harvard, though. There were just a lot of comments, and I don't like being know as "The Mormon"...it's just weird for me. Some people think we're anti-science, too...which is TOTALLY not true. I totally accept human evolution, etc.